Sancho details emerge as Dortmund reveal England star asked for Man Utd move

By Sports Desk July 01, 2021

Jadon Sancho will join Manchester United in an €85million (£72.9million) deal after asking for a move to Old Trafford, Borussia Dortmund have confirmed.

The England winger has been a long-time target of the Premier League giants, who negotiated a deal during recent weeks and have now reached agreement with Dortmund.

The 21-year-old Sancho will become the fourth most expensive signing in United's history, behind Paul Pogba, Harry Maguire and Romelu Lukaku.

United were keen on Sancho last year but could not drive through a deal at the time, with Dortmund reluctant to sell one of their chief assets.

Now, though, they have been persuaded to part company with a player who scored twice in their DFB-Pokal final win over RB Leipzig seven weeks ago.

Since joining Dortmund in 2017, Sancho scored 50 goals and provided 57 assists in 137 appearances across all competitions. He is currently on duty with England at Euro 2020.

Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said in a news conference: "This is done explicitly at Jadon's request. We would have liked to keep him. But he has behaved fantastically. We are sad that he is leaving, but we will surely find a solution."

 

Dortmund said in a statement to the Frankfurt stock exchange: "The player Jadon Sancho is about to change from Borussia Dortmund to Manchester United.

"Both clubs and the player reached agreement in principle today."

Dortmund also confirmed the fee, adding: "The formal processing of the transfer is also subject to a successful completion of all required medical tests and examinations, a coordination procedure with the player's former club as well as the orderly and timely processing in accordance with the provisions of the FIFA Transfer Matching System (FIFA TMS)."

Manchester City, from whom Dortmund acquired Sancho in 2017, will receive a cut of the transfer fee.

Sancho is the only player from Europe's top five leagues to have scored 10 goals or more and had at least 15 assists across all competitions in each of the last three seasons, while playing at that high level.

Related items

  • Important Bergwijn happy to stay at Tottenham - Conte Important Bergwijn happy to stay at Tottenham - Conte

    Steven Bergwijn inspired Tottenham to a stunning late 3-2 win over Leicester City on Wednesday and Antonio Conte appears to have no intention of allowing him to leave.

    Bergwijn has been consistently linked with a move away from Spurs, with Ajax and Sevilla said to be among those interested in the forward.

    However, he rescued Spurs from their first Premier League defeat under Conte in remarkable circumstances at the King Power Stadium.

    Patson Daka put the Foxes in front against the run of play, but Harry Kane's 250th club goal of his career brought Spurs level in a pulsating first half.

    James Maddison looked to have consigned Tottenham to defeat as Spurs boss when he restored Leicester's lead 14 minutes from time.

    But Bergwijn provided an incredible twist in the tale, coming off the bench to strike in the 95th minute and again in the seventh minute of stoppage time to move Spurs above fierce rivals Arsenal into fifth place.

    Asked about the Netherlands international, Conte said: "In the past when someone asks me about Steven Bergwijn, I was very clear.

    "I said that for me he is an important player because he has characteristics that in our squad we don't have many creative players.

    "He is very good in one vs one, good to beat the man. He can play striker, he can play number 10 and for us, for me, he is an important player and we have to try to improve, to become stronger, not to lose a player and become less strong.

    "Steven is a player that if he's in good physical condition and he has good fitness, he can start the games or he can come in and change the game.

    "For me, I think he's an important player and you know very well the player has to be happy and I think the player is happy to stay with us and play for Tottenham."

  • Man Utd 'destroyed' by Brentford in first half and only deserved a draw - Frank Man Utd 'destroyed' by Brentford in first half and only deserved a draw - Frank

    Manchester United were "destroyed" in the first half of their 3-1 win over Brentford, with Thomas Frank claiming they only deserved a draw at most. 

    United failed to register a single shot on target in the opening period in west London on Wednesday, while David de Gea was forced into three saves from Mathias Jensen and Ethan Pinnock. 

    After Cristiano Ronaldo sent a header against the crossbar at the start of the second half, Anthony Elanga put the Red Devils ahead with their first shot on target. 

    Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford put United out of sight and secured a 300th Premier League away victory for the club, with Ivan Toney netting a late consolation for Brentford. 

    "Unbelievably proud of my team. I think we are the smallest club in the Premier League, Manchester United are probably the biggest. The way we played in the first half, I think we destroyed them," Frank told BT Sport. 

    "We should have been up at least 2-0, they didn't have a sniff, nothing. We created five, six chances and three huge chances. Man United deserved a maximum of a draw. I think they are unbelievably lucky. 

    "Of course you need to take your chances, I know all that c**p. But the performance, I'm proud of that. They changed the system against little Brentford. I'm so, so proud of my team. 

    "[It was] one of those nights, it's football. Fair play to De Gea, a very good performance. If we get those chances again one will go in the back of the net. 

    "Our intensity killed them, we showed that in the first half. We pressed them, when we had to we defended low, we won the second balls, we played behind and ran behind them. We played the Brentford way in the first half. 

    "The game opened up. They hadn't had a chance before their goal. Of course, I know that's why they pay 72 million [pounds] for [Jadon] Sancho, who's not even included in the team. That's why, that little bit of brilliance created the first goal. 

    "Of the three goals, the second is most disappointing and difficult to come back from. There were huge positives. I think the way we smashed them in the first half was fantastic, so proud of my team." 

  • Rangnick not concerned about Ronaldo tantrum Rangnick not concerned about Ronaldo tantrum

    Ralf Rangnick was not overly concerned about Cristiano Ronaldo's reaction to being substituted in Manchester United's 3-1 win at Brentford.

    United claimed their first Premier League victory of 2022 on Wednesday, with Anthony Elanga, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford getting the goals before a late Ivan Toney consolation.

    The visitors were fortunate to not trail at the break but produced a hugely improved display in the second half, with Ronaldo playing a part in Greenwood's goal as he chested the ball into Bruno Fernandes' path before he squared to the 20-year-old.

    Greenwood and Ronaldo were withdrawn nine minutes later, with Rashford and Harry Maguire entering the pitch as Rangnick changed to a back five.

    Ronaldo appeared annoyed as he headed off and that displeasure continued to emanate after sitting in the dugout, the striker seen seemingly asking Darren Fletcher why they had chosen to withdraw him.

    In the aftermath of Rashford's goal, Rangnick could be seen having a word in Ronaldo's ear, the situation appearing to be defused.

    "It's normal, as a striker he wants to score goals," Rangnick told BT Sport before going on to explain his decision.

    "He came back from a little injury, so for me, it was also important to bear in mind we also have another game in three days' time.

    "On the other hand, we were 2-0 up, the same score as at Villa Park, and I decided to make sure we defended that lead this time and I think it was the right decision to switch to a back five.

    "We scored the third goal, we would have wanted to keep the clean sheet but unfortunately we didn't manage that, but at least we made sure nothing more happened."

    United were indebted to David de Gea's performance as he made seven saves over the course of the match, increasing his season total to 81 – 11 more than any other Premier League goalkeeper.

    The Spaniard's form has been exceptional this season, with his 6.2 'goals prevented' being the best figure among keepers in the top flight.

    Rangnick acknowledged United fell well short of expectations in the first half, before paying tribute to De Gea's brilliant form.

    Asked if he had to get tough at half-time, Rangnick said: "I wouldn't say a strong conversation [was had] but obviously we had to change a few things.

    "In the first half we were not good in almost all aspects of the game: sloppy passing, not strong enough in the 50:50 situations, we gave away almost every second ball.

    "Then in the second half we were more urgent, attacking them higher up the pitch and making the right decisions when on the counter, and we scored – this was the big difference."

    On De Gea's display, he added: "He's been doing that for the last couple of weeks. Brilliant saves in the first half, [he's] one of the best goalkeepers in the world right now I'd say."

    Victory for United moved them on to 35 points, level with Arsenal in sixth, though the Gunners have played one match less.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.