Man Utd in contract talks with Cavani, confirms Solskjaer

By Sports Desk March 21, 2021

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed the club are in contract discussions with Edinson Cavani.

Cavani joined United as a free agent on a one-year deal at the start of the season and the 34-year-old has impressed in Manchester, where the Uruguayan has scored seven goals and supplied two assists across 25 appearances in all competitions.

Paris Saint-Germain's all-time leading scorer, Cavani has been linked with Argentine powerhouse Boca Juniors following comments made by his father Luis.

But Solskjaer said United – second in the Premier League standings – are in talks with Cavani over his future at Old Trafford.

"We're speaking to Eddy," Solskjaer said ahead of Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final against Leicester City.

"Edinson is a top striker and whatever he decides to do, let's see. We're in good dialogue with him.

"We want a competitive squad and we need someone up there to score the goals for us. So we're looking at it."

Earlier this month, Cavani's father Luis claimed the veteran was not happy in the Premier League and "would like to play for Boca".

"My son is not happy in England and wants to return nearer his family. He wants to play in South America," he told TyC Sports.

"I want Edinson to play for a team which fights for important trophies. He has had many conversations with [Boca vice-president Juan Roman] Riquelme and would like to play for Boca.

"At the halfway point of the year, he'd like to return to South America. My son’s idea is not to continue there [in Manchester]. He wants to return.

"I think he's going to come back in June this year."

Cavani Sr cited his son's punishment by the Football Association (FA) for using a racially insensitive word in a social media post as a factor in his unhappiness.

"There are things which sometimes annoy us as humans, as people. The whole ban issue annoyed him," Luis Cavani added.

"That has been playing on him, sometimes players can't find form either. These things can weigh heavy on you. Sometimes mentally you can get dragged down."

Related items

  • Belotti becomes free agent as Inter officially clinch double deal Belotti becomes free agent as Inter officially clinch double deal

    The official start of the new club season brought confirmation of a number of transfers in Serie A – and Andrea Belotti will also soon be on the move.

    Striker Belotti, who is out of contract with Torino, was not among those listed on the league website as having secured a new club.

    But Torino released a statement early on Friday to confirm the Italy man would be departing, having scored 113 goals in 251 appearances across all competitions in seven years since signing from Palermo.

    "Dear Andrea, we take note of your decision to undertake a new experience," the club said. "From today, our paths separate.

    "We have lived together seven seasons, which in modern football represents a very strong bond, always sharing with the same passion joys and sufferings, emotions and disappointments.

    "We thank you for all that you have given us, proud with the contribution of everyone of what you have become for Il Toro, and we greet you with a big good luck for the continuation of your career."

    Belotti becomes a free agent, but one man who had similarly reached the end of his contracts has found a new home at Inter.

    Confirmation of a deal for Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the ex-Roma midfielder, had been anticipated. Andre Onana, the Ajax goalkeeper, was also expected to join the Nerazzurri.

    Although Inter did not officially announce either signing immediately on Friday, their names appeared on the Serie A list alongside Romelu Lukaku and Kristjan Asllani.

  • Man City sign keeper Ortega Moreno Man City sign keeper Ortega Moreno

    Manchester City have made goalkeeper Stefan Ortega Moreno their second signing of the transfer window.

    The 29-year-old was a free agent after leaving Arminia Bielefeld and has signed a three-year deal with the Premier League champions in a move that is subject to international clearance.

    Ortega Moreno will provide back-up for Ederson for Pep Guardiola's side, with Zack Steffen set to join Championship side Middlesbrough on loan.

    The arrival of German Ortega Moreno comes after City landed prolific Norway striker Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund.

    "This is a fantastic move for me," Ortega Moreno told the club's official website. "Manchester City are an amazing team – a squad with world-class quality in every area.

    "To be given the chance to join this group of players and help continue the club's success is a dream for me.

    "I have enjoyed my time in Germany and I want to thank the Arminia Bielefeld fans for their support. But this new challenge of coming to City and playing in the Premier League is too good for me to ignore. 

    "I can't wait to get started, meet my team-mates and begin working with Pep and his backroom staff."

    Meanwhile, City have allowed teenage defender CJ Egan-Riley to join Vincent Kompany's Burnley on a four-year deal.

     

  • Tolisso returns to Lyon on five-year deal Tolisso returns to Lyon on five-year deal

    Corentin Tolisso has returned to Lyon on a five-year deal after leaving Bayern Munich.

    The 27-year-old midfielder left Lyon to join Bayern for a fee of €41.5million in 2017 and experienced five successful years with the Bavarian giants.

    Tolisso won five Bundesliga titles, lifted the Champions League in 2021 and the DFB-Pokal twice.

    A World Cup winner with France in 2018, he also won the Club World Cup and the European Super Cup two years ago.

    Tolisso was available as a free agent after his Bayern contract expired and has opted to move back to the club where he started his career.

    He told the club's official website: "I'm very happy to come back and be part of the club's new project.

    "Lyon is my city, it's where I grew up, where I feel good and I come back with great pleasure.

    "I felt a lot of love from the supporters and I can't wait to vibrate with them again at Groupama Stadium."

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas said: "This is a very big day for me. Corentin is a very great player and also a great man. We are continuing ambitious recruitment based on OL DNA"

    Tolisso will be reunited with Alexandre Lacazette, who also returned to Lyon after leaving Arsenal.

     

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.