'We do not enter this equation' – Barcelona never in the running for Mbappe or Haaland, says Xavi

By Sports Desk May 21, 2022

Xavi has insisted Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland were never realistic targets for Barcelona, though he is confident he will have money to invest in the squad. 

Barca wrap up what has been a turbulent season against Villarreal on Sunday. 

The Blaugrana will finish second in LaLiga, a testament to the work done by Xavi since he replaced the much-maligned Ronald Koeman earlier in the campaign. 

However, they were knocked out of the Champions League in the group stage and fell to a defeat to eventual winners Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League quarter-finals, while there was no success in the Copa del Rey either. 

The 2021-22 season came on the back of Lionel Messi's shock departure, as Barca grappled with financial issues that saw the superstar leave for Paris Saint-Germain. 

Ferran Torres, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Adama Traore arrived to bolster the squad in January, though the latter two were on a free transfer and a loan respectively. 

Barca were linked with moves for Mbappe and Haaland. However, Mbappe is weighing up offers from Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid while Haaland is joining Manchester City, and Xavi has claimed there was never any chance of the Blaugrana having the financial capability to sign such players. 

 

"Ask me another question," he told a news conference on Saturday. "Mbappe, let him do what he wants, let him be happy.  

"We do not enter into this equation. I do not understand the question. 

"We cannot put a lot of money in. The economic situation is what it is. We did not enter the bidding of Haaland or Mbappe but that is what we have inherited. 

"There is no need to look back. You have to carry on. We have to compete and win titles again, we need to be competitive from now on. 

"The president transmits confidence to me and that we will be able to invest in our squad. We have made a plan and we will try to execute it.  

"The economic situation is serious but it is not my turn to talk about money. I'm here to talk about football. The economic problems are what they are, but let's talk about football." 

One player who has been heavily linked is Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski, who plundered 50 goals in all competitions in the 2021-22 campaign. 

 

No player across Europe's top five leagues has scored more goals than the Poland striker this season, but he has told Bayern he wishes to leave and will not be signing a new contract, with his deal ending in June 2023. 

However, LaLiga president Javier Tebas on Friday cast doubt on Barca's ability to be able to afford the 34-year-old. 

Asked about Lewandowski, Xavi said: "It is one of the possibilities that may come. He has said it himself.  

"There are some negotiations involved. It will not be easy with Bayern involved." 

One possible outgoing at Barca who could free up funds would be Frenkie de Jong. Both Manchester clubs are credited with an interest in the Netherlands international who joined from Ajax in 2019, though it has been reported the 25-year-old is in no rush to leave the Camp Nou. 

"Here we go back to talking about the economic situation," replied Xavi when pressed on the De Jong speculation.  

"He is, for me, a great player who is very capable and very dominating, he can help us a lot, but we go back to talking about money and I don't want to do that." 

Related items

  • Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus

    Jorge Jesus says Fenerbahce have no chance of signing Cristiano Ronaldo as the Manchester United forward wants to play in one of the 'big five' leagues.

    The Red Devils are reportedly open to offers for the Portugal captain, who only returned to Old Trafford from Juventus last September.

    Ronaldo was on the bench for United's 2-1 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in their opening game of the Premier League season, before starting in the chastening 4-0 thrashing at Brentford last Saturday.

    The prolific forward's future has long since been the subject of speculation and Fenerbahce are among a host of clubs said to be keen to sign him before the transfer window closes on September 1.

    Fenerbahce head coach Jesus has ruled out any possibility that the prolific 37-year-old could be on his way to Turkey.

    He said: "Yes, I'm a friend of Ronaldo, But he doesn't want to come, he has other ideas.

    "I think he doesn't want to play in any league other than one of the big five."

    Asked if he thinks Ronaldo will stay at United, the Portuguese replied: "I know that he will not play for Fenerbahce."

  • Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United over the ramifications of an exit for Cristiano Ronaldo, expressing his fears the club could finish in the bottom half of the table.

    United's start to life under Erik ten Hag has been woeful, losing back-to-back matches against Brighton and Hove Albion and Brentford to sit at the foot of the Premier League.

    Pressure is already mounting on Ten Hag, who faces a stern test on Monday against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, and the final weeks of the transfer window could be decisive.

    United have been linked with a host of players, but the biggest story continues to be the future of Ronaldo, who is widely reported to be pushing for an exit due to his desire to play Champions League football.

    Reports on Tuesday suggest United's stance has changed, with the club now said to be willing to listen to offers for the 37-year-old, but Neville is fearful of the impact his departure could have.

    "I think there's a massive decision they have to make on Cristiano Ronaldo and they're damned if they do, damned if they don't," he said on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

    "A few weeks ago before the season started, these two results, [the] best thing to do was facilitate a move out the club for Cristiano because he's obviously not happy and the club aren't happy with him.

    "The problem they have now is if they lose him, there's nothing left in terms of the goalscoring part of the pitch and I genuinely think if they don't bring players in or if they bring in poor players in and he leaves, I genuinely think they can finish in the bottom half of the table.

    "That's a bottom half of the table team, that's a massive statement."

    Suitors for Ronaldo appear to be few and far between, with Italian giants Inter and Milan said to have rebuffed a potential move, while fans of Atletico Madrid have made their feelings against a transfer clear.

  • Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht

    Manchester City have confirmed the signing of full-back Sergio Gomez on a four-year deal from Anderlecht.

    The 21-year-old, formerly of Barcelona's youth set-up and Borussia Dortmund, worked with ex-City captain Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club and has joined for a reported fee of £11million.

    Gomez is City's fourth acquisition of the transfer window, following on from the captures of Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    "I am incredibly proud and happy to have joined Manchester City," he told the club's official website.

    "City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.

    "To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something any young player would aspire to.

    "The number of trophies City have won over the past few years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.

    "Playing for and being guided by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.

    "I've heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I can't wait to get started and to try and help the Club achieve even more."

    City have won their opening two Premier League fixtures against West Ham and Bournemouth, with Newcastle United next up on Sunday. 

    Our new number 21 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/5oGXj5ZdUY

    — Manchester City (@ManCity) August 16, 2022
© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.