Militao laments Ramos' Real Madrid departure

By Sports Desk June 22, 2021

Sergio Ramos' departure will be a huge loss to Real Madrid, according to Eder Militao.

The long-serving defender delivered an emotional farewell speech last week as he nears the end of a contract that will not be renewed.

Ramos' deal expires at the end of the month and the 35-year-old will seek a fresh challenge after no new terms were agreed upon.

He will leave having enjoyed a remarkable 16-year spell at the Santiago Bernabeu, where the Spaniard's many successes included four Champions League titles.

Team-mate Militao is just one man who is sad to see the Madrid legend depart.

"We know about the history of Sergio and what it is for the history of Real Madrid," said the Brazil international. "I have no words to describe all that he means.

"I learned a lot from him during these two years, he is an excellent person, he always has a winning spirit and without any doubt he will be a loss for Real Madrid.

"It's a shame Sergio has left, because he was very important to the group.

"Now I wish him a lot of happiness and that he triumphs wherever he goes."

Related items

  • Harry Kane savours Champions League ‘war’ with England team-mate Jude Bellingham Harry Kane savours Champions League ‘war’ with England team-mate Jude Bellingham

    Harry Kane is ready to go into battle against Jude Bellingham for a spot in the Champions League final before the pair aim to lead England to Euro 2024 glory.

    England captain Kane moved to Bayern Munich from Tottenham last year while Bellingham left Borussia Dortmund to join Real Madrid.

    Both helped their respective clubs to Champions League quarter-final wins over Premier League sides on Wednesday night as Bayern beat Arsenal and Real saw off Manchester City on penalties. Bellingham scored in that shoot-out while Kane netted a first-leg spot-kick at the Emirates Stadium.

    Those wins tee up a mouth-watering semi-final clash between two clubs who have won 20 European Cups between them.

    Despite Arsenal and City being eliminated, meaning the first semi-final line-up since 2020 with no Premier League clubs, Kane believes there will still be plenty of English interest in how he and Bellingham fare.

    “Jude has had a fantastic season, he’s a top player,” he said.

    “I’m really happy for him but it will be another war against his team – but that’s the experiences that we both went abroad to try to achieve, to play in these big nights in the Champions League, to play in these big semi-finals.

    “It will be one to enjoy and I’m sure there will be a lot of English fans watching both of us. We have to focus on ourselves. Of course, I’ll say hello but once we’re on the pitch, it’s business.”

    Kane is still yet to win a major trophy in his career and also has the added incentive of the Champions League final taking place at Wembley on June 1, with either Dortmund or Paris St Germain awaiting the winner of Real and Bayern.

    “For both of us, for sure,” Kane replied when asked if Wembley is the dream for him and Bellingham.

    “With Wembley being our national stadium, it’s extra motivation there for us but there are two games ahead of us before that, which are going to be really tough so we have to focus on that.

    “Real Madrid are a big club with amazing history in the Champions League so it’s going to be a really difficult game for us.

    “But that’s what the semi-finals of the Champions League are all about, the biggest teams, so we enjoy this tonight and then prepare for that game in a couple of weeks.”

  • I saw only one team – Rodri bemoans Real Madrid’s tactics after City’s Euro exit I saw only one team – Rodri bemoans Real Madrid’s tactics after City’s Euro exit

    Rodri claims he “saw only one team” trying to win as he bemoaned Real Madrid’s tactics following Manchester City’s heartbreaking Champions League quarter-final loss.

    City’s European title defence ended in agonising fashion at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday as the Spanish giants prevailed 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw on the night meant the tie ended 4-4 on aggregate.

    It was a clash the holders completely dominated, racking up 33 attempts on goal to the visitors’ eight, but Real defended deep to frustrate them and ultimately ended their hopes of a second successive treble.

    City midfielder Rodri said: “To be honest, I saw only one team. In terms of defending, they defended (well). They knew how to suffer and we know how tough Real Madrid are.

    “But in my opinion we should go through with that amount of chances but this is the trick of this competition. They know how to play it. We congratulate them.

    “We gave everything, there is nothing to regret. This is football sometimes. This shows how difficult it is to win it, as we did last season. It was very frustrating and sometimes it is difficult to explain.”

    City’s exit from the competition they won with a Rodri goal in Istanbul last year, coupled with Arsenal’s loss to Bayern Munich, means there are no English semi-finalists for the first time since 2020.

    City had to chase the tie after Rodrgyo pounced to put Real ahead after 12 minutes.

    They created a plethora of chances in a storming response, with Erling Haaland going the closest in the first half when he headed against the bar.

    Further opportunities came and went after the break and it was not until the 76th minute that Kevin De Bruyne finally broke through to net a deserved equaliser.

    But De Bruyne spurned a good chance to win it when he fired over soon after and, with extra-time failing to separate the sides, it came down to spot-kicks.

    Ederson saved from Luka Modric but Bernardo Silva’s attempted Panenka was too easy for Andriy Lunin, who also denied Mateo Kovavic as Real went through.

    The Premier League leaders now have little time to pick themselves up before heading to Wembley for an FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea on Saturday.

    Rodri said: “We will have to digest the loss but we will have to wake up, stand up. We still have two more competitions to play for.

    “We need the mentality (to be) positive, to find any ambition that right now is difficult to find. Tomorrow we will find it and go against Chelsea, try to be in another final and fight for the Premier League.”

    City will need to assess key pair Haaland and De Bruyne who, along with Manuel Akanji, were substituted before the penalty shoot-out.

    Haaland was removed at the end of the regulation 90 minutes with the influential De Bruyne leaving the action in the second period of extra-time.

    Manager Pep Guardiola said: “Erling and Kevin asked me to go out – they could not continue, like Manu. The game we were playing, they were amazing, but they could not continue.”

  • ‘No regrets’ says Pep Guardiola after Manchester City loss in Champions League ‘No regrets’ says Pep Guardiola after Manchester City loss in Champions League

    Pep Guardiola insisted there were no regrets after Manchester City’s bid to retain their Champions League crown ended in a heartbreaking penalty shoot-out loss to Real Madrid.

    The holders were beaten 4-3 on spot-kicks by the Spanish giants after their quarter-final tie ended 4-4 on aggregate – 1-1 on the night – despite a dominant display from Guardiola’s side in the second leg at the Etihad Stadium.

    City fell behind early to a Rodrygo goal but created a host of chances as they sought to regain control of the tie but Kevin De Bruyne’s 76th-minute equaliser was their only reward.

    City manager Guardiola said: “I would have preferred to win but congratulations to Real Madrid, they defended so deep with incredible solidarity and we did everything.

    “I don’t have any regrets about what we have done. Always we try to create more chances and concede less, because we believe that helps you to win and we did everything.

    “We played exceptionally in all departments and unfortunately we could not win.”

    Bernardo Silva and Mateo Kovacic both missed in the shoot-out, with the former’s effort proving a particularly comfortable save for Andriy Lunin.

    Guardiola refused to blame the Portuguese for his failure to register.

    He said: “Bernardo asked to take it, he’s a reliable player and decided to shoot in that way. What a game he had played. It happens.”

    Guardiola also had no complaints about Real’s tactics, with the Spanish side forced to sit back and defend deep for much of the game.

    “I don’t judge,” he said. “I’m not here to do this. It’s football. In this competition, that’s the way football happens.”

    City’s loss also ended their hopes of winning a second successive treble and they must now pick themselves up for Saturday’s FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea at Wembley.

    Guardiola said: “Now we will rest and on Friday we travel to London to play the game.

    “We will see how people will react. Of course the recovery is easier when winning, rather than losing, but it is the semi-final of the FA Cup and we will try to compete as much as possible.”

    Real manager Carlo Ancelotti admitted the strength of City had forced them to soak up pressure and look to take the tie on penalties.

    The veteran Italian said: “We defended really, really well. This was about survival. Madrid is a club based on always fighting to stay in situations where there seems to be no way out – but we always find a way.

    “By the time the penalty shoot-out came, we were totally convinced we’d go through.

    “This is about the only way you can come to City and win. You work, sacrifice and win however you can.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.