Torres reveals Arsenal contact ahead of World Cup

By Sports Desk January 16, 2023

Arsenal contacted Orlando City regarding Facundo Torres ahead of the World Cup, the forward has revealed.

The 22-year-old has caught the eye in MLS since joining in January 2022, scoring nine goals and contributing eight assists in 33 appearances in his inaugural season.

A move to Europe has been touted for the Uruguay international ever since his days in his homeland with Penarol and Arsenal have been attributed with a long-term interest in his services.

The Gunners missed out on Mykhaylo Mudryk to London rivals Chelsea, who swooped in to beat the Premier League leaders in the hunt for the Ukraine winger, but remain in the market for additions to bolster their squad.

Torres has opened the door for a fresh approach, expressing his desire to play in the Premier League.

"Orlando City confirmed to me that there was contact with Arsenal, but then I left for the World Cup and I didn’t want to hear about a potential transfer at that point," he told 90Min.

"So, the conversation stayed there but now that I am back with the team, we will see where the conversation goes.

"I would love to play in Europe. It's a dream I've had since I was a kid. At the moment I am focused on Orlando City.

"But La Liga or Premier League would be my targets, and that's where the rumours are coming from. But yeah, I would absolutely love that."

Related items

  • George Elokobi believes FA Cup run has brought Maidstone into global focus George Elokobi believes FA Cup run has brought Maidstone into global focus

    George Elokobi believes Maidstone’s FA Cup adventure has catapulted them onto the global stage.

    The Stones are the first team outside of the top five divisions to reach the fifth round since Blyth Spartans in 1978.

    Their run, including the memorable 2-1 win at Ipswich last month, has captured the imagination from Kent to Cameroon and beyond.

    They face a trip to another Sky Bet Championship side, Coventry, on Monday night bidding to become the first sixth-tier team to reach the quarter-finals.

    “It’s an incredible achievement, not just for ourselves but for the community, Maidstone United, and our fanbase,” said Cameroon-born boss Elokobi.

    “But we have also gained so much admiration globally, how we have gone about our FA Cup run, how we’ve approached it as a football club.

    “Now we have kids coming up to us saying ‘we want to emulate what you have done’.

    “It’s historic and a lot of the people around the city and elsewhere who aren’t even connected with Maidstone, they’ve told me their new team is Maidstone United. That shows you what the players have done.

    “It’s a huge moment for myself. It’s a huge moment for my community back in Cameroon. It’s a huge moment for our football club. For Africa as well. It’s huge.

    “The FA Cup is regarded as one of the best competitions in the world and for Maidstone to be in the fifth round, against a Championship side in Coventry, a club full of history, it’s an inspirational moment for myself and I’m ever so proud to be the leader of the club.”

    Even if they do not pull off another shock against the Sky Blues, Maidstone will still have won more matches in the competition than the eventual winners.

    Their journey began with victory at Steyning in September in the second qualifying round before beating Winchester City, Torquay, Chesham, Barrow and Stevenage before their Portman Road heroics set up a meeting with the 1987 FA Cup winners.

    “It’s a day with for no pressure for us,” added Elokobi. “We are Maidstone United Football Club. There shouldn’t be any pressure on us.

    “We will go and enjoy the occasion. It’s a historic day for our football club.”

  • Mauricio Pochettino is ‘waking up’ winning mentality at Chelsea – Malo Gusto Mauricio Pochettino is ‘waking up’ winning mentality at Chelsea – Malo Gusto

    Malo Gusto believes Mauricio Pochettino is “waking up” a winning mentality in Chelsea’s young squad as they prepare for Sunday’s Carabao Cup final.

    The Argentinian’s resurgent team face Liverpool at Wembley looking to claim the club’s first silverware since co-owner Todd Boehly took over in May 2022.

    In that time there has been an almost total overhaul of personnel both on the pitch and behind the scenes, with over £1billion spent on assembling a team with the youngest average age in the Premier League.

    After a slow start there was been notable improvement in recent weeks, culminating in a fine performance in ending champions Manchester City’s winning run at home with a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

    However, Pochettino and his players are yet to convince everyone. The team were booed off by fans following their last home game, a 4-2 defeat to Wolves at Stamford Bridge, with supporters’ frustrations also being directed at the manager personally.

    Sunday’s final could be a key indicator as to whether a corner has truly been turned following the City draw and impressive wins away at Aston Villa and Crystal Palace.

    And defender Gusto – a key figure during the recent upturn in results, deputising at right-back for injured captain and England international Reece James – praised his manager for working to instil a winning attitude.

    “He (Pochettino) is here for this,” said the 20-year-old. “He knows he has to wake up our mentality, to wake up our desire to win everything. We are Chelsea and a big club like Chelsea has to win everything, to keep fighting.

    “He helps us a lot. He has tried to show us the desire to win, to keep fighting against every team. He talks to us a lot about tactics, technique and everything.

    “He is a good person as well. He tries to help us a lot on the pitch and off it as well. He is a good coach for this young team.”

    Gusto has been one of the outstanding performers of Chelsea’s recent recruits.

    Signed from Lyon for £30.7million in January 2023, he was loaned back to the Ligue 1 side for remainder of last season before making his mark during the current campaign.

    He has made 24 appearances in all competitions, after a recurring hamstring injury limited James to just nine.

    A forward player in his youth, he has evolved into an effective attacking full-back and he has made four assists in the league, most recently setting up Conor Gallagher’s equaliser in the 3-1 win at Palace with a pinpoint low cross.

    He made his senior debut for France as a substitute in a 2-1 win against the Netherlands in October.

    He said he was not daunted by the prospect of dislodging James from the team before signing for Chelsea, adding: “I wasn’t thinking about what could happen. I just wanted to take my chance.

    “If I can play, I play. I’ve stayed focus on my football. I work every day to become better, to improve. That’s what I do.

    “We are not similar, (James) and me. He’s a bit different, but when we are on the pitch we try to keep a mentality to score and to assist.

    “I work for (getting better going forward). I have good cardio, good legs. This is my football. When I was younger, I was the same, running every day. When your team-mates see you run a lot, you want to run a lot with them.”

    The defender came in for particular praise for the way he dealt defensively with City’s Jeremy Doku during Saturday’s draw at the Etihad Stadium.

    “I came to Chelsea because I wanted to play against great players. I think the game was complicated, but it was good for me to learn.

    “(The praise) is nice, but I don’t really care about it, I just want to to become a better person and better player.

    “The game against Doku, people talk about it, but it’s just one game. Maybe this weekend I could be s*** and the game after I could be better.”

  • Sean Dyche urges Everton team-mates to ease pressure on Dominic Calvert-Lewin Sean Dyche urges Everton team-mates to ease pressure on Dominic Calvert-Lewin

    Sean Dyche accepts pressure will continue to grow on Dominic Calvert-Lewin the longer his barren run continues.

    But the Everton manager has reminded the rest of his goal-shy side it is not just the principle striker who needs to find the net.

    Calvert-Lewin has not scored for the relegation-threatened Toffees in 19 appearances stretching back to October.

    However, he is not the only Everton player struggling in front of goal with the team having struck just 27 times in 25 Premier League games this season. Only bottom two Burnley and Sheffield United have worse records.

    “I think he knows where he’s at,” said Dyche of Calvert-Lewin. “There’s enough noise in football now.

    “Do you think he’s thinking there’s no noise about him not scoring? I’m pretty sure he knows that.

    “Whether fair or not, that’s strikers, isn’t it? That’s being a striker, that’s the reality of the role.

    “But all strikers, I’m sure, want the adulation of being a striker and scoring goals.

    “That’s part of the fuel that you’d have as a striker, that amazing feeling when you do score, especially at Goodison, because the crowd generally erupt.

    “So I think they know the responsibility. That’s part of their role.

    “Having said that, of course, it’s not just strikers’ responsibility to score goals.

    “We want them to work, we want them to defend, we want them to do the hard yards for the team. So therefore we’ve got to pay that back with other people scoring.”

    Conversely, in a difficult season, Dyche can take positives from his side’s strong defensive record.

    Everton have conceded just 33 goals this term, a figure equalled or bettered only by the current top four.

    Dyche said: “I’m pleased with that side of things and that’s the whole team. A lot is made about individuals in the back unit but I think we ask the players to defend from the front and I think they’re getting better at that.

    “The tactical shape and understanding the side, I think has improved and then finding that balance for scoring goals – we know that’s the biggest part of the challenge – transitioning the chances we’re making into actual finishes and actual goals. That’s obviously still a work in progress.”

    Everton, who clawed themselves out of the relegation zone on goal difference with a 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace on Monday, travel to seventh-placed Brighton on Saturday.

    Everton claimed an impressive 5-1 win at the Amex Stadium as they battled against the drop last May.

    Dyche said: “That was probably a hiccup in their season at that time. We made that happen, though, don’t get me wrong.

    “It wasn’t because they weren’t playing well or they weren’t a good side, because they are a good side.

    “They’ve shown again they’re a good outfit and the home record has been very good for a number of seasons.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.