Brocchi dreaming of Milan reunion as Berlusconi's Serie A-chasing Monza try to recreate Rossoneri

By Sports Desk January 22, 2021

Silvio Berlusconi, Adriano Galliani, Cristian Brocchi, Mario Balotelli, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Gabriel Paletta.

There is a real Milan vibe about Monza, who are nestled 15 kilometres north of the Lombardy capital, as the ambitious club stand closer than ever to achieving their goal of Serie A promotion after spending their entire existence in the lower leagues.

Monza are owned by former Milan president and Italy prime minister Berlusconi, who returned to football in 2018 after selling his beloved Rossoneri a year earlier.

After purchasing the club through his Fininvest company, Berlusconi turned to his trusted right-hand man Galliani – who was born in Monza – as CEO. Their partnership helped turn the Rossoneri into a superpower, with eight Serie A titles and five Champions League/European Cup crowns among the 29 pieces of silverware between 1986 and 2017.

Monza are also coached by former Milan midfielder and boss Brocchi, while the Serie B outfit also boasts ex-Rossoneri players Balotelli, Boateng and Paletta.

After completing their rise from Serie C to the second tier of Italian football amid the coronavirus pandemic in 2019-20, Monza are well and truly in the promotion mix – fourth and six points adrift of leaders Empoli, while they are only two points behind Cittadella, who occupy the final automatic spot through 18 games.

Moving up to Serie A would mean a Milan reunion for many of Monza's staff and players, as well as Brocchi – who won the Scudetto and two Champions League titles among other honours at San Siro between 2001 and 2008 before spending a brief period in charge eight years later.

"It is a dream that hopefully will come true. To have brought the Milan mentality coming from our board – always striving to build an important organisation similar to the Milan that won so much worldwide," Brocchi told Stats Perform News.

"Board, manager and some players have worn that shirt and the dream to recreate Milan here in Monza is beautiful and emotional."

"It is a tough season. There are many strong clubs, the ones relegated from A [in 2019-20] who have retained all the important players and those who last season had built up a squad for promotion and failed, so I think this year's Serie B is the hardest of recent times," he continued.

Monza – back in Serie B following a 19-year absence – are no ordinary second-tier team in Italy, with all eyes on the Bagai due to Berlusconi.

Berlusconi's presence has changed the landscape for Monza, who tried to sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic before the star striker opted to return to Milan in January last year. However, Monza have since lured Balotelli and Boateng to the club.

"Working for Berlusconi and Galliani's club is grand because all media attention is on you. For sure everybody thinks Monza have to win every game because these two people have gone down in football history winning so much. And this is exactly our goal," Brocchi said.

"I know very well Berlusconi and Galliani's wish is to reach Serie A and win every game. We share the same mindset because I have grown up with them since I was nine. To me it is an honour to be the manager here.

"For sure it is beautiful and important for me to manage in a club like Monza that are very ambitious. It is not easy to take a club from Serie C to Serie A but it is emotional because you have a lot of responsibilities and adrenaline is always rushing. As I said, to face strong clubs with your own aim and manage to overcome them, would make this even better." 

Brocchi, who oversaw just seven matches as Milan coach before being replaced by Vincenzo Montella, continued: "Monza's aim is to improve. We started from C, we are in B and we want Serie A. The difference between us and other clubs is that once in Serie A we won't have the goal of avoiding relegation at the last game, but to rank in the top 10.

"Mr Galliani wants us to always be a strong team going for great objectives. This is what will happen should we win this league."

Balotelli and Boateng are set to play a key role in Monza's push for promotion following their high-profile arrivals.

Boateng has made an immediate impact, with the former Milan and Barcelona midfielder – on average – scoring a goal every 243 minutes in Serie B this season, the best average among Monza players with at least 90 minutes played.

Only Dany Mota has fired more shots on target than Boateng (23 to 10) among Monza players this term and the talented Portuguese forward has four league goals.

Balotelli – coming off a difficult spell at Brescia before their relegation from Serie A – scored with his first touch in Serie B on debut for Monza last month before being sidelined through injury.

"They [Balotelli and Boateng] arrived here in Serie B thanks to the acquaintance they had with Berlusconi and Galliani and even with me as a manager, since I trained them at Milan and we had a great relationship," said Brocchi, who was handed his first senior head-coaching role at Milan after replacing Sinisa Mihajlovic almost five years ago, having previously worked with the club's youth team.

"They settled in very well, they always train hard, they lead by example by showing the will to take me, Berlusconi, Galliani and Monza to Serie A. So far they have been important, let's hope they can give us even more in order to make this dream come true."

The experience of Balotelli and Boateng complements an exciting core of Monza players, including Mota and Brazilian full-back Carlos Augusto, as well as talented loanees Davide Frattesi (Sassuolo), Andrea Colpani (Atalanta) and Davide Bettella (Atalanta).

Both Balotelli and Boateng have tasted Serie A success in their careers to go with respective Premier League and LaLiga honours, with the latter part of the last Milan team to celebrate Scudetto glory in 2010-11.

The strategy of sporting director Filippo Antonelli and Brocchi to invest in promising young talent has continued to deliver results on the pitch.

Monza have allowed the fewest headed goals (one) in Serie B this season, while Brocchi's side have conceded 10 goals from inside the box – the least in the league, while they have scored five goals inside the opening 15 minutes of play – the joint most in 2020-21.

"Monza are a mix of experienced players and great young talents. The right mix to achieve our goals. Players like Balotelli and Boateng can help Mota, Carlos Augusto, Frattesi, Colpani or Bettella, all under-21 players for Italy and Portugal," the 44-year-old Brocchi said.

"You can't only field experienced players, you have to look for the right mix and this is what Antonelli and I looked for. I think experience helps youngsters and their exuberance helps the expert ones."

Related items

  • Three Trinidadian referees selected to officiate at FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Colombia Three Trinidadian referees selected to officiate at FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Colombia

    Trinidadian referees Crystal Sobers, Melissa Douglas and Carissa Douglas-Jacob have been appointed to the 2024 FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup scheduled for Colombia from August 31 to September 22.

    Sobers will serve as a referee while Douglas and Douglas-Jacob will serve as assistant referees.

    TTFA president Kieron Edwards commended the appointment of the Trinidad and Tobago Women officials, highlighting it as a significant milestone for women referees in local football.

    This development is part of a broader initiative by FIFA, CONCACAF and the TTFA to promote gender equality and enhance the professionalism of women referees.

    “I am delighted to congratulate our outstanding female referees on their Under-20 Women’s World Cup appointments. Their tireless efforts and exceptional performances have been recognised on the world stage, and we are immensely proud of their accomplishments,” Edwards told Trinidad Express.

    “Their appointments to the World Cup reflect their incredible dedication, skill, and leadership. They are role models for aspiring referees everywhere. Your hard work and commitment to excellence have set a high standard for the entire officiating community,” he added.

  • Mbappe edging closer to return at Euros, says Deschamps Mbappe edging closer to return at Euros, says Deschamps

    France manager Didier Deschamps says Kylian Mbappe is "raring to go", hinting that the forward could be back in the fold for their final Euro 2024 group game against Poland.

    Mbappe suffered a broken nose after a collision with Kevin Danso during the win over Austria in their opening game and sat out of their goalless draw with the Netherlands last Friday.

    Having been fitted with a protective mask, the France captain is back in full training, and scored two goals in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Saturday.

    France are not yet guaranteed a place in the knockout stages of the competition, but they will be if they avoid defeat against Poland, who were the first team to crash out of Euro 2024.

    And, after struggling to break down a stubborn Dutch side in their last game, Mbappe's return would be a welcome one for Deschamps, though he admits it could be difficult for him to adapt to the mask.

    "It's better every day," Deschamps said. "He was in our training sessions. The bruise has gone down a lot. He's getting used to the mask.

    "He wants to play, he's raring to go. He wanted to play against the Netherlands, and he wants to play tomorrow.

    "[He has] no problems with breathing but the way he sees, yes. For those who play with a mask, it's not a constraint, but it does limit your vision. He wears it because he needs to protect his face in certain incidents that could occur.

    "There will be contact regardless of where you play, whenever you have those one-vs-ones. Obviously, yes, it's maybe hindering, but it'll be something he'll get used to. It's like wearing those 3D glasses. We have as thin a mask as possible."

    N'Golo Kante has been France's stand-out performer at the tournament so far, being awarded Player of the Match in both of their games, after a two-year absence from the squad.

    He is looking forward to linking up with Mbappe on the pitch as France aim to end their dry spell in front of goal.

    "We all know his qualities as a finisher," Kante said. "One of the reassuring facts is that we had a lot of chances without him. With him, we can be more effective.

    "With Kylian back, I think that can help us to score and win. Clearly, it's a big plus to have Kylian back.

    "He was great, decisive, dangerous, he played really well in the training session. To be honest, I forgot that he was wearing a mask.

    "I hope that will reflect on the pitch tomorrow."

  • Everton re-sign Harrison on loan from Leeds United Everton re-sign Harrison on loan from Leeds United

    Everton have confirmed the loan signing of Jack Harrison, who has re-joined the club from Leeds United.

    Harrison spent the 2023-24 campaign on loan with the Toffees, featuring 29 times in the Premier League as Sean Dyche's team stayed up despite having a total of eight points deducted due to breaches of financial regulations.

    The 27-year-old scored three goals, from an expected goals (xG) of 3.6, while also laying on three assists, creating 28 chances in total for his team-mates.

    On Monday, Everton announced they had struck a deal with Leeds, who lost to Southampton in the Championship play-off final in May, for Harrison to return to Goodison Park for the upcoming campaign.

    Dyche told Everton's official website: "We're pleased Jack will be returning to our squad and look forward to working with him again.

    "He made an important contribution to the progress we made last term, both in terms of our attacking output and the defensive steel throughout the team, while his work ethic and willingness to put in the hard yards matches what we expect from our players."

    Harrison marks Everton's second signing of the transfer window, following the arrival of Tim Iroegbunam from Aston Villa for a reported £9million fee.

    In return, winger Lewis Dobbin joined Villa for £10m.

    It has been reported that both Everton and Villa are in danger of breaching the Premier League's financial rules for the 2023-24 accounting period, though these deals will have helped ease those fears somewhat.

    Everton are reportedly in talks to sign Marseille attacker liman Ndiaye, while Newcastle United are rumoured to have cooled their interest in Toffees' striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.