Batshuayi joins Besiktas on loan after signing Chelsea extension

By Sports Desk August 18, 2021

Michy Batshuayi has extended his Chelsea contract until 2023 and joined Besiktas on loan for the 2021-22 campaign.

Batshuayi, who joined the Blues in 2016, has spent much of his time at Chelsea out on loan.

He thrived with Borussia Dortmund in 2018, though struggled at Valencia the following season, switching to Crystal Palace on a temporary basis for the back half of 2018-19.

The Belgium forward was a target for Palace in the following transfer window, but remained at Chelsea. He made 24 appearances, though few of them were starts, scoring seven goals.

Batshuayi did return to Selhurst Park last season, though scored just two goals from 18 Premier League appearances for the Eagles.

The 27-year-old had entered the final year of his Chelsea deal, but that has now been renewed, with an immediate season-long loan to Turkish champions Besiktas confirmed on Wednesday.

"Very very happy to join Besiktas," Batshuayi, who received a huge welcome when he landed in Istanbul, tweeted.

"An incredible opportunity for me and I'm already looking to play. Thank you to all the fans for the crazy welcome at Istanbul. See you at the stadium very soon."

Batshuayi slipped further down the pecking order at Chelsea upon the arrival of his compatriot Romelu Lukaku, who re-joined the European Champions in a reported £97.5million (€115m) deal from Serie A champions Inter last week.

He is the third centre-forward to leave the club this transfer window, with Chelsea having sold Olivier Giroud to Milan, while Tammy Abraham was unveiled as a Roma player on Tuesday.

Thomas Tuchel still has plenty of high-quality attacking options at his disposal, with Lukaku spearheading a forward line that also includes Timo Werner, Kai Havertz and Christian Pulisic, with support provided from midfielders Mason Mount, Hakim Ziyech and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Related items

  • Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino Hazard 'bit sad' with Chelsea decision to sack Pochettino

    Eden Hazard "was a bit sad" to see Chelsea part company with head coach Mauricio Pochettino after just one season in charge.

    Pochettino left Chelsea by mutual consent last week after a trophyless campaign and a sixth-place finish in the Premier League.

    Chelsea great Hazard, who spent seven years at Stamford Bridge, believes the former Tottenham boss deserved more time.

    "I was a bit sad," he told talkSPORT. "I think he did a great job. I know people want Chelsea to be in the top four but it’s a season of transition. 

    "He's a great manager. I wish him good luck and let's see who is going to be there in the future."

    Chelsea are reported to have whittled their shortlist to four names - Thomas Frank, Kieran McKenna, Roberto De Zerbi and Enzo Maresca

    However, Hazard cheekily suggested that former Chelsea team-mate Cesc Fabregas could be an option for the Blues.

    Fabregas is working as an assistant manager with Italian side Como and helped guide them to Serie A promotion this season.

    Asked about possible contenders for the job, Hazard said: "I have my friend in Como. He can be the first manager."

  • Alex Sandro leaves Juventus cherishing Bianconeri connection after Monza win Alex Sandro leaves Juventus cherishing Bianconeri connection after Monza win

    Alex Sandro celebrated trophies and finals with Juventus but says he will cherish his bond with the Bianconeri supporters the most after an emotional farewell on Saturday.

    The Brazil international waved goodbye in Turin for one final time against Monza, signing off with a goal in a 2-0 victory at Allianz Stadium.

    Alex Sandro made a record-equalling 327 appearances for Juve, matching Pavel Nedved's record for the most by a foreign player in the club's history.

    Yet the versatile defender will be moving onto new beginnings after Juve ended the season third in Serie A.

    "It was emotional for me, I have never cried so much in my life," he told DAZN, having joined the club in 2015.

    "I am proud of myself and what I achieved. Over the last few days, I told everyone that the trophies and finals were lovely, but what I take away is the bond with the people."

    Paolo Montero was in interim charge once more for the clash with Monza, in which Federico Chiesa was also on target.

    The Juventus caretaker also oversaw a 3-3 draw with Bologna after Massimiliano Allegri was dismissed, and Montero acknowledged he has not changed much in terms of tactics.

    "I honestly did not come here to transform anything, but to collaborate and I am proud to be with these players," Montero told DAZN.

    "Every time they play, I sit in the stands to watch them, so it was an honour to be here with them."

    Montero referenced Chiesa as one of Juve's key players going forward.

    "We evaluated the players in the best shape," Montero added. "Chiesa has the quality to play on the right like at Fiorentina or the left like for Italy.

    "He is a champion with a very positive mentality and is prepared for the Euros this summer.

    "Chiesa makes the difference, I saw that at the stadium. If he continues to play at this tempo, he creates spaces and becomes deadly in one-on-one situations.

    "These players can play wide, central, left or right, the important thing is that they have space to take men on."

  • 'We cannot replace him' – Mbappe departs PSG 'filled with joy' 'We cannot replace him' – Mbappe departs PSG 'filled with joy'

    Kylian Mbappe says he is leaving Paris Saint-Germain with his head held high but Luis Enrique does not expect to replace his star forward.

    Mbappe announced this month he would leave the French capital at the end of the season after a seven-year stay during which he became their all-time top scorer, with 256 goals.

    His last game for Luis Enrique's side came in Saturday's Coupe de France final at Lille's Stade Pierre-Mauroy, with first-half strikes from Ousmane Dembele and Fabian Ruiz securing a 2-1 win against Lyon.

    "It was both difficult and enjoyable because it's a final, and in the end, we won. It's filled with joy," Mbappe told reporters.

    "It's all good memories, many years, both at PSG and of course in this league. We leave with our heads held high, especially with a trophy, and we only keep the positives."

    Mbappe has been heavily linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.

    Asked why he had not announced his next club yet, the 25-year-old said: "Because I think that the best thing to do is to finish these goodbyes.

    "I think all I wanted was to finish well with my club. There's a trophy. I think there's a time for everything.

    "I'll announce my new club in due course. I think we're just a few days away, so there's no problem."

    PSG head coach Luis Enrique says there will be no single replacement for Mbappe, placing the focus on the entire team.

    "I have had the good fortune to coach Kylian this season, it has been a difficult one for him after seven years at his club and all that he has achieved, it is difficult to say goodbye," Enrique told a news conference.

    "There is no substitute for Mbappe, we cannot replace him, we will do it through the team and four, five or six signings we can make.

    "Kylian's replacement will be the team that, along with the fans and our ambition, will try to win everything in the following seasons."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.