We have to own it – Scott McTominay urges Man Utd to atone for Galatasaray draw

By Sports Desk November 30, 2023

Scott McTominay says the whole team have to take responsibility for Manchester United’s bleak Champions League predicament after Andre Onana’s mistakes and a lack of killer instinct cost them at Galatasaray.

Having lost three of their opening four Group A matches, Erik ten Hag’s side managed to throwaway a two-goal second-half lead in Istanbul as a pulsating, helter-skelter clash ended 3-3.

Wednesday’s result leaves United bottom of the pool with only the home clash with already qualified Bayern Munich to come in a fortnight’s time.

Copenhagen’s draw in Germany later that day keeps the Red Devils’ faint chances of progressing alive, but they must win their final game and hope Copenhagen draw with Galatasaray.

“We have to wait and see,” McTominay told the PA news agency. “It’s not in our hands.

“We’ve put ourselves in that position and we have to own it and that’s football.

“We kept our cool really well, I felt like throughout large portions of the game.

“Obviously towards the end it gets a little bit like a basketball game where everyone’s up and down and some tired legs and stuff like that.

“We need to rest, recover and there’s is a big game coming up on Saturday, which we will be ready for as well.”

United have little time to recover from their draining night in Turkey as attention turns to Saturday evening’s Premier League trip to Newcastle.

All eyes are sure to be on goalkeeper Onana in the North East after the summer signing endured another chastening Champions League night for the Red Devils.

Guilty of gaffes away to Bayern and in the reverse fixture against Galatasaray, the Cameroon international was somehow beaten by two Hakim Ziyech free-kicks on Wednesday.

The second was particularly shocking and proved the catalyst to the hosts’ comeback but McTominay refused to blame him and acknowledged that outfield players should have put the game to bed.

“We’re so disappointed not to come away with more goals than three, to be honest,” said the midfielder, who had put United 3-1 up in the 55th minute.

“If you had said that to us before the evening started (we would score three) we would have been delighted with that, hopefully get another clean sheet.

“But football’s football. There’s mistakes and different things that can happen in the game and it’s partly our fault at the other end of the pitch for not killing the game as well.

“We had control and we were playing some good stuff.

“That’s football. It can happen and there’s no individuals in this team. We all want to be a collective and push each other forwards together.

“But, yeah, there’s another game on Saturday which we’re looking forward to and we’ll learn from this one for sure.”

McTominay added that “whatever happens at both ends of the pitch we need to stick together” as United look to shake off their challenging Champions League disappointment.

Newcastle have also been in midweek action away to Paris St Germain and St James’ Park is set to provide another hostile environment for Ten Hag’s team.

“There’s no intimidation in football,” McTominay added. “You’ve just got to go there and take it on its head on and go for it.

“That’s the way that this team wants to operate – we want to go and fight every challenge head on and that’s it.

“There’s no ducking and diving out of situations. We want to go and push ourselves and test ourselves against some really good teams as well.”

Related items

  • Rafael Leao ready to make his mark as AC Milan look to beat Roma Rafael Leao ready to make his mark as AC Milan look to beat Roma

    Rafael Leao is determined to silence his critics when AC Milan seek to overturn a 1-0 deficit in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final against Roma.

    Leao came in for criticism after last week’s first match, but showed a much better version of himself as Milan fought back from two goals down to take a 3-3 draw at relegation-battling Sassuolo on Sunday.

    The 24-year-old forward, who scored Milan’s first goal, recognises he needs to bring more consistency to his game.

    “I hope to help my team,” Leao told Milan TV.

    “If I don’t score a goal, I hope to play well and win. This is the most important thing, to move forward.

    “After the first leg, where I didn’t do very well, I was disappointed and with Sassuolo I wanted to give the right answer. If I make a mistake, I always try to come back even stronger, to learn from my mistakes.

    “I found the joy of doing well and helping my team-mates. I want to play better now. We know the comeback is possible. We have to start strong, try to score in the first few minutes and then play like a final.”

    Goalkeeper Mike Maignan is expected to return in goal after sitting out Sunday’s match as a precaution, but Simon Kjaer is a doubt after suffering a muscle injury in that match. Both he and fellow defender Pierre Kalulu missed training on Wednesday.

    Gianluca Mancini struck in the 17th minute as Roma took an impressive 1-0 victory at the San Siro last week, carrying on their good form since Daniele De Rossi replaced Jose Mourinho in the hotseat.

    The 2022 Europa Conference League champions came ever so close to making it back-to-back titles after they were defeated on penalties in last year’s Europa League showpiece and are 90 minutes away from another semi-final.

    But De Rossi knows AC Milan are far from beaten as they prepare for the second leg in Rome.

    As quoted on romapress.net, he said: “Milan? They will fight with everything they have. This is their last resort, they want to win and achieve one of their objectives for the season. It will be difficult.

    “There are characteristics of the opponent that must always be respected and you need to think about the opponent’s coach’s moves. The first leg with Milan was quite balanced, perhaps it went a little better for us. Milan won’t change their tactics too much, but we must not overthink our own gameplan.

    “We will prepare the match to win it, to try to score a goal which would be a blow for them even if it might not be decisive.

    “Milan are a very strong team, they are better than us, but in the first leg we showed that we are not that much inferior and I told my team that we can play for it. We are one step away from an important milestone such as a European semi-final.”

  • Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como

    Cesc Fabregas says Italian club Como must remain committed to their long-term plan even if their progress is expedited by winning promotion to Serie A this season.

    The former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder is assistant manager at the lakeside club and, working under Welshman Osian Roberts, has guided them into the automatic promotion positions in Serie B.

    They currently have a three-point lead over third-placed Venezia and if they do not falter in their final five games they will return to the top flight of Italian football for the first time since 2003.

    The club have been declared bankrupt twice since then, but the 2019 takeover by Indonesian company Djarum Group heralded a new dawn.

    They are owners with big ambitions and they sought out advice from people in the game, with Thierry Henry and Fabregas becoming minority shareholders, while former England international Dennis Wise has also acted in an advisory role.

    Fabregas is currently earning his full coaching badges and his goals are aligned with the club’s.

    Returning to the top tier of Italian football has always been the plan, with further ambitions of titles and European football in the coming years.

    But Fabregas insists that will only happen if they “respect the process”.

    “We are pushing, we have a clear vision of where we want to go, where we want to get, we know who we are,” he told the PA news agency.

    “We know where we are at the moment and we need to respect the process, take the right steps.

    “We are working well, people are very dedicated, the owners are investing well and smartly.

    “We are all on the same page, evolving every single week to try and create this family, this union, let’s see where we are at the season.”

    When Fabregas joined Como as a player in the summer of 2022, it could have been easy to think he was easing into retirement in an idyllic part of the world.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Cesc Fàbregas (@cescf4bregas)

     

    But that would not be fitting with his work ethic and drive, which sees him one day wanting to be a manager in his own right.

    “I agree that Como is beautiful but if I am being honest my life is work, home, work, home,” he said.

    “Then when I am home I try to be with my family. Even if I was at the end of the world or in another place my life would not change that much.

    “Como is beautiful, we appreciate it so much but my job and my life doesn’t change too much.”

  • Football rumours: Jadon Sancho open to Man Utd return if Erik ten Hag leaves Football rumours: Jadon Sancho open to Man Utd return if Erik ten Hag leaves

    What the papers say

    Jadon Sancho would be open to an attempt to relaunch his Manchester United career if manager Erik ten Hag leaves, The i reports.
    Sancho returned to former club Borussia Dortmund on loan in January.

    Liverpool are set to appoint David Woodfine as the assistant sporting director to work alongside Richard Hughes, with Woodfine returning to Anfield less than a year after leaving, according to the Liverpool Echo.

    The Sun writes that Manchester United will open talks with 18-year-old Kobbie Mainoo over a new contract.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Arthur Okonkwo: The Athletic reports that Wrexham want to turn the 22-year-old’s loan from Arsenal into a permanent deal.

    Dominic Calvert-Lewin: Football Insider says Everton are keen to extend the 27-year-old striker’s contract, which is due to run out at the end of next season.

    Federico Chiesa: Juventus will listen to offers for the Italian player, who has been linked with Liverpool and Newcastle, after disagreements between the 26-year-old forward and Massimiliano Allegri, reports Tuttosport.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.