Le Graet steps away from FFF presidency amid government investigation

By Sports Desk January 11, 2023

Noel Le Graet has stepped back from his role as French Football Federation (FFF) president amid a government investigation into the organisation.

Le Graet has been in position since 2011 but has come under increasing pressure to quit.

The French sports minister Amelie Oudea-Castera has called for change at the top of the FFF, while leading agent Sonia Souid accused Le Graet of improper conduct.

In an RMC interview, Souid outlined how her belief was that in their dealings from 2013 to 2017, Le Graet saw her as an object of his sexual desire. Le Graet and the FFF did not immediately respond to Souid's allegations.

The 81-year-old has also been accused of improper conduct in relation to female employees. The FFF filed a defamation suit against So Foot magazine, the publication in which these allegations were made.

The French government opened an investigation into the matter in September, but Le Graet caused further controversy week with his bizarre comments about Zinedine Zidane in the wake of confirming Didier Deschamps' new contract as France coach.

Kylian Mbappe was among those to criticise Le Graet, who said he would not "give a toss" if Zidane called about the possibility of taking over Les Bleus.

Le Graet has since apologised but on Wednesday reports emerged that he had been suspended as president.

The FFF subsequently confirmed Le Graet had "chosen to withdraw from his duties as president" until the government investigation had been concluded.

Florence Hardouin, the FFF's general manager, has also stepped down in what a statement called a "precautionary measure".

Philippe Diallo, who was serving as deputy vice president, will fill both roles on an interim basis.

Related items

  • Marco Silva hails ‘quality’ of Chelsea duo Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez Marco Silva hails ‘quality’ of Chelsea duo Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez

    Fulham boss Marco Silva talked up “quality” Chelsea midfield pair Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez ahead of the west London derby at Craven Cottage.

    Chelsea broke the British transfer record twice this year, signing Fernandez from Benfica for a reported £106.8million in January before beating Liverpool to confirm the transfer of Caicedo from Brighton for £115m in August.

    Silva spoke on how the pair’s price-tags reflect their ability and expects them to bring the fight to Harrison Reed and Joao Palhinha on Monday.

    “Enzo joined in January and Caicedo in the summer as well,” Silva said. “They’re quality. We are talking about two players they almost spent £250 million on.

    “This speaks about the quality and about how much they wanted them in their squad.

    “Plus (Conor) Gallagher in the midfield, they have the quality, the energy, they have the organisation to create a very good fight with our midfield line and I think it will be a very good fight because they have that quality.”

    Alex Iwobi’s second-half strike during Wednesday’s Carabao Cup third round 2-1 victory over Norwich was his first Fulham goal since his reported £22million move from Everton on deadline day.

    Silva, who also signed Iwobi as Everton manager in 2019, spoke on the Nigeria international’s versatility and what he offers to his squad.

    “It was very good (Iwobi’s performance against Norwich),” Silva added.

    “He’s a player I know really well, he knows the Premier League so well and he’s mature. He has the quality, can play in many different positions and is a player that will give us the quality that we need in certain parts of the game.

    “He provides that extra energy as well. It was good for him to score on his first game in a Fulham shirt and I want to see more of him.

    “He’s going to be a really important player for us and I am pleased for him for starting his first game.”

    From Chelsea’s starting XI during their 2-1 loss at Fulham in January, Thiago Silva and Trevoh Chalobah are the only remaining players at the club.

    Silva said: “They are different and we are different as well. I think the game is going to be completely different. We can have a look for some things, but it will be different. They have a different manager.”

  • Sheffield Wednesday hit a new low as Sunderland ease to victory at Hillsborough Sheffield Wednesday hit a new low as Sunderland ease to victory at Hillsborough

    Sheffield Wednesday have now made the joint-worst start after nine games in Championship history after Sunderland beat them 3-0 at Hillsborough on Friday night.

    A Dan Ballard header and two Jack Clarke goals, one a penalty, had the Black Cats in cruise control before half-time.

    Wednesday are a club in disarray off the field, with chairman Dejphon Chansiri releasing a statement earlier in the day stating he would be putting no additional money into the club.

    Owls boss Xisco Munoz made two changes to the team that lost 3-0 at Swansea, with George Byers and Callum Paterson joining the starting XI.

    Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray made just the one switch after the 1-0 defeat at home to Cardiff, with Patrick Roberts coming in for Abdoullah Ba.

    The first two chances of the game brought goals for the away side.

    First, Ballard rose highest to meet Alex Pritchard’s corner after five minutes and just three minutes later Sunderland doubled their advantage when Clarke drove towards goal from the left and arrowed a beauty into the bottom corner.

    On-loan Wednesday man John Buckley had a go from outside the box but his effort was put past the post by goalkeeper Anthony Patterson, then Anthony Musaba chanced his arm moments later but saw his curling attempt fly over the bar.

    The third goal came in the 31st minute after Bambo Diaby brought down Mason Burstow in the box. Clarke stepped up to send Devis Vasquez the wrong way – it was the Championship top scorer’s second of the night and seventh of the season, six of them coming away from the Stadium of Light.

    Home fans who had not already headed for the exits chanted for both manager and chairman to leave the club.

    In the second half, Pol Valentin made a mazy run down the right-hand side and his cross found Paterson, who saw his shot saved by keeper Patterson.

    Jobe Bellingham nearly made it four but his effort from distance went just wide.

    Despite bringing on forwards Ashley Fletcher and Djeidi Gassama in the closing stages, Sunderland comfortably dealt with the majority of Wednesday’s attacks for the remainder of the game, having done the damage in the first 30 minutes.

    The result lifts the Wearsiders to fourth ahead of Saturday’s fixtures, while Wednesday remain bottom, with just two points from their opening nine games.

  • Five-star Hamilton too hot for Annan Five-star Hamilton too hot for Annan

    Hamilton thumped Annan 5-0 to continue their push for an immediate return to the Scottish Championship.

    Accies have now won seven of their eight League One matches and needed only two minutes to make the breakthrough here, Jamie Barjonas running on from midfield and firing in a shot from the edge of the box.

    It took until three minutes into the second half for Hamilton to score their second, Reghan Tumilty netting from a corner, and 10 minutes later Euan Henderson smashed in a third.

    It was all too easy for the hosts, and they scored twice more through Connor Murray and Joe McGlynn, while Michael Hewitt was denied a sixth by the post.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.