European Super League: IOC president Bach says 'profit-driven approach' threatens sport

By Sports Desk April 20, 2021

"Profit-driven" projects like the European Super League threaten the existing structure and mission of sport, according to International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach.

Bach appeared at the UEFA Congress in Montreux, Switzerland on Tuesday.

The furore caused by 12 of Europe's leading clubs announcing a breakaway competition that would see them leave existing structures in place under UEFA and FIFA continues to cause intense debate.

Bach warned that self-interest and commercialism would come at a huge cost for European sport.

He insisted such an approach was not what was needed as society rebuilds as it emerges from the coronavirus pandemic.

"We have to realise that this European sport model is under threat today," Bach said. 

"In fact, the very existence of the values, solidarity and volunteer-based model is under threat. 

"It is challenged by a purely profit-driven approach that ignores the intrinsic values the social mission of sport and the real needs of the post-coronavirus world. 

"It is under threat because the social mission of sports organisations is losing ground to the purely profit-oriented goals of commercial sport providers and investors. 

"If everything is only looked at from a business perspective. If only the economic rules are applied to measure the impact of sport on society then the social mission of sport is lost.

"In this polarising environment narrow self-interest and egotism have been gaining ground over solidarity, shared values and common rules. 

"We can only address the challenges of the post-coronavirus world in solidarity. This means for us solidarity within sports organisations and solidarity among sports organisations."

At the same conference, FIFA president Gianni Infantino condemned the European Super League.

Infantino warned clubs involved they "cannot be half in or half out" and must fully commit to the breakaway competition.

Related items

  • The Numbers Game: Milan attempt to put January blues behind them with derby win over Inter The Numbers Game: Milan attempt to put January blues behind them with derby win over Inter

    Milan will attempt to recover from a miserable January when they do battle with in-form Inter in a derby at San Siro on Sunday.

    The Rossoneri have suffered three consecutive defeats in all competitions, conceding 12 goals in the process to lose the Supercoppa Italiana and leave their hopes of retaining the Serie A title in tatters.

    Stefano Pioli's side have slipped to fifth, but a victory this weekend would put them above their second-placed city rivals.

    Either way, there are appears to be no stopping Napoli in their quest for the Scudetto, with the runaway leaders holding a 13-point advantage at the summit.

    Stats Perform picks out the standout Opta numbers for a derby Milan fans may be dreading given their alarming slump.

    Milan suffer the January blues

    It has certainly not been a happy new year for Milan so far, and a 5-2 home defeat to Sassuolo last Sunday saw them sink to a new low.

    That came on the back of a 4-0 hammering at Lazio, and Inter also capitalised on their defensive frailties to win the Supercoppa Italiana with a 3-0 victory last month.

    Milan have extended the season of goodwill into 2023, and they made unwanted history in January, with the 18 goals they conceded more than they had previously shipped in any single month since records began in 1929-30.

    The last time they lost four games in a row was between January and February 2017 under Vincenzo Montella.

    Inter to deny Milan a long-awaited double?

    Inter have won their past two games in all competitions and were able to keep defender Milan Skriniar during the transfer window, although he is expected to join Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season.

    Simone Inzaghi's side have lost their past two Serie A derbies against Milan, but they have not suffered three losses in a row to their fierce rivals since a run of four defeats on the spin between November 2002 and February 2004.

    Rafael Leao scored twice in a 3-2 win when Milan were the home team in the Serie A clash in September, and they will be striving to complete a first league double over Inter since the 2010-11 campaign.

    Nerazzurri's strong home form built on solid foundations

    While Milan can't stop conceding goals, Inter have had no such trouble at home in Serie A this season.

    They have only let five goals in at home in the league, the joint-best record along with Roma.

    Only Napoli (28) have earned more points at home this season than Inzaghi's men, who have 24 from 10 games – winning eight and losing two.

     

    More derby delight for Giroud?

    Milan striker Olivier Giroud has scored in both Serie A derbies he has played in against Inter.

    The France international could become the first player to find the back of the net in his first three derbies for Milan in the three-points-for-a-win era (since 1994-95).

    Giroud was on target in the drubbing at the hands of Sassuolo last weekend, that goal taking his tally in Serie A to six for the season.

  • Potter chops Aubameyang from Chelsea's Champions League squad as Joao Felix, Mudryk and Fernandez come in Potter chops Aubameyang from Chelsea's Champions League squad as Joao Felix, Mudryk and Fernandez come in

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been dropped from Chelsea's Champions League squad, with head coach Graham Potter bringing in new recruits Joao Felix, Enzo Fernandez and Mykhailo Mudryk.

    The dramatic move to ditch striker Aubameyang reflects the striker's declining status with the Blues, for whom he last started a game in November.

    Potter warned on Thursday there would be "awkward" conversations ahead as he finalised his group for the remainder of Chelsea's European campaign, and leaving out 33-year-old Aubameyang may have been on his mind at the time.

    The former Arsenal and Barcelona frontman has scored only three goals this season in 18 appearances, of which 10 have been starts, and his absence leaves Chelsea without an out-and-out striker.

    Aubameyang started in all six of Chelsea's Champions League group games, scoring home and away against Milan.

    Potter has instead put his trust in Kai Havertz, who has spent much of his career as an attacking midfielder, plus attackers Joao Felix, who is on loan from Atletico Madrid, and Mudryk, who arrived from Shakhtar Donetsk.

    Raheem Sterling, named as a midfielder on Chelsea's squad list, is another front-line option.

    Chelsea face Borussia Dortmund at the last-16 stage of the Champions League, with the away leg on February 15 and the home game set for March 7.

    Winning that competition looks to be club's best opportunity of getting back into the Champions League for next season, given Chelsea are flagging in 10th place in the Premier League.

    Joao Felix and Mudryk have been joined by fellow January signing Fernandez in Potter's squad for Europe, but four players acquired during the mid-season transfer window miss out: Benoit Badiashile, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana and Noni Madueke.

    Chelsea, like all clubs, were only allowed to add three new names to the squad that contested the group stage, with no more than 25 players allowed.

    Another notable inclusion was Hakim Ziyech, the winger who looked set to join Paris Saint-Germain on deadline day, only for the deal to collapse late on.

  • Conte could make shock Spurs return for Man City game after midweek surgery Conte could make shock Spurs return for Man City game after midweek surgery

    Antonio Conte could be on the Tottenham bench for Sunday's Premier League game against Manchester City, just four days after having his gallbladder removed.

    That possibility was revealed by his assistant coach, Cristian Stellini, who would take the reins if Conte has to wait for his return to work.

    Stellini held the fort at Friday's pre-match press conference, and there is a strong chance of him remaining in charge for the home clash with title-chasing City.

    Yet Conte said within hours of the operation that he was "already feeling better", and that improvement has continued according to his second-in-command.

    Stellini said: "We don't know yet when Antonio is coming back. Everything is possible. The surgery was good and he's recovering well.

    "At the moment he's at home. We have two days before the game and everything can happen."

    Asked whether Conte could therefore be involved on Sunday, Stellini said: "We don't know yet. The decision will be made tomorrow. We are ready to do everything.

    "Probably a doctor that did the surgery, they have to decide for him. We have 48 hours from today to decide, so we have time."

    Conte was experiencing severe pain which necessitated the surgery, and usually a patient will need a longer recovery than four days after such an operation.

    The UK's National Health Service suggests a patient will usually require two weeks of recovery before returning to a desk job, and longer for manual work.

    Given Conte is usually an animated figure on the Tottenham touchline, his role seemingly falls into the latter category, and Stellini said it would be important for his fellow Italian to be prudent once he does come back.

    "I think no one here can keep Antonio calm. He knows that to have a surgery and a surprise like he had, it's not easy," Stellini said.

    "He's an intelligent man, so he knows what's happened to him. It's not the worst surgery you can have, but it's a surgery. You have to be careful and Antonio has to do it."

    Stellini said Conte's staff, including first-team coach Ryan Mason, were ready to carry out his usual duties.

    "Antonio sends me a message and he trusts us completely, one hundred per cent trust in the staff," Stellini said. "We are focused more than normal because we have to do what Antonio normally does, and Antonio is happy about our job."

    He said Conte had been "so sad" about the prospect of having to have surgery, and it comes at a time when fifth-placed Tottenham do not want to risk becoming cut off from the top four.

    They trail Newcastle United and Manchester United by three points, having played one game more than both, raising the stakes for a rematch with City, a fortnight after Spurs squandered a 2-0 half-time lead and lost 4-2 to the same opposition at the Etihad Stadium.

    Stellini said Tottenham are "scared, in the right way" about the game, expressing optimism the outcome can be different this time, with Richarlison fit to play and new recruit Pedro Porro in line for a possible debut.

    "This is the game you are waiting for, and you want to play every time this type of game," Stellini said.

    "The players are excited. I feel the players are so focused on this match. For sure, we have to be worried in the right way, speaking about not only [Erling] Haaland but all the team they have.

    "It's a great team, maybe it's the greatest team in the world, and they fight every time to win a trophy.

    "So we are scared, in the right way. We respect them, but we think we can repeat the same first half we had in the last game and we can do it for 90 minutes."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.