France record-breaker and World Cup-winning captain Lloris quits international football

By Sports Desk January 09, 2023

Hugo Lloris has retired from international football after leading France to a second consecutive World Cup final.

Goalkeeper Lloris is Les Bleus' most-capped player and has captained the team since 2012.

The Tottenham man skippered his country at six major tournaments, including three World Cups.

Lloris was the man between the posts as France won their second world title in 2018, having lost in the final of their home Euro 2016 two years earlier.

With Lloris still in goal, France returned to the World Cup final at Qatar 2022, only to lose on penalties to Argentina.

Having taken time to announce a decision following that defeat, Lloris confirmed his retirement in an interview with L'Equipe on Monday.

"There comes a time when you have to know how to hand over," he said, before referencing deputy Mike Maignan.

"I don't want to own [the position]. I've always said and repeated that the France team doesn't belong to anyone, and we all have to make sure that this is the case, me first.

"I think that there remains a team ready to continue, and there is also a goalkeeper who is ready."

Maignan appeared set to push Lloris for the number one shirt in Qatar, only to join a long list of France stars who missed the tournament through injury.

Lloris kept only a single clean sheet at the finals, although that came in the semi-final against Morocco.

He retires with eight World Cup clean sheets, behind only countryman Fabien Barthez and Peter Shilton (both 10) since 1966.

"I'd rather go out at the top than wait for a decline or [face] too much competition," Lloris added. "There is also a family choice;I feel the need to spend more time with my wife and children."

Related items

  • Marc Skinner hopes Jim Ratcliffe investment helps Man Utd women’s team thrive Marc Skinner hopes Jim Ratcliffe investment helps Man Utd women’s team thrive

    Marc Skinner hopes Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s investment in Manchester United provides a “springboard” for success for the women’s team.

    Ratcliffe last week completed a deal to purchase a 27.7 per cent stake in United that sees his Ineos company take control of football operations at the club.

    United’s women’s side, relaunched in 2018 and managed by Skinner since 2021, achieved best finishes of runners-up in the Women’s Super League and FA Cup last term. They currently sit fourth in the WSL, 10 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.

    Skinner told a press conference on Friday: “We (he and Ratcliffe) have not managed to meet yet, I know it’s on the horizon very soon.

    “But we have our constant kind of feed through our bosses anyway in terms of kind of how we want to go forwards, what’s going to work and there’s a lot to do.

    “I see it as a real positive move. I think if you know me as a character, my energy is full in, I’m all in so with my energy, coupled with the fantastic movement of the Ineos investment, I think it’s a real positive moment.

    “We have to capitalise on that, we’re going to try to do that, we’re going to put all our behaviours in place for that. It’s hopefully a springboard for everybody to find the success that everybody wants for Man United.”

    Ratcliffe has spoken about the possibility of the club building a new stadium, with Old Trafford becoming the regular home for the women’s and academy teams.

    Asked about that, Skinner said: “I’m sure that’s a little bit away.

    “We love playing at Leigh Sports Village, it’s become a fortress but obviously it’s a special occasion when you play at Old Trafford.

    “We’re excited about any of the plans that come. It feels like a real positive movement. Whatever the plans may be, we have to continue to align our positive energy towards that movement. That’s our aim.

    “If it comes down the line and that’s what happens, then I’m sure there will be some fantastic games at the stadium.”

    Skinner was speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s WSL trip to West Ham.

  • Eric Dier triggers option to make his move to Bayern Munich permanent in summer Eric Dier triggers option to make his move to Bayern Munich permanent in summer

    Eric Dier has triggered an option to make his move to Bayern Munich permanent this summer, the PA news agency understands.

    Tottenham defender Dier joined Bayern in January on an initial loan deal until the end of the season for a fee in the region of 4million euros.

    With Dier’s Spurs contract set to expire on June 30, an option to make his transfer to the Bundesliga champions permanent if he made a certain number of appearances was included in the deal.

    Dier has played six times for Thomas Tuchel’s team, which includes four starts, and has now triggered a new 12-month contract to keep him at Bayern until the summer of 2025.

    It will officially bring to an end Dier’s time at Tottenham, where he made 365 appearances during a nine-and-a-half-year spell with the Premier League club before he followed England team-mate Harry Kane to Munich.

  • Football rumours: Luis Diaz could be allowed to leave Liverpool Football rumours: Luis Diaz could be allowed to leave Liverpool
    What the papers say

    The future of Luis Diaz at Liverpool is dependent on whether Mohamed Salah agrees a new deal. The Sun reports the club would listen to offers for the Colombia forward, 27, if Salah, 31, agrees a fresh deal.

    Arsenal are looking to begin talks with Italy midfielder Jorginho, 32, over a new contract, reports the Evening Standard. He has been linked with a return to Serie A.

    Conor Gallagher is continuing to catch the eye of Tottenham. The Daily Mail says the club are ready to move for the England midfielder, 24, in the summer.

    Getafe are keen to talk with Manchester United about a deal for Mason Greenwood. The Times reports the Spanish club are interested in another loan deal or a permanent move for the forward, 22.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Trevoh Chalobah: The English defender, 24, is disappointed Chelsea are willing to sell him in the summer, according to Teamtalk.

    Raoul Bellanova: Manchester United and Aston Villa have watch Torino’s Italian right-back, 23, reports Italian outfit Tuttosport.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.