Rumour Has It: Manchester United will not stand in Ronaldo's way if he wants out

By Sports Desk February 20, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo's future with Manchester United is uncertain amid a difficult season at Old Trafford.

The 37-year-old only joined United from Juventus in August, following interest from rivals Manchester City.

But the Red Devils are well out of the title race, with Ronaldo contributing nine league goals, in a tumultuous season that has seen Ole Gunnar Solskjaer axed as manager.

TOP STORY – MAN UTD WOULD BOW TO RONALDO TRANSFER DEMANDS

Manchester United will allow five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo to depart if he demands to depart in the off-season, reports the Sunday Mirror.

The Portuguese is ready to quit the Red Devils should they miss the top four and subsequently fail to qualify for the Champions League.

The report claims that Ronaldo was expecting to transfer United into title contenders but that his presence has become a sideshow, meaning they are willing to let him go.

 

ROUND-UP

- Raphinha has caught the eye of Manchester United, Liverpool, Real Madrid and Barcelona but Leeds United plan to rebuff any offers him in the off-season according to The Mirror.

- The Mirror also reports that Arsenal are in the race for Napoli's Spanish midfielder Fabian Ruiz , joining Madrid and Barcelona.

- Liverpool target Fabio Carvalho is being pursued by Manchester United too, claims the Daily Star. The Fulham teenager came close to joining the Reds in January.

- Manchester City and Raheem Sterling are set for contract talks at the end of the season but the English leaders may sell him if he does not agree to a new deal, according to the Times.

- Fiorentina are interested in Manchester United full-back Diogo Dalot but would need to convince him to lower his wages, reports La Nazione. Dalot is in line for a new deal with United according to the Star.

- Liverpool Echo reports that Everton's Jean-Philippe Gbamin could join CSKA Moscow on loan with the Russian transfer window open until February 22.

Related items

  • Simeone not plotting Atletico Madrid exit despite Copa del Rey collapse Simeone not plotting Atletico Madrid exit despite Copa del Rey collapse

    Diego Simeone has reiterated his happiness with Atletico Madrid despite the club looking set for another season without a trophy.

    The Argentine saw his side let a one-goal lead slip in the Copa del Rey quarter-finals to rivals Real Madrid, who won 3-1 after extra-time at Santiago Bernabeu.

    Atletico's exit effectively signals the end of any silverware prospects for the season, with the club currently fourth in LaLiga, 13 points behind leaders Barcelona, and also out of Europe.

    But Simeone reaffirmed his commitment to the Rojiblancos in his post-match comments, insisting he will not walk away of his own accord yet.

    "I am enormously happy to be at Atletico," he said. "[I have been] from the day I arrived. I am going to give everything I have until I leave.

    "I will give myself a thousand per cent with this team and with the club. Now, I only have [it] in my head to work with joy and enthusiasm.

    "I have done that from the day I arrived [and I will do so] until the day [that] I have to go. That will come some day [but not now]."

    Atletico ended the match with 10 men, having seen Stefan Savic dismissed in extra-time with the score at 1-1 for back-to-back bookings.

    Frustrations from Atleti players over Dani Ceballos avoiding a second yellow for a foul earlier in the match boiled over after the final whistle.

    Goalkeeper Jan Oblak suggested that his team get unfair treatment from match officials when playing their rivals, and said they should be accustomed to such difficulties.

    "If it is a red for us, it should be a red for them too," he added. "I think they should have had their second yellow card.

    "It's been decided that way and we're used to it by now. Even so, we've fought to the end against everyone."

  • 'We don't like to suffer' – Benzema relieved for extra-time success in Copa del Rey 'We don't like to suffer' – Benzema relieved for extra-time success in Copa del Rey

    Karim Benzema suggests Real Madrid must find earlier goals in games if they do not wish to suffer after their 3-1 Copa del Rey comeback against Atletico Madrid.

    Los Blancos failed to find the net until the final quarter-hour of regular time at the Santiago Bernabeu, when Rodrygo cancelled out Alvaro Morata's opener.

    His superb solo finish forced extra-time in Thursday's quarter-final tie, with further goals for Benzema and Vinicius Junior cementing the turnaround for the hosts.

    The reigning winner of the Ballon d'Or acknowledged his side made themselves work for their spot in the last four with their performance at points, but stresses they always had the quality to respond.

    "It was a very difficult and complicated game," the France international reflected afterwards. "But with the players and talent we have, we knew we could make a comeback of it.

    "Perhaps we need to score goals sooner, because we don't like to suffer. Atletico positioned themselves well, got in behind, and that cost us. Rodrygo's response was a great goal."

    For Vinicius, his goal ensured a bright finish to a difficult day in which an effigy of the Brazilian winger was hung from a bridge near Madrid's training ground ahead of the derby.

    Coach Carlo Ancelotti praised the 22-year-old in his post-match comments, adding there was never any doubt he would miss the match despite the incident.

    "Vinicius has always wanted to play and was very focused on the game," he said. "He played a great game. What happened elsewhere today has been very regrettable."

  • Arteta inspired by Guardiola who 'changed the game' Arteta inspired by Guardiola who 'changed the game'

    Mikel Arteta has paid tribute to Pep Guardiola ahead of their FA Cup fourth round clash.

    The Arsenal manager worked under Guardiola at Manchester City before taking charge at Emirates Stadium in December 2019, and is now in the middle of a title race in the Premier League with his former mentor.

    Speaking at a press conference ahead of Friday's game between the Gunners and City and the Etihad Stadium, Arteta said he was inspired by Guardiola, and compared his impact on football to that of Johan Cruyff.

    "I feel gratitude, first of all, because he inspired me as a player, and he inspired me and gave me the opportunity as a coach," the Spaniard said. 

    "I wouldn't probably have had the career that I had as a player, the understanding of the game or the purpose that I had as a player if he hadn't been at that time at Barcelona.

    "And I wouldn't be sitting here and having that willingness and that love for coaching if we hadn't crossed in my life and he hadn't given the opportunity that he gave me. That's it."

    Arteta spent three years as a player in Barcelona's C and B teams before leaving for Rangers in 2002, while Guardiola was a part of the Blaugrana's first team at the same time.

    "I was looking at him and I just wanted to do it what he was doing," Arteta explained. "And I loved the way he played and the way he was transmitting on the pitch and his understanding what was happening on the pitch. It was an inspiration, since I was 18 years old."

    Guardiola helped turn Barca into a dominant force as a head coach, before successful spells at Bayern Munich and City, and Arteta said he has picked up a lot from working with him closely.

    "I think the influence that Pep has had on football in the past 20 years, it's just incredibly powerful," he said. "He changed the game, like Johan did in the past... we have been inspired by a lot of things that he's done. 

    "Everyone has to build his own career and his own pathway. A career is not for six months, or a year, or two years. Let's see and let everybody develop the way that they should."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.