Barry Corr does not expect to be in charge for Cambridge’s next match

By Sports Desk December 02, 2023

Cambridge interim manager Barry Corr saw his side book a place in the third round of the FA Cup with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Fleetwood in his first game in charge but said he does not expect to be in the dugout when the U’s return to league action next week.

Corr, who took temporary charge when manager Mark Bonner was dismissed on Wednesday, said the club was already in talks with prospective new coaches.

He will take training again on Monday, but said: “I spoke to Ben (Strang, Cambridge director of football) after the game. He’s had a couple of informal conversations and formal interviews will start next week.

“I’d imagine if the process moves quickly, the new manager could be in place for the Charlton game next Saturday.”

The U’s blew Fleetwood away with three goals in six first-half minutes from Danny Andrew, Elias Kachunga and Fejiri Okenabirhie, before substitute Gassan Ahadme wrapped up the scoring in the second half.

Corr said: “Fleetwood haven’t started well in the last couple of games, so we talked to the players about the importance of a fast start and the game was probably done after 15 minutes, even though I was still nervous in injury time.

“I thought our front four were unplayable at times today.”

Andrew opened the scoring in the seventh minute, curling in a free kick from 22 yards after Kachunga had been fouled by Bosun Lawal.

Four minutes later Kachunga was on target himself, following up to score when Sullay Kaikai’s shot rebounded off the post. Then in the 13th minute the impressive Kaikai set up Okenabirhie, who ran clear and finished confidently.

Brendan Wiredu put Fleetwood’s best chance wide from close range before the U’s missed a penalty in the 29th minute – Ahadme’s tame effort easily saved by Fleetwood goalkeeper Stephen McMullan after a foul on Kaikai by Lawal.

Ahadme made amends in the second half, converting Paul Digby’s 83rd-minute cross to complete the scoring.

Fleetwood’s leaky defence has now conceded 10 goals in three games and manager Lee Johnson apologised to the traveling fans for what was a meek performance.

Johnson said: “It was a crazy 15-minute spell at the start where the details were horrific in terms of our play. I picked a team that I believed could get on the front foot but we were out of sorts.

“I didn’t see that coming and 10 goals in a week is not acceptable. We’ve missed a massive opportunity to advance in the cup because I think Cambridge were beatable.”

Johnson bemoaned his side’s habit of conceding early goals. He said: “It’s been a problem all season and all we can do is get our heads down, fight, and do the basics right.”

Related items

  • Manchester United 4-2 Sheffield United: Fernandes double helps Red Devils to comeback win Manchester United 4-2 Sheffield United: Fernandes double helps Red Devils to comeback win

    Bruno Fernandes produced a decisive double as Manchester United twice came from behind for a 4-2 win over Sheffield United at Old Trafford, easing the pressure on under-fire boss Erik ten Hag.

    Ten Hag received fierce criticism after his team surrendered a 3-0 lead in Sunday's FA Cup semi-final against Coventry City, who they beat on penalties after a 3-3 draw.

    His team trailed twice on Wednesday, with Jayden Bogle punishing Andre Onana's error to score and Ben Brereton Diaz prodding home the Blades' second, either side of Harry Maguire equalising.

    However, Fernandes equalised from the spot in the second half before teeing up Rasmus Hojliund's late finish after another great strike from the Red Devils captain sent his side 3-2 up.

    The win takes Ten Hag's side above Newcastle United and into the top six with 53 points, while bottom club Sheffield United stay 10 points adrift of safety.

    Just 28 seconds had been played when Diogo Dalot worked Wes Foderingham from range, but if the hosts thought that effort would precipitate an assault on the Blades' goal, they were mistaken.

    Alejandro Garnacho was denied by Foderingham after a mazy run, but the Red Devils were largely uninspired as the visitors sat back.

    They gifted Sheffield United the lead after 35 minutes as Onana passed straight to Bogle, who side-footed home at the near post.

    That sparked Ten Hag's team into life, though, and they were level within seven minutes as Maguire glanced Garnacho's cross home.

    Foderingham denied Garnacho with a fine stop on the stroke of half-time, and Sheffield United made that reprieve count within five minutes of the restart, Brereton Diaz pouncing to prod Ben Osborn's cross home.

    Yet Chris Wilder's visitors again failed to hold on as Auston Trusty wrestled Maguire to the ground from a corner, allowing Fernandes to blast into the top-left corner from the spot.

    Fernandes then blasted home from 25 yards out to send Ten Hag's hosts ahead for the first time, and the midfielder was not done there, teeing up Hojlund to make the points safe with a pinpoint cross from the right.

    Fernandes rescues Red Devils

    Ahead of Wednesday's game, Manchester United had only won one of their last seven Premier League matches (three draws, three defeats), going winless through the last four of those (three draws, one defeat) – their worst such streak since 2019.

    They twice looked on course for a humiliating defeat, but Fernandes led from the front to down the Blades and boost his team's hopes of salvaging Europa League qualification.

    He has now scored seven goals in his last six Premier League appearances, netting on each of his last four outings. This is just the second time he has enjoyed a four-match scoring streak with the Red Devils in the competition, having done so under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in February 2021.

    Blades on the brink

    While Sheffield United can take heart from their performance at Old Trafford, the result does nothing for their slim hopes of remaining among England's elite.

    Wilder's men are 10 points from safety with just 12 to play for this season and will be relegated to the Championship if they lose to Newcastle United on Saturday.

    The Blades could even see their fate confirmed this weekend with a victory, depending on Nottingham Forest's result against Manchester City on Sunday. 

    They have now conceded 92 goals in 34 Premier League matches this term, the most ever conceded in a 38-game season in the competition.

  • Xavi commits U-turn and elects to stay at Barcelona Xavi commits U-turn and elects to stay at Barcelona

    Barcelona head coach Xavi will continue in his role next season after an unexpected reversal of his decision to leave at the end of the 2023-24 campaign, according to widespread reports.

    The former Barcelona midfielder announced in January that he would walk away from the job at the end of the current season, even though his contract was due to run until the end of the following term.

    Xavi acknowledged the Barcelona role had taken its toll but reportedly changed his plans after a meeting with Blaugrana president Joan Laporta on Wednesday.

    The 44-year-old was initially appointed as Barca coach in 2021 before leading the LaLiga giants to the top-flight title in the 2022-23 campaign.

    Xavi's initial announcement of his intentions to depart Barcelona came after a tough period following defeats to Girona, Real Madrid and Athletic Club before revealing the news in the aftermath of a 5-3 loss to Villarreal.

    The Blaugrana turned their fortunes around after that decision became public, though, going 13 games unbeaten across all competitions.

    Unsurprisingly, that run encouraged Laporta, vice president Rafa Yuste and sporting director Deco to plead with Xavi to continue until the end of his agreed contract.

    Though that undefeated streak ended with a 4-1 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain that dumped Barcelona out of the Champions League quarter-finals, Xavi has now agreed to stay in his role.

    The league title is almost out of reach this term, however, as Real Madrid moved 11 points clear of second-placed Barca with Sunday's 3-2 Clasico victory.

  • Harry Maguire accepts big changes 'rightly' coming at Man Utd Harry Maguire accepts big changes 'rightly' coming at Man Utd

    Harry Maguire accepts there will be big changes at Manchester United at the end of the season, but he says everyone at the club must remain together amid fierce criticism of their displays.

    United have endured a miserable second season under Erik ten Hag, sitting seventh in the Premier League table and 16 points adrift of the top four ahead of Wednesday's visit of Sheffield United.

    They could yet end the campaign with silverware after reaching the FA Cup final with Sunday's penalty shoot-out victory over Coventry City, but they have been heavily criticised after narrowly avoiding a humiliating loss in that semi-final.

    Ten Hag's men squandered a 3-0 lead and were fortunate to avoid a 4-3 defeat in the dying moments of extra time, when Victor Torp's potential winner was disallowed for a marginal offside call.

    Roy Keane said United's players looked "embarrassed" to win the tie, though Ten Hag later said it was the negative media coverage of his team that was embarrassing.

    Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of Wednesday's meeting with his former club, Maguire said: "I've been at this club a long enough time to know that the noise around the place is always here, whether it's with the manager or the players.

    "There are players under huge amounts of pressure and when you lose matches or go on bad runs, the manager comes under pressure as well.

    "We all know it's about maintaining our focus and aims for the season and sticking together. We believe that we can still achieve things this season.

    "We've got an FA Cup final, Premier League games to fight in and we're all in this together. The manager, the players, the fans, we all want the same thing and that's to be successful."

    United's players celebrated Sunday's win in a muted fashion, with the exception of winger Antony, who has been roundly mocked for cupping his ears to taunt Coventry's players. 

    Reflecting on the end of that game, Maguire said: "It was a really strange mix of emotions. I don't think we needed to celebrate too hard. 

    "We let ourselves down in the last 20 minutes of normal time and to play for this club, it involves huge responsibility, and we didn't take responsibility in that last 20 minutes.

    "You're coming to training the next day and you're in another FA Cup final. It's what you dream of playing in when you're a young boy, so the boys are really happy.

    "But like I said, the way the game ended, we were disappointed with the way we acted."

    A decision on Ten Hag's future is one of many which must be made by new minority shareholder Jim Ratcliffe in the coming weeks, after the INEOS founder was handed full control of football operations at Old Trafford. 

    Maguire has faith in INEOS to get things right in the close season, saying: "They've brought a lot of positivity to the club and to the fanbase. I think there will be changes and rightly so.

    "The club is wanting to get back to where it was 15 years ago, and that's fighting for the big trophies and league titles. I'm sure they have a plan."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.