Ancelotti insists Odegaard could still have Real Madrid future amid renewed Arsenal interest

By Sports Desk August 13, 2021

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti insists Martin Odegaard could still have a future at the club amid reported renewed interest from Arsenal.

The Norway international is expected to be left out of Madrid's matchday squad for their LaLiga opener against Deportivo Alaves on Saturday.

After the news emerged in Spain, reports surfaced in England that Arsenal had opened talks with Los Blancos over the prospect of signing Odegaard before the transfer window closes.

The 22-year-old, said to be valued in the region of €40million, made 14 Premier League appearances during a loan spell with the Gunners last season.

However, Ancelotti does not appear to have made a decision on Odegaard's future, or that of fellow fringe players Jesus Vallejo and Dani Ceballos.

"The fact they've not been named in the squad is down just to technical issues," he said on Friday. "The final list [for the 2021-22 season] doesn't have to be confirmed until September 2.

"Odegaard has done well. We had a chat and of course, there is a lot of competition in midfield. We have eight very good midfielders.

"He hasn't been dropped, nor has Ceballos, nor Vallejo."

 

Madrid kick-start their campaign in what will be Ancelotti's first competitive match in charge since he returned to the club from Everton.

Gareth Bale is expected to be involved, having also gone back to the Santiago Bernabeu after spending last season on loan with Tottenham, with previous Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane deeming him surplus to requirements.

Ancelotti now wants to see Bale prove his worth to the club on the pitch.

"He's a great player, perhaps he quite hasn't lived up to expectations in recent times but I've seen him train every day with great enthusiasm and we have to see how he plays. The talking has to be done on the pitch," Ancelotti added.

"There's competition for places – if players don't play well, there are other players. This is good, it's extra motivation. But he's been very good during this first month back, but we'll see how he performs out on the pitch."

Ancelotti is also hoping for a strong start to the season from Eden Hazard, whose career in LaLiga has been blighted by injuries.

The Belgium star has scored just four goals in 21 league starts since his reported €100m transfer from Chelsea in 2019 and did not once complete a full match in the top flight in 2020-21.

"He's been training with the team for about 10 days, he's fit and ready to play," Ancelotti said. "He's a key player in this team and I'm confident we'll see the best Eden Hazard this season. "

Related items

  • Reggae Boy defender Mariappa seals move to Australia A-League club Macarthur FC Reggae Boy defender Mariappa seals move to Australia A-League club Macarthur FC

    Jamaica international Adrian Mariappa has secured a surprise move to Australia Super League club Macarthur FC.

    The 35-year-old defender had been without a club since May of this year, after being released by English Championship club Bristol City.  The player had, however, continued to show strong form with his country’s national team, playing in 6 games.

    Mariappa was linked with a move back to England with Sheffield Wednesday, who are coached by another former Jamaica international Darren Moore.  The club reportedly offered the out-of-contract player a deal, but he opted for the Super League move instead.

    For his part, Mariappa insists he is excited and looking forward to the new challenge.

    “I want to thank the owners and the football staff for having faith in me and making this happen,” Mariappa said.

    “When the opportunity to join the Bulls arrived, it was one I couldn’t turn down. It’s an exciting new challenge for me in my career and that for me is what I thrive off,” he added.

    “I’m hungry to achieve great things with the club and create new memories with the team and the fans.”

    Macarthur have won one and drawn one of their two games so far in the 2021/22 season.

  • Barcelona stalwart Pique: I don't want to let Xavi down Barcelona stalwart Pique: I don't want to let Xavi down

    Gerard Pique revealed he feels "added pressure" as he does not want to let former team-mate and new Barcelona head coach Xavi down.

    The centre-back has started all three games of the new era under Xavi, who was appointed in the wake of Ronald Koeman's dismissal at the end of October.

    Barca have won twice while drawing the other of Xavi's first three games and currently sit in 10th in LaLiga, 10 points behind leaders Real Madrid.

    Pique now feels an added incentive and pressure to perform for the former Blaugrana midfielder, who he played with 261 times during the Catalan club's halcyon days.

    "Xavi has arrived and has set standards like many coaches," Pique told Spanish television show El Hormiguero on Tuesday. 

    "They are necessary to demand orders and we are going to fulfil them all as it has always been in the past.

    "It puts added pressure on me to have Xavi as a coach, you don't want to let him down.

    "Morally I have to give him my best and if my performance is not the best I feel like I'm failing him."

    Barca's challenge has mounted this term following the departure of Lionel Messi, who ended a 21-year association with the Spanish giants as he joined Paris Saint-Germain on a free transfer.

    Pique explained the difficulties of seeing Messi leave as he reminisced on a glory period with the Argentine superstar, who collected a record-extending seventh Ballon d'Or on Monday.

    "It was very hard, we played together since we were 14 years old," he added. "It was very hard from a sporting and personal point of view. Things haven't gone well for us at the start of the season.

    "I am happy for him and his seventh Ballon d'Or proves that he is the best of all time.

    "He has gone to a new country and a new culture. It's difficult, it happened to me when I was 17 when I went to Manchester [United]. Leo has gone with his family and I went on my own, but it's hard."

    Pique has no ambitions to leave Barca, though he has been gradually preparing himself for a potential retirement.

    "Many team-mates say that when you retire it's hard. You have had this routine since you were little," the 34-year-old continued.

    "It takes you a long time to adapt to the new life. People can take a year or more. And people recognise you less and less in the street and generations go by. It's hard.

    "I have been preparing myself for this life for a long time. Investing in business, projects, [and so on] to have something to do after I retire.

    "The key is to have something to do after leaving football. But clearly, I'm going to miss football."

  • Lukaku will have a huge impact, but we will be patient – Tuchel Lukaku will have a huge impact, but we will be patient – Tuchel

    Thomas Tuchel is adamant Romelu Lukaku will make a significant impact for Chelsea upon his return from injury, but insists the Blues must be patient with the striker.

    Club-record signing Lukaku has netted four goals in 12 appearances since returning from Inter for a second spell at Stamford Bridge.

    But, the Belgium international has missed the past month with an ankle injury.

    He returned as a late substitute in the weekend draw with former club Manchester United, and could start against Watford on Wednesday.

    Tuchel has no doubt of the quality that Lukaku will contribute to the Blues' cause when fully back up to speed.

    But the head coach insists that for now, patience with the 28-year-old is a virtue.

    "We showed with him and we showed without him that we're capable of scoring and capable of winning," Tuchel said.

    "I think it's a process of adapting in both ways; the team will adapt to him and he will adapt to the team.

    "The most important thing is that he becomes fit and gains fitness and a physical level that he can start for us. The rest, I'm pretty sure will take care of itself.

    "I'm absolutely convinced and have zero doubts that he will have a huge impact on our team once he's back.

    "He's pushing every single day and pushing everybody to try to be out on the pitch again. He tries to convince us that he's ready to start. 

    "We gave him some minutes [against Man United], which helps him psychologically and this is very important, but he is determined and trains on a very high level. 

    "Once we have the opinion that he's fully fit, I think he's ready to go and contribute what he can, which is a lot.

    "We still believe that he can make the difference for us but at the same time, we will be patient."

    Tuchel is also hopeful it is only a matter of time before Andreas Christensen signs a new deal with the club.

    The defender, whose contract is set to expire at the end of the season, has made 13 appearances for the Blues in all competitions this term.

    "We think we can have good news about Andreas," Tuchel added. 

    "I understood the club wants the same, the player wants the same, the coach wants the same – to stay – and that’s why we need the commitment and can continue.

    "We've been waiting a long time now for confirmation. 

    "He tells us that he loves Chelsea, that he wants to stay and play a big part. He is a big part of a big club. I think he's a perfect fit and I hope that he's not done yet here. 

    "He can still develop and be a big, big player. We want the commitment and hopefully, we get it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.