United States coach Berhalter admits to 1991 altercation with wife amid investigation

By Sports Desk January 03, 2023

"U.S. Soccer is investigating the United States Men's National Team coach Gregg Berhalter, who has admitted kicking his wife during an argument over 30 years ago.

Berhalter on Tuesday confirmed that in December an individual had contacted U.S. Soccer.

The federation announced that it has launched an investigation into the incident.

In a statement posted on his official Twitter account, Berhalter said: "During the World Cup, an individual contacted U.S. Soccer, saying that they had information about me that would 'take me down' – an apparent effort to leverage something very personal from long ago to bring about the end of my relationship with U.S. Soccer.

"In the fall of 1991, I met my soulmate. We had been dating for four months when an incident happened between us that would shape the future of our relationship.

"One night, when out drinking at a local bar, Rosalind and I had a heated argument that continued outside. It became physical and I kicked her in the legs.

"There are zero excuses for my actions that night; it was a shameful moment and one that I regret to this day. At the time, I immediately apologized to Rosalind, but understandably she wanted nothing to do with me.

"I told my parents, family and friends what had happened because I wanted to take full responsibility for my behaviour. Rosalind also informed her parents, family and friends.

"While the authorities were never involved in this matter, I voluntarily sought out counselling to help learn, grow and improve – one of the most valuable decisions that I ever made. To this day, that type of behaviour has never been repeated."

Berhalter said "the lessons learned from that night over three decades ago became the foundation for a loving, devoted and supportive relationship" while explaining he and his wife, who co-signed the statement, were cooperating fully with U.S. Soccer's investigation.

U.S. Soccer's statement read: "Upon learning of the allegation against U.S. Men's National Team head coach Gregg Berhalter on December 11, 2022, U.S. Soccer immediately hired Alston & Bird LP to conduct an independent investigation into the matter.

"The investigation is being led by Jenny Kramer, Bay Pak and Chris Marquardt of Alston & Bird LLP and remains ongoing.

"Through this process, U.S. Soccer has learned about potential inappropriate behavior towards multiple members of our staff by individuals outside of our organisation. We take such behavior seriously and have expanded our investigation to include those allegations.

"We appreciate Gregg and Rosalind coming forward to speak openly about this incident. Consistent with our commitment to transparency, we will share the results of the investigation publicly when it is complete.

"U.S. Soccer condemns violence of any kind and takes such allegations very seriously."

Berhalter has not yet been confirmed as carrying on his role, with U.S. Soccer set to announce a decision in the coming days.

The USA were knocked out by the Netherlands in the last 16 of the Qatar World Cup.

Related items

  • 'It hurts to see my players cry' - Italiano rues Fiorentina's Europa Conference League final heartbreak 'It hurts to see my players cry' - Italiano rues Fiorentina's Europa Conference League final heartbreak

    Vincenzo Italiano says Fiorentina "really believed we could have a different ending", after La Viola suffered Europa Conference League final heartbreak for the second year running.

    Italiano's side were beaten by West Ham in last year's showpiece, with Jarrod Bowen snatching a last-gasp winner in Prague.

    Fiorentina suffered a similar fate 12 months later, as Ayoub El Kaabi struck four minutes before the end of extra time to give Olympiacos their first title in a major European competition.

    La Viola embarked on a club record 13-match unbeaten run to reach their second successive Europa Conference League final.

    But Italiano, who will depart the club at the end of the season, admitted it counted for nothing, with his side once again left to wonder what might have been.

    "We really believed this time. It hurts," he told Sky Sports Italia. "It's disappointing for the second time.

    "It's disappointing because again we had many situations to score goals, but the players did everything they could. It hurts to see my players cry. We really believed this time we could have a different epilogue to this campaign.

    "Losing hurts; going all the way for two years running is something good, but naturally you have to lift a trophy, and we didn't manage it.

    "The journey feels ruined when you have to watch the others lift the silverware. At this moment, I feel too bitter, disappointed, let down, because I really believed we could have a different ending."

  • 'It is an honour' - Mendilibar revels in Olympiacos' historic Europa Conference League triumph 'It is an honour' - Mendilibar revels in Olympiacos' historic Europa Conference League triumph

    Jose Luis Mendilibar rejoiced "it is an honour to have made the fans happy" after leading Olympiacos to their historic Europa Conference League final triumph over Fiorentina.

    Thrylos became the first Greek side to win a major European competition, as Ayoub El Kaabi's extra-time winner snatched a dramatic 1-0 victory at AEK Arena.

    It provided a happy ending to an eventful season for Olympiacos, with Mendilibar their third different manager of the campaign having replaced Carlos Carvahal in February.

    Following his Europa League success with Sevilla 12 months ago, the Spaniard became the first coach since Rafael Benitez (2003-04 UEFA Cup with Valencia; 2004-05 Champions League with Liverpool) to win major European competitions in consecutive seasons with different clubs.

    "I am very happy and satisfied, and it is an honour to have made the fans happy," Mendilibar said. 

    "I am very happy that we achieved something that the club had not achieved before. We will celebrate, we will cheer, and then we will get back to work for what comes next."

    Olympiacos winger Giorgos Masouras added: "I have no words. It has not yet sunk in. We did it together. I was certain we would win it, and we held on and got it in the end.

    "We are now part of Europe's elite and have more responsibilities. We have to maintain this level now."

  • Bayern Munich confirm shock appointment of Kompany Bayern Munich confirm shock appointment of Kompany

    Bayern Munich have confirmed the appointment of Vincent Kompany as their new head coach.

    Kompany has joined Bayern on a three-year deal, and comes in as Thomas Tuchel's replacement.

    The former Manchester City captain, who began his coaching career in Belgium with Anderlecht, could not keep Burnley in the Premier League in 2023-24.

    Indeed, the Clarets were relegated following a 2-1 defeat to Nottingham Forest at Turf Moor in their penultimate match of the season.

    Yet, less than two weeks after the campaign's conclusion, Kompany has been installed as boss of one of Europe's biggest clubs. 

    The 38-year-old joins Bayern after Tuchel confirmed talks over potentially reversing the decision for him and the club to part ways, which came in February, had ended.

    Bayern lost their last game of the Bundesliga season to finish in third place, having failed to win any of the four trophies they were in contention for, seeing their dominance of Germany's top tier ended by Xabi Alonso's unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen team.

    Alonso had been Bayern's primary target, but their former midfielder has elected to stay at Leverkusen for next season.

    Bayern were also linked with Roberto De Zerbi, who has just left Brighton, and Brentford coach Thomas Frank, while they were turned down by Austria coach Ralf Rangnick. Mauricio Pochettino, who left Chelsea on Monday, was also rumoured as a potential option.

    Kompany, then, is a surprise pick, but Bayern will be hoping he rediscovers the magic touch he had during his first season at Turf Moor in 2022-23, when he guided the Clarets to promotion from the Championship, earning 101 points in the process.

    However, Kompany's possession-based, front-foot approach was badly exposed in the Premier League, with Burnley winning just five games on their way to taking 24 points as they finished 19th, going back down alongside Luton Town and Sheffield United.

    He leaves Burnley having managed 96 games, winning 41 (42.7 per cent) of those matches.

    In a statement, Burnley said they were "initially confident" of keeping Kompany at the club, but claimed "the changing dynamics of the situation made this impossible". 

    "We understand the allure and prestige of a club like Bayern Munich and respect Vincent's ambition to explore new opportunities," the statement continued. 

    "We wish only the best for Vincent and would like to put on record our appreciation for his dedication every single day he was a part of this football club. 

    "Our priority remains the stability and success of Burnley, and we will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure that our ambition is realised, namely our return to the Premier League."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.