Milan-linked De Ketelaere dreams of leaving Brugge for 'foreign adventure'

By Sports Desk February 19, 2021

Club Brugge's midfield prodigy Charles De Ketelaere has been linked with Milan and Lazio and admits he dreams of testing himself in a foreign league.

De Ketelaere broke into Brugge's first team in 2019-20 and was named the 2020 Belgian Promising Talent of the Year last December, one month after making his senior international debut.

The 19-year-old also finished fifth in the voting for the Belgian Golden Shoe, which is awarded to the best player in the country's top flight.

De Ketelaere has a contract with Brugge until June 2023 and is interested in challenging himself abroad, though he is no rush to leave Belgium.

"Honestly, I do dream of an adventure abroad, but I don't have to right now," he told Krant van West-Vlaanderen.

"I will always make a healthy choice. Only sporting ambitious count. You always want to improve.

"There is no concrete career plan. A few foreign clubs were interested, but if I say that I want to stay at Club Brugge for another three years I would be very happy with that."

 

Brugge sit top of the Belgian Pro League and 13 points clear of second-placed Royal Antwerp.

The impressive De Ketelaere has only started 15 of their 26 league fixtures this season, but he has certainly made his impact felt.

De Ketelaere has supplied 35 key passes, which is the most of any player under the age of 21, and just under half of those have come following a carry.

His tally of 16 carries with a chance created is bettered only by Stef Peeters (18), Francis Amuzu (18) and Xavier Mercier (19).

The teenager is averaging two key passes per 90 minutes in the Pro League this season, as well as one interception, 4.8 recoveries and 1.9 tackles.

Related items

  • Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation Brighton sign midfielder Ayari amid Caicedo speculation

    Brighton and Hove Albion have completed the signing of Yasin Ayari as speculation over Moises Caicedo's future continues.

    Ayari, a Sweden international who plays in central midfield, has signed a four-and-a-half-year deal at Brighton after joining from AIK.

    The 19-year-old has reportedly cost Brighton £5.2million (€6m).

    "Yasin is a versatile and technical midfield player, who is good on the ball and capable of playing across the midfield," said Brighton's sporting director David Weir.

    "He's had an impressive spell in Sweden with AIK, and we are delighted to have completed his transfer and to be welcoming him to the club.

    "He will need time to settle here and acclimatise to the Premier League, but we are really looking forward to working with him."

    While Ayari is viewed as one for the future, he may be required to step up to the first team ahead of schedule should Caicedo have his wish to leave Brighton granted in the final days of the transfer window.

    Caicedo has told Brighton he wishes to leave, with league leaders Arsenal having submitted a bid, reported to be £60m, last week.

    The Ecuador international posted an open message to Brighton on Friday, saying he was "proud to be able to bring in a record transfer fee for Brighton which would allow them to reinvest it and help the club continue to be successful".

    Caicedo was not involved in Brighton's 2-1 FA Cup win against Liverpool on Sunday, and Arsenal are said to have lodged a new offer worth £70m.

    Brighton have already sold one of their stars to the Gunners this month, with Leandro Trossard having joined Mikel Arteta's side.

  • Wolves sign Copa Libertadores-winning midfielder Gomes from Flamengo Wolves sign Copa Libertadores-winning midfielder Gomes from Flamengo

    Wolves have completed the signing of Flamengo's Copa Libertadores winner Joao Gomes, making the highly rated midfielder their sixth addition of the transfer window.

    Gomes has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract with Julen Lopetegui's men, having reportedly rejected interest from Lyon in order to join the Premier League side in a £15million ($18.5m) deal.

    Reports claimed Flamengo were refusing to deal with Wolves after receiving a more lucrative offer from the Ligue 1 club earlier this month, delaying his departure.

    But the 21-year-old, who started as Flamengo beat Athletico Paranaense to win their third Libertadores crown in October's final, has joined Matheus Cunha, Pablo Sarabia, Mario Lemina, Craig Dawson and Daniel Bentley in moving to Molineux this month.

    Wolves sporting director Matt Hobbs said: "It's been well publicised that we thought we had a deal sorted a couple of weeks ago, but what's got the deal done has been the player. 

    "He's turned down a more lucrative offer at another club because he always said he gave his word, he always wanted to come to Wolves since talking to Julen and I, so he's kept his word and stayed strong."

    Gomes will now miss out on a potential meeting with Real Madrid after helping Flamengo reach next month's Club World Cup, and could instead make his Premier League debut against Liverpool on Saturday.  

  • Howe claims the best is yet to come from Newcastle new boy Gordon as Shelvey set for Forest Howe claims the best is yet to come from Newcastle new boy Gordon as Shelvey set for Forest

    Eddie Howe believes Anthony Gordon will be a hit with the Newcastle United supporters and confirmed Jonjo Shelvey is in the process of leaving the club.

    Gordon joined Newcastle from struggling Everton over the weekend.

    Newcastle have reportedly paid an initial £40million for the 21-year-old, with an additional £5m due in add-ons.

    Gordon handed in a transfer request at Everton last week, having missed three training sessions, though Howe has no concerns over the winger's attitude.

    "He'll give us a lot," Howe said in a press conference ahead of Tuesday's EFL Cup semi-final second leg against Southampton.

    "He's a young player with huge potential to have a big impact on our season.

    "Very quick, dynamic. He's versatile and can play on both sides. The best is yet to come from him. I've got no doubts about his character. He is fiercely determined and ambitious.

    "I believe he will fit our style of play. He is an incredible athlete and has the ability to run box-to-box at very high speed.

    "I think he has the athletic durability that we want in our wide players. He has the passion that the fans will feed off but Anthony will have to earn that support."

    Gordon's fiery side was on show when Everton lost at St James' Park in October, clashing with Kieran Trippier, Fabian Schar and Nick Pope.

    "It's interesting looking back at the footage, I like that he didn't stand down that day. He was aggressive," Howe added.

    "The supporters and his team-mates will grow to love that about him."

    While Gordon has bolstered Newcastle's attacking options, Howe is set to lose midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, who is on the verge of following Chris Wood to Nottingham Forest.

    "Jonjo has had injuries this season and certainly I would not want to lose him," Howe said of the former Liverpool midfielder.

    "I have to understand again, similar to Chris Wood, the player's wishes with his contract coming to an end.

    "It will be very difficult to keep Jonjo currently, with where he wants his career to go. We can keep players who want to leave – there is nothing to say that every player that wants to leave you have to let go.

    "But you have to take every situation independently and try to judge everything, judge what is best for him and the club.

    "This is a very difficult situation. From a footballing perspective, I definitely want to keep Jonjo, I rate him highly. Jonjo I believe is talking to Nottingham Forest, I don't know what stage that is at."

    Newcastle have been linked with a loan move for Sheffield United's Sander Berge and Howe confirmed he wants a replacement for Shelvey, though acknowledged it would be "very difficult" to sign another player on a permanent basis in the final two days of the window.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.