Rumour Has It: Chelsea join Man United in Upamecano tussle, PSG set sights on Pogba

By Sports Desk January 10, 2021

RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano's long-term future appears uncertain, though there is a strong possibility he will end up in the Premier League.

The France international centre-back has emerged as one of Europe's most-promising defenders in recent seasons and is part of a Leipzig side that has conceded just 12 goals in 15 Bundesliga games this season.

Upamecano, 22, looks certain for a big-money move eventually, and although his next destination is unclear, he has plenty of admirers in England.

TOP STORY – CHELSEA TO RIVAL MAN UNITED FOR UPAMECANO

Chelsea are going through a difficult period as they sit ninth in the Premier League, and their options at centre-back do not appear to be entirely to Frank Lampard's liking.

While 36-year-old Thiago Silva and Kurt Zouma have become his preferred pairing, Lampard seems unconvinced by back-up options Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen and Fikayo Tomori.

The Mail on Sunday reports Chelsea have joined the list of clubs lining up for Upamecano, who reportedly has a release of around €50million (£45m) in the new contract he signed last year.

But Chelsea will not expect a free run at Upamecano – the Manchester Evening News claims Manchester United retain an interest in him, with the Red Devils' centre-back options also far from impressive in 2020-21.

ROUND-UP

- Paul Pogba appears to be returning to form on the evidence of his recent displays, but how much longer will he remain at Old Trafford? The Daily Star believes Mauricio Pochettino has identified him as a key target at Paris Saint-Germain. Real Madrid and Juventus have also been linked.

- Declan Rice's future continues to be subject of speculation, with the Daily Mirror reporting he favours a return to Chelsea – whom he played for at academy level – over joining Manchester United.

- Lucas Torreira could be on the move again. Arsenal loaned the Uruguayan midfielder to Atletico Madrid at the start of the season, but he has featured only six times in LaLiga. Mundo Deportivo suggests he is being lined up by Fiorentina.

- Inter could be set to further increase their contingent of former Manchester United players. The Mirror says Jesse Lingard is the latest to be targeted by the Nerazzurri, who already have Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Matteo Darmian and Ashley Young on their books.

- M'Bala Nzola has been one of the revelations of the season in Serie A with promoted Spezia. Napoli are said to be keen on the striker, though CalcioMercato reports Newcastle United and West Ham are monitoring the situation as well.

Related items

  • Now or never for Benzema with Ballon d'Or, but he has Mbappe's backing Now or never for Benzema with Ballon d'Or, but he has Mbappe's backing

    Kylian Mbappe suggests Karim Benzema would have to "stop thinking about the Ballon d'Or forever" if he did not win the top individual award this year.

    Benzema is the favourite among the 30 Ballon d'Or nominees announced by France Football on Friday.

    The announcement marked the end of an era, with last year's winner Lionel Messi absent from the shortlist for the first time since 2005.

    Mbappe is at the forefront of the next generation of contenders, and he told France Football he would put himself on the 2022 podium alongside Benzema and Sadio Mane.

    But the forward's France team-mate Benzema is clearly a deserving winner, having inspired Real Madrid to LaLiga and Champions League glory.

    Indeed, Mbappe feels Benzema will never take home the Ballon d'Or if this is not his year.

    "Of course. He is 34 years old, has just made the season of his life, wins another Champions League by often being decisive," the Paris Saint-Germain striker told France Football.

    "Instead of Karim, if I don't win there [in that position], I stop thinking about the Ballon d'Or forever."

    It has been a fine week for Benzema, who surpassed Raul as Madrid's outright second-highest goalscorer in a midweek Super Cup win over Eintracht Frankfurt, while he was shortlisted for the UEFA Men's Player of the Year award ahead of his Ballon d'Or nomination.

    But prior to the match in Helsinki, Benzema said: "I'm not like that in terms of whether I'm the best or not. I always give my all for this club, the best club in the world.

    "I have to give more and more every year. It's true I had a very good season, but other people can comment on if I'm the best in the world. I'm focused on helping my team in matches, that's all I can say.

    "I'm not thinking about [the Ballon d'Or]; there's trophies to win every year, that's very important. I always stress the importance of success for the team that leads to individual success."

    After Madrid's victory, Los Blancos coach Carlo Ancelotti said there was "no doubt" that Benzema was the world's best player.

  • Barcelona midfielder Nico completes Valencia loan move Barcelona midfielder Nico completes Valencia loan move

    Barcelona midfielder Nico Gonzalez has completed a season-long loan move to LaLiga rivals Valencia.

    The 20-year-old broke into Barca's first team last season, scoring two goals and providing as many assists in 37 appearances.

    With Franck Kessie among the Blaugrana's new signings and Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva reportedly a target, Nico informed Xavi he wanted to move on in order to be given more playing time.

    Valencia on Saturday confirmed Nico will spend the 2022-23 campaign at the Mestalla Stadium.

    Barca's head coach Xavi on Friday stated that he had mixed feelings over Nico's temporary switch.

    He said: "[Nico] came to me three weeks ago. I insisted that he continue because he would have minutes. I like Nico.

    "But a few days ago he came back and told me that there was a team where he would play. He has been brave and is going to Valencia.

    "I hope he comes back more mature because it must be important for the future of Barca. For the midfield we have [Sergio] Busquets, [Miralem] Pjanic, Kessie, Frenkie [de Jong], Sergi Roberto, and even [Andreas] Christensen, who can play there."

    Valencia start their season at home to newly promoted Girona on Sunday, while Barca face Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

  • De Ligt explains Juventus criticism, wants 'to get my Ajax game back' De Ligt explains Juventus criticism, wants 'to get my Ajax game back'

    Matthijs de Ligt insists he did not "attack" Juventus when pointing out the club had underperformed, although he feels he will be better suited to playing for Bayern Munich.

    De Ligt left Juve for Bayern ahead of the 2022-23 season, having widely been seen as failing to fulfil his potential in three years in Turin.

    The Netherlands centre-back was outstanding in Ajax's run to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals, earning a move to Juve, where he faced a battle for his place.

    De Ligt started fewer than 30 Serie A matches in each of his three seasons with the Bianconeri.

    There was some backlash then when De Ligt, discussing the possibility of a transfer in June, criticised Juve's back-to-back fourth-placed finishes.

    Speaking to De Telegraaf on Saturday, De Ligt explained: "In an interview with NOS in June, I said that – as the club itself thinks – to be fourth tw‪ice in a row with Juventus is not good enough.

    "That was not an attack on Juventus. Not at all, because I will always have the utmost respect for this club.

    "For me, it was just a fact that no one could be satisfied, that the bar had to be raised, including for me. Maybe it came across incorrectly."

    De Ligt added he would "never forget" the help he received from his Juve team-mates in his "development as a footballer and as a person".

    However, he likened the style of play in Serie A to chess, saying it is "much more tactical".

    Now, De Ligt believes both he and Louis van Gaal's Netherlands team can benefit from his move to Bayern, where the approach is more in line with that he learned at Ajax.

    "I am very happy that I was able to experience that [at Juve], that I was able to play that way, because I have learned a lot," he said.

    "The reason for going to Juventus was also to become a better defender, even though there were differences with the Dutch national team.

    "At Juventus, I often had to stay in the position, while at certain times I was required to go [forward] with the Oranje.

    "At Bayern, I want to get my Ajax game back again.

    "[Bayern coach Julian] Nagelsmann's playing style is much closer to what Louis van Gaal asks of his defenders: defending high, putting high pressure, connecting well and playing forward a lot.

    "I think it's a move that can be good for the Dutch national team and my chances, but I did discuss the transfer with [Van Gaal]. He said he had a great time here."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.