Xavi 'really wants to go home' to Barcelona

By Sports Desk November 03, 2021

Xavi said he "really wants to go home", with Barcelona in talks with Al Sadd to make him their new head coach.

Barca's first vice-president Rafael Yuste and director of football Mateu Alemany were in attendance for Al Sadd's 3-3 draw with Al Duhail on Wednesday, a result that kept Xavi's side three points clear at the top of the Stars League. 

The former midfielder, who made 767 appearances for Barca as a player and won 25 trophies during an illustrious spell for the club, has been the frontrunner to take over following the dismissal of Ronald Koeman last week. 

Al Sadd last week insisted Xavi was solely focused on the Qatari club, with whom he has a two-year contract, but the coach confirmed an agreement on his future could be reached in a matter of hours. 

"I really want to go home. The two clubs are in talks and a resolution must be reached. I am very excited, but it's a matter of respect – I have a contract," Xavi told Mundo Deportivo. 

"It would be a return home. The two clubs have to agree. Hopefully it will be done, because I am very eager and excited. 

"I am very positive. I have been very clear about my position. I think it will be a matter of hours, maybe days. They know my stance and hopefully it can be done." 

He added to TV3: "I am a positive person and it is a matter of common sense. They have to agree. The two clubs know my position and I hope it will be sorted soon." 

After a 1-1 draw with Deportivo Alaves in their first game since Koeman's dismissal, Barca boosted their qualification hopes in the Champions League by beating Dynamo Kiev on Tuesday. 

Speaking more generally about what Koeman's successor needs to do at Camp Nou, Xavi added: "The coach who goes does not have to be a messiah. We saw a different Barca yesterday. 

"Everyone has to row in the same direction for Barca to win games. We are all very excited. We will see if it ends up being done, but it would be spectacular." 

Related items

  • 'Looks good' for Thiago and Fabinho ahead of Champions League final, Klopp confirms 'Looks good' for Thiago and Fabinho ahead of Champions League final, Klopp confirms

    Jurgen Klopp is expecting both Thiago Alcantara and Fabinho to be fit to feature for Liverpool in Saturday's Champions League final against Real Madrid.

    The two key midfielders were doubts for the Reds heading to Paris this week.

    Thiago hobbled out of the final match of the Premier League season against Wolves with a calf injury, while a hamstring complaint means Fabinho has not played since the win at Aston Villa on May 10.

    However, Klopp offered a positive update in his pre-match news conference on Friday.

    "The mood is good, very good," the Liverpool manager said. "We're really excited about being here now, getting a feeling of the stadium, the location. That's all good.

    "It looks good for both Thiago and Fabinho. Fabinho trained completely normal; Thiago trained yesterday with the team, will train today, and then we will go from there."

    Liverpool are unbeaten in the nine games they have played this season without either Thiago or Fabinho in the starting XI, although they have drawn three of those matches.

    The pair have appeared together in the line-up 20 times in 2021-22, contributing to an outstanding 17 wins.

  • Cavani: Poor final season in front of Man Utd fans leaves a 'bitter taste' Cavani: Poor final season in front of Man Utd fans leaves a 'bitter taste'

    Edinson Cavani admits enduring a poor final season with Manchester United after fans returned to Old Trafford left him with a "bitter taste", as he prepares to leave after two years at the club.

    Cavani is moving on from United as a free agent at the end of his contract, having scored 12 goals in 41 Premier League appearances since joining in October 2020 from Paris Saint-Germain.

    The Uruguay international initially impressed for United, scoring 10 goals in his first Premier League campaign as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Red Devils finished as runners-up in a 2020-21 season played almost entirely behind closed doors due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

    However, the 35-year-old then struggled for game-time under both Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick during his final campaign with the Red Devils, making just seven Premier League starts and scoring two goals in the competition.

    Cavani, who suffered a number of frustrating injuries and was used largely as a back-up to Cristiano Ronaldo this term, told the club's official website he regrets not contributing more in his final season with the club, the first full campaign in front of supporters since the beginning of the pandemic.

    "I wanted to contribute more this season," he said.

    "One of the things that has left me with a slightly bitter taste is that when we had a highly enjoyable and pretty decent season [in 2020-21], we weren't able to have the supporters along with us.

    "And now, this season, with the fans coming back into the grounds and stadiums, I haven't really been able to have the kind of campaign, if I'm being honest, on a personal front, that I would really have liked.

    "I would have been able to score the kind of goals I did last season, and then be celebrating them a bit more with the fans – the kind of stuff that is great for a forward or a striker to be doing.

    "But I want to sincerely thank the fans from the bottom of my heart, because they have always shown me a lot of affection, and that is very important for a footballer."

  • Teams from Belarus and Ukraine no longer to be drawn together following Russian invasion Teams from Belarus and Ukraine no longer to be drawn together following Russian invasion

    Teams from Belarus and Ukraine will not be drawn together in future, UEFA has announced.

    European football's governing body has already banned Russian sides from appearing in its competitions following the country's invasion of Ukraine.

    The role of Belarus in facilitating this invasion also prompted sanctions for Belarusian teams.

    UEFA had already decided no matches would be played in Belarus and supporters of Belarusian teams would be banned from attending nominal home games.

    And in a further move announced on Friday, UEFA said it would prevent sides from Belarus and Ukraine from meeting in future competitions.

    "The UEFA Executive Committee will remain on standby to convene further meetings to reassess the legal and factual situation as it evolves and adopt further decisions as necessary," a statement read.

    Meanwhile, UEFA's rules relating to coronavirus for the upcoming Women's Euro 2022 were approved.

    Any players who contract COVID-19 or "who have been anyway put in isolation" will be classed as "cases of serious illness", meaning they can be replaced in their nation's squad ahead of the first match of the tournament.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.