UEFA launches disciplinary action against Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus

By Sports Desk May 25, 2021

UEFA has begun disciplinary proceedings against European giants Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus over their role in the collapsed Super League.

The announcement from European football's governing body could result in heavy punishments for Spanish titans Barca and Madrid and Italian heavyweights Juventus.

UEFA said in a statement: "Following an investigation conducted by UEFA ethics and disciplinary inspectors in connection with the so-called 'Super League' project, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Real Madrid CF, FC Barcelona and Juventus FC for a potential violation of UEFA's legal framework.

"Further information will be made available in due course."

Juve chairman Andrea Agnelli has been seen as a driving force behind the organisation of the tournament, which was announced on April 18 but fell apart just 48 hours later when the six English teams that had entered all withdrew.

The proposed competition guaranteed participation for the 12 founding teams.

But the anti-competitive tournament prompted outrage around the football world, and pressure from fans, players, coaches, governing bodies, governments and the media soon told.

Once the Premier League clubs – Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea – pulled out, it was clear the project would not be viable.

Milan, Inter and Atletico Madrid soon followed.

However, there has been reluctance from Juve, Barca and Madrid to let the Super League die.

Amid urging from UEFA and others to back away from the project, those clubs collaborated on May 8 to defend their actions.

The three clubs stated: "The founding clubs have suffered, and continue to suffer, unacceptable third-party pressures, threats, and offences to abandon the project and therefore desist from their right and duty to provide solutions to the football ecosystem via concrete proposals and constructive dialogue.

"This is intolerable under the rule of law and tribunals have already ruled in favour of the Super League proposal, ordering FIFA and UEFA to, either directly or through their affiliated bodies, refrain from taking any action which may hinder this initiative in any way while court proceedings are pending."

They stressed that "structural reforms are vital to ensure our sport remains appealing and survives in the long-term."

Madrid, Barca and Juve claim the Super League provided "a unique opportunity to offer fans around the world the best possible show and to reinforce global interest in the sport".

Related items

  • 'It doesn't look good' - Aston Villa boss Gerrard expects Bailey to be out at least a couple games 'It doesn't look good' - Aston Villa boss Gerrard expects Bailey to be out at least a couple games

    Jamaica international and Aston Villa wide player Leon Bailey is likely to miss at least a couple of games after leaving the pitch in the first half against Manchester City earlier this week.

    The 24-year-old cut a frustrated figure after he was forced to leave the pitch after just 30 minutes, apparently suffering an issue with his thigh.  The midfielder had previously missed a few weeks after suffering an issue with the muscle after coming on against Everton in September.

    New Villa coach Steven Gerrard admits that the injury did not look good but revealed the team was awaiting the results of a scan.

    "Leon's one doesn't look great," Gerrard told BirminghamLive.

    "He obviously has a muscle problem which, when he sprinted, he pulled up. He has a problem that we will analyse in the coming days,” he added.

    "He will need an MRI scan and we will have to find out what the damage is. It looks like he will miss at least a couple of games. He was starting to look a real threat in training."

    Villa will be back in action this weekend with a home fixture against Leicester City.  Bailey has missed five out of 14 Premier League games due to injuries this season.

  • Ronaldo scores 800th career goal in Man Utd clash with Arsenal Ronaldo scores 800th career goal in Man Utd clash with Arsenal

    Cristiano Ronaldo reached yet another milestone when he scored his 800th career goal in Manchester United's clash with Arsenal on Thursday.

    Ronaldo was reinstated to the United starting XI after being benched for the 1-1 draw at Chelsea, and he justified his return when he converted Marcus Rashford's cross early in the second half to put the Red Devils 2-1 ahead.

    The strike takes Ronaldo to 11 goals in 16 appearances in all competitions in his second spell at United, having sensationally returned to Old Trafford in August when it initially looked as though he was heading to Manchester City.

    The five-time Ballon d'Or winner has scored a combined 685 club goals for Real Madrid, Juventus, Sporting CP and United, with the other 115 coming with Portugal – no one has more than him on the international stage in the history of the men's game.

     

    Ronaldo was most prolific in Madrid, scoring an incredible 450 goals in 438 appearances to become the club's all-time leading scorer, also providing 132 assists.

    His best club season also came with Los Blancos, netting 61 times from just 47.9 expected goals (xG) in 54 games across all competitions in 2014-15.

    In that campaign, Ronaldo registered the best minutes-per-goal ratio (76.1) of any player from Europe's top five leagues to have scored at least 10 in all competitions.

    The Portugal captain's favourite opponent is Sevilla, scoring 27 times in just 18 appearances against them, although he will also have fond memories of Granada and Espanyol, scoring five goals in a game against each of them in 2015.

    Not only is the 36-year-old forward the highest-scoring player in international football, he also boasts the all-time record in the Champions League (140).

    Ronaldo's effort against the Gunners was his first in the Premier League in over a month, last netting in the competition back on October 30 when United beat Tottenham 3-0 away from home.

  • Eriksen agent says 'it's not the time' to discuss Inter midfielder's future Eriksen agent says 'it's not the time' to discuss Inter midfielder's future

    Christian Eriksen's agent Martin Schoots says it is not the right time to discuss the Inter midfielder's future following his return to training with Danish side Odense.

    Denmark international Eriksen has not played since suffering a cardiac arrest during his country's opening Euro 2020 game in June.

    The 29-year-old was given CPR before subsequently undergoing successful heart surgery.

    He has since been fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), meaning he is unable to play for Inter in Serie A due to not meeting the "requirements of achieving sporting fitness" in Italy.

    Eriksen would be allowed to play in other domestic leagues across Europe, however, and it was revealed on Thursday that he is now training with Odense, the club he represented at youth level before joining Ajax in 2008. 

    That has led to talk of a possible playing return for Eriksen in the near future, but Schoots says the playmaker is not looking that far ahead.

    "Like any person having experienced what Christian has, he is working on his recovery," agent Schoots told Spox. 

    "He likes to do this in his own environment in Milan or when he is in Denmark, privately, in his country of birth.

    "Occasionally, when he has some time in Denmark and when he feels like it, he may use the facilities of Odense BK, which is a great gesture from his former club.

    "Chris has a positive, optimistic and energetic character, but it is not the time to talk about football. Only Christian will decide if and when this moment will come."

    Inter confirmed in October that they were open to allowing the midfielder to join a new club in a league where he will be permitted to play.

    Eriksen joined Inter from Tottenham in January 2020 and has made 25 appearances for the Serie A champions in all competitions.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.