Deschamps insists leaving Zouma out of France squad 'a sporting choice'

By Sports Desk March 17, 2022

France boss Didier Deschamps insisted his decision to drop Kurt Zouma was "only a sporting choice" and not linked to an incident that saw the defender appear to attack a pet cat.

Zouma was called up for World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Finland in November but was notably absent when Deschamps named his latest squad on Thursday.

Animal welfare charity the RSPCA has begun the process of bringing a prosecution against the West Ham player and his brother Yoan after video footage emerged of the alleged attack on the cat in February.

Zouma has continued to be selected by West Ham boss David Moyes in spite of public outrage, although the 27-year-old has been fined "the maximum amount possible" – reported to be £250,000 – and has apologised.

Deschamps was asked about the reason for leaving Zouma out of his plans for friendlies against Ivory Coast and South Africa, and stressed he had not taken off-field factors into account.

"I don't know if it's a strong choice," he said of Zouma's omission. "I don't know, because I haven't called him up systematically.

"In November, he came because Raphael Varane was injured. This remains a sporting choice, only sporting, as with all the choices I make.

"I've had him on the telephone and spoken with him about this affair, but I'm not going to go back over that. I've spoken about it. It remains solely a sporting choice."

Zouma started four games for France in 2021 but was often not actively involved, as Deschamps indicated.

There was also no room in France's latest 23-player group for Olivier Giroud, despite the veteran striker helping Milan lead the way in the Serie A title race.

Giroud has not featured for France since Les Bleus exited Euro 2020 at the hands of Switzerland last June.

Deschamps said: "It's going well for him at the moment. He's scoring important goals with Milan. I'm happy for him.

"I've got decisions to make. I know what Olivier is capable of doing with us. He remains available to France even if I haven't called him up for this get-together."

The head coach handed first call-ups to RB Leipzig forward Christopher Nkunku and Lens defender Jonathan Clauss, saying he had been impressed with their club performances and adding: "I think now is the right time to have a look at them."

France play Ivory Coast in Marseille on March 25, and South Africa in Lille four days later.

France squad: Areola (West Ham), Lloris (Tottenham), Maignan (Milan); Clauss (Lens), Digne (Aston Villa), L Hernandez (Bayern Munich), T Hernandez (Milan), Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Kounde (Sevilla), Pavard (Bayern Munich), Varane (Manchester United); Guendouzi (Marseille), Kante (Chelsea), Pogba (Manchester United), Rabiot (Juventus), Tchouameni (Monaco); Ben Yedder (Monaco), Benzema (Real Madrid), Coman (Bayern Munich), Diaby (Bayer Leverkusen), Griezmann (Atletico Madrid), Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Nkunku (RB Leipzig).

Related items

  • England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential

    Jamie Bynoe-Gittens was hailed as a "very special" talent as the latest English star to dazzle for Borussia Dortmund signed a new long-term contract.

    England Under-19 star Bynoe-Gittens has committed to the German club until June 30, 2025, with the news emerging swiftly in the wake of his first Bundesliga goal.

    The 18-year-old scored an equaliser as Dortmund went on to beat Freiburg 3-1 last Friday, following in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham in becoming another exciting young English player to emerge at the club.

    Bynoe-Gittens was acquired from Manchester City in September 2020 and played for Dortmund's age-group sides until recently breaking into the first-team ranks.

    He has played just 159 minutes in the Bundesliga, spread across one start and four substitute appearances, but Dortmund are massively excited about his potential.

    Sporting director Sebastian Kehl, a former Germany international, said: "Jamie's speed and creativity have always been excellent. With his unpredictability in one-on-one situations, he gives our squad a very special element even at his young age.

    "It's fun to watch him work on himself and his game. We think he still has a lot more potential for development, and we will give him the time he needs to do it."

    Dortmund announced the new deal in an official club statement, saying it was agreed last week.

    Bynoe-Gittens, who helped England win the Under-19 Euros in July, said the new Dortmund deal "means a lot to me".

    The teenager told the club's website: "It was always my goal to continue at BVB after the coronavirus and some injuries at the beginning of my journey that has just begun.

    "Now I can't wait to continue working hard on myself and my game to hopefully help the team in the coming months and years."

  • Di Maria blow as Juventus lose injured Argentinian for Sampdoria clash Di Maria blow as Juventus lose injured Argentinian for Sampdoria clash

    Juventus playmaker Angel Di Maria faces at least 10 days out of action after suffering an adductor injury in the 3-0 victory over Sassuolo.

    The Argentina international made his debut for the Serie A giants and opened the scoring before providing an assist for Dusan Vlahovic's second goal of the night – after the forward made it 2-0 from the penalty spot.

    Concern for Di Maria arose in the second period, however, as the former Paris Saint-Germain man was forced off through injury.

    Juventus have now announced Di Maria's situation will be reviewed in 10 days' time, meaning he must miss next Monday's clash against Sampdoria.

    A club statement read: "Angel Di Maria underwent radiological examinations this morning ... which revealed a low-grade lesion of the adductor longus muscle of the left thigh. The extent of the injury will be re-evaluated in 10 days."

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri stated after the final whistle that he was not worried about the potential setback for his recruit.

    Allegri told DAZN: "Unfortunately, these things happen in football. He had this adductor issue a week ago too. Perhaps I should've taken him off when we were 3-0 up, but he was enjoying himself out there."

  • Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card

    Crystal Palace defender Joachim Andersen has highlighted the torrent of abuse he has received on social media following the club's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield.

    The Danish defender was involved in one of the biggest flashpoints of the game, when Reds forward Darwin Nunez headbutted Andersen and received a red card.

    Andersen was able to get under the skin of the Uruguayan, leading to a rise in frustrations and ultimately to Nunez's angry reaction after the pair clashed in the penalty box.

    While Liverpool were able to cancel out Wilfried Zaha's opener through Luis Diaz, the draw leaves them without a win from their opening two Premier League matches of the season and Andersen was a target for trolls on social media after the game.

    Revealing the abuse on Instagram, Andersen shared 17 images including death threats and abusive messages while urging football's governing bodies to take action.

    "Got maybe 300 to 400 of these messages last night. I understand you support a team but have some respect and stop acting tough online," he said.

    "I hope Instagram and the Premier League do something about this."

    Abuse against footballers on social media has been well documented in recent years and there have been frequent calls for more firm action to be taken.

    On Tuesday, a man was handed an eight-week suspended custodial sentence following racist abuse targeted at England footballers Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford following their missed penalties in the European Championship final against Italy last year.

    Last April, English clubs announced a boycott of social media in response to discrimination and abuse aimed at footballers, pundits and other members of the footballing community.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.