Rumour Has It: Barcelona determined to sign Liverpool's Salah

By Sports Desk March 26, 2022

Barcelona have re-established themselves this term after a strong January transfer window.

Barca head coach Xavi, appointed in November, has overseen a major form reversal culminating in last week's 4-0 Clasico win.

The Blaugrana have their sights set on more additions as they continue to re-build after Lionel Messi's exit last year.

TOP STORY - BARCELONA SET SIGHTS ON SALAH

Barcelona boss Xavi is determined to land Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah , claims Mundo Deportivo.

The cash-strapped Catalans have switched their attention from the race for Borussia Dortmund's Erling Haaland.

Salah is yet to re-sign with Liverpool where he is out of contract in 2023.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta said he will not put the club at financial risk in order to sign Erling Haaland, per Fabrizio Romano for Mundo Deportivo.

 

ROUND-UP

- Liverpool will not pursue West Ham United's Declan Rice amid interest from several clubs in the England international midfielder, claims Football Insider.

- Leeds United has rejected a £29million bid from  Barcelona  for 25-year-old Brazilian winger  Raphinha , whose release clause is set at £60million, according to Sport.

- Arsenal midfielder  Granit Xhaka  remains a transfer target for  Roma head coach Jose Mourinho, per the Gazzetta dello Sport.

- According to the Daily Mail, Wolves and Portugal winger  Pedro Neto  is on  Paris Saint-Germain's  wanted list.

Related items

  • Sancho left out of Man Utd training camp trip to Spain Sancho left out of Man Utd training camp trip to Spain

    Jadon Sancho will not be a part of Manchester United's training camp in Spain, instead staying behind to work on an individual programme "as part of a process to get back to his highest level."

    United will spend a week in Spain preparing for the return of domestic football, playing friendlies against Cadiz on Wednesday and Real Betis on Saturday.

    Erik ten Hag will be without 13 first team players due to the World Cup, while the Premier League club confirmed that Sancho – who missed out on a place in Gareth Southgate's England squad for Qatar 2022 – will also not be present.

    The 22-year-old was recently spotted training with Dutch amateur side OJC Rosmalen, reportedly with coaches recommended by Ten Hag.

    United confirmed on Sunday on their website: "Jadon Sancho is continuing his individual training programme as part of a process to get back to his highest level. The club is fully supporting him in this."

    Sancho has three goals and one assist in 14 games (12 starts) for his club this season, having only managed five goals and three assists in 38 games (27 starts) last campaign following a £73million (€85m) move from Borussia Dortmund.

    United will also be without defensive trio Axel Tuanzebe, Aaron Wan Bissaka and Brandon Williams in Spain as they continue their recoveries from injury.

    The Red Devils return to competitive action in the EFL Cup on December 21 when they host Burnley in the fourth round, before resuming their Premier League campaign at home to Nottingham Forest on December 27.

  • Man Utd not at same level as Madrid - Van Dijk offers Gakpo advice and takes swipe at Liverpool's rivals Man Utd not at same level as Madrid - Van Dijk offers Gakpo advice and takes swipe at Liverpool's rivals

    Virgil van Dijk said Manchester United are not "at the same level" as Real Madrid as he offered transfer advice to his in-form Netherlands team-mate Cody Gakpo.

    PSV forward Gakpo scored in each of the Netherlands' three group-stage games and played alongside Van Dijk as the Dutch defeated the United States 3-1 to reach the World Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.

    With nine goals in 14 Eredivisie games this season, Gakpo's stock has continued to rise in Qatar and rumours of a switch to United have exacerbated since the Red Devils terminated the contract of Cristiano Ronaldo.

    LaLiga heavyweights Madrid have also been registered with an interest, while Liverpool are also reportedly monitoring the situation.

    Van Dijk has no doubt Gakpo is ready to take the next step in his career but offered a cheeky dig at Liverpool's rivals when speaking to reporters after the USA game.

    "Are Manchester United and Real Madrid on the same level? No disrespect, not at all," he said.

    "I definitely think he has that next step in him. I definitely feel like it could happen, whether that is in the winter or the summer or next year, time will tell. 

    "He is a great boy who works hard, very talented and definitely there is more in him. We are so pleased he is doing so well for us. Long may it continue."

    Gakpo did little to quell rumours of a January move when speaking to De Telegraaf about his future last week.

    "As it stands now, I will still be playing for PSV after the winter break," he said. "But, as I said before the start of the World Cup, we will see what will happen."

  • Kane will 'come alive' for England against Senegal, says Rooney Kane will 'come alive' for England against Senegal, says Rooney

    Wayne Rooney has backed Harry Kane to end his World Cup goalscoring drought and "come alive" in England's last-16 clash with Senegal.

    Captain Kane has yet to find the net at the finals, though he has provided three assists for Gareth Southgate's side.

    Kane won the golden boot at the 2018 World Cup with six goals and Rooney expects the pressure of the knockout stages to inspire a return to that kind of form.

    "Harry Kane is made for these games," England's record goalscorer wrote in his column in The Times. 

    "The games that are tighter, where the pressure is higher, where the football has to be more calculated – they are where Harry steps up.

    "He hasn't scored in the tournament yet but I think there will be a shift in his mindset. He'll think, 'right, it's on me now to make sure we progress', and I think this is when he'll come alive.

    "Gareth's other forwards are talented but no one has Harry's consistency. He is always calm and composed and he doesn't let misses bother him.

    "Failing to score in the group stage won't affect him like at Euro 2016, where you could see frustration. I reckon this will be more like Euro 2020 when we had similar conversations about his lack of goals in the group stage – and then he started scoring."

    Rooney anticipates changes to the starting XI from the 3-0 win over Wales, but would stick with both Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford in the front three.

    "It wouldn't surprise me if Gareth brought back Sterling or Bukayo Saka, and maybe even both," the DC United manager added.

    "I think he will leave either Foden or Marcus Rashford out and will be keen to use Sterling because he knows and trusts Raheem more than any of the other wide forwards.

    "Me? I would stick with the side that beat Wales and keep Rashford and Foden. Foden gives you better control and helps you a lot more and you could see Rashford's confidence grow after his goals against the Welsh. Confidence is key with him."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.