Atletico Madrid defender Savic signs new deal with LaLiga champions

By Sports Desk August 11, 2021

Atletico Madrid centre-back Stefan Savic has signed a new deal with the Spanish champions, agreeing to extend his stay with the club until June 2024.

Montenegro international Savic has spent the past six seasons with Atletico and played a big part in last term's LaLiga title triumph.

The defender featured 42 times in all competitions in 2020-21 and started 33 of Atleti's 38 league games as Diego Simeone's squad won the title for the second time in seven years.

Atletico kept a clean sheet in 16 of those matches and won 24 of them for a win rate of 72.7 per cent, compared to 40 per cent in the five games Savic did not play a part in.

 

Since making his LaLiga debut in August 2015, no defender has helped their side to more clean sheets in the division than the 30-year-old (72), with Barcelona's Jordi Alba (68) next on the list.

Los Colchoneros confirmed news of Savic's new deal on their official website on Wednesday, four days before they begin their title defence away at Celta Vigo.

Savic, who has also won the Europa League and the Super Cup with Atleti, was previously under contract until 2023.

Related items

  • Forest add Freuler from Atalanta in latest transfer Forest add Freuler from Atalanta in latest transfer

    Nottingham Forest have continued their busy transfer window by bolstering their midfield with the capture of Remo Freuler from Atalanta.

    The Switzerland international arguably represents one of the biggest coups managed by Steve Cooper's side to date, making his switch to the Premier League from a regular contender for Champions League qualification.

    Freuler follows hot on the heels of Emmanuel Dennis and Cheikhou Kouyate, both of whom were confirmed as Forest players ahead of their first home game back in the top flight against West Ham on Sunday.

    A Taiwo Awoniyi goal was enough to hand the hosts a 1-0 win at the City Ground in that match, downing David Moyes' Hammers and getting Cooper's men off the mark for the season.

    Freuler, a member of his nation's squads for both the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2020, netted when Switzerland beat Bulgaria last November to beat Italy to a place at this year's tournament in Qatar.

    He leaves Atalanta having made over 250 appearances for the club across all competitions, including featuring regularly in three successive Champions League campaigns between 2019-20 and last term.

    Reports have suggested Forest have agreed part with a fee of around £7.5million (€8.9m) for the 30-year-old.

  • Tottenham midfielder Lo Celso joins Villarreal on loan for a second time Tottenham midfielder Lo Celso joins Villarreal on loan for a second time

    Argentina midfielder Giovani Lo Celso has returned to Villarreal on loan for the 2022-23 season from Tottenham.

    The 26-year-old joined the LaLiga side in January after making just nine Premier League appearances for Spurs in the first half of the 2021-22 campaign.  

    He scored one goal across 22 appearances in all competitions as Unai Emery's side reached the semi-finals of the Champions League.

    Villarreal started their LaLiga season with a resounding 3-0 win at Real Valladolid on Saturday. They are next in action on Thursday when they host Hajduk Split in the first leg of their Europa Conference League play-off.

     

  • Tottenham must improve to catch Chelsea, says Conte after ill-tempered London derby Tottenham must improve to catch Chelsea, says Conte after ill-tempered London derby

    Antonio Conte says Tottenham need to improve further if they are to reach Chelsea's level after a fiery 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

    Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg cancelled out Kalidou Koulibaly's superb opener for the Blues, but Thomas Tuchel's men restored their lead when Reece James burst through to score.

    A dramatic conclusion followed though, as Harry Kane was on hand to head home in the 96th minute and spark wild celebrations from Conte, before both he and Tuchel were promptly sent off amid a touchline clash.

    That followed an earlier argument between the pair after Hojbjerg's strike, with Tuchel furious the goal had not been ruled out for offside against Richarlison.

    The result meant Tottenham have won just one of their last 38 away matches against Chelsea in all competitions (D13 L24), a 3-1 win in April 2018 in the Premier League.

    Conte did not want to discuss the specifics of his clash with Tuchel, instead choosing to highlight that his side needs to improve if they are to enjoy the kind of success Chelsea have in recent seasons.

    "It's not so important [the clash with Tuchel]," he said in a press conference.

    "The most important thing is football and to speak about football. It was an intensive game. This game was really tough for us. You know that they are a really good team here.

    "I have to be honest, today Chelsea were better than us. Compared to last season we did better, but if we want to create problems for Chelsea [in the table] we have to be better.

    "We can do better, but at the same time we scored twice. In the last three games [against Chelsea] we didn't score.

    "We got a point and we showed, in my opinion, character and personality and my players wanted to stay in the game. We can do better."

    Tuchel and Conte have both received a card in three different Premier League games since the start of last season, the most of any two managers in the competition.

    The Italian, however, rejected suggestions that he can go overboard on the touchline, and believes Spurs fans want to see that he cares.

    "You have to show passion every time because the result can be positive or negative but you have to love your job and your work and show your passion," he added.

    "If the fans see this, it's good. You can take big achievements if you have a big passion in your job.

    "You can understand the situation. I think this game is an important game for both clubs."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.