Pele dies: Mbappe leads tributes to 'king of football'

By Sports Desk December 29, 2022

Kylian Mbappe has led tributes to Pele from a plethora of football stars past and present following his death on Thursday, with the France forward saluting the late Brazil forward and a legacy that "will never be forgotten".

The three-time World Cup winner passed away aged 82 following a battle with colon cancer, sending the football and wider sporting world into mourning.

Pele, a 77-goal Selecao star who remains one of the game's all-time greats, was the only teenager to score in a World Cup final until Mbappe did so at Russia 2018 four years ago.

Now, the 23-year-old has paid his respects to the 'king of football', highlighting his achievements as having helped to define the sport.

"The king of football has left us, but his legacy will never be forgotten," Mbappe wrote on Twitter.

Mbappe's PSG team-mate and Spain international Sergio Ramos also offered his tribute, adding: "To say he was a legend is an understatement. Football will always remember you."

Barcelona and Poland forward Robert Lewandowski said "heaven has a new star" in his post reflecting upon Pele's legacy, a sentiment shared by former Germany international Mesut Ozil.

Manchester City striker Erling Haaland argued that "everything you see any player [do], Pele did it first", while Wales forward Gareth Bale suggested the Brazilian was "the reason so many of us love football".

Former England international and 1986 World Cup Golden Boot winner Gary Lineker called him "the most divine of footballers and joyous of men", adding that Pele has secured "footballing immortality".

Related items

  • Rafael Leao ready to make his mark as AC Milan look to beat Roma Rafael Leao ready to make his mark as AC Milan look to beat Roma

    Rafael Leao is determined to silence his critics when AC Milan seek to overturn a 1-0 deficit in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final against Roma.

    Leao came in for criticism after last week’s first match, but showed a much better version of himself as Milan fought back from two goals down to take a 3-3 draw at relegation-battling Sassuolo on Sunday.

    The 24-year-old forward, who scored Milan’s first goal, recognises he needs to bring more consistency to his game.

    “I hope to help my team,” Leao told Milan TV.

    “If I don’t score a goal, I hope to play well and win. This is the most important thing, to move forward.

    “After the first leg, where I didn’t do very well, I was disappointed and with Sassuolo I wanted to give the right answer. If I make a mistake, I always try to come back even stronger, to learn from my mistakes.

    “I found the joy of doing well and helping my team-mates. I want to play better now. We know the comeback is possible. We have to start strong, try to score in the first few minutes and then play like a final.”

    Goalkeeper Mike Maignan is expected to return in goal after sitting out Sunday’s match as a precaution, but Simon Kjaer is a doubt after suffering a muscle injury in that match. Both he and fellow defender Pierre Kalulu missed training on Wednesday.

    Gianluca Mancini struck in the 17th minute as Roma took an impressive 1-0 victory at the San Siro last week, carrying on their good form since Daniele De Rossi replaced Jose Mourinho in the hotseat.

    The 2022 Europa Conference League champions came ever so close to making it back-to-back titles after they were defeated on penalties in last year’s Europa League showpiece and are 90 minutes away from another semi-final.

    But De Rossi knows AC Milan are far from beaten as they prepare for the second leg in Rome.

    As quoted on romapress.net, he said: “Milan? They will fight with everything they have. This is their last resort, they want to win and achieve one of their objectives for the season. It will be difficult.

    “There are characteristics of the opponent that must always be respected and you need to think about the opponent’s coach’s moves. The first leg with Milan was quite balanced, perhaps it went a little better for us. Milan won’t change their tactics too much, but we must not overthink our own gameplan.

    “We will prepare the match to win it, to try to score a goal which would be a blow for them even if it might not be decisive.

    “Milan are a very strong team, they are better than us, but in the first leg we showed that we are not that much inferior and I told my team that we can play for it. We are one step away from an important milestone such as a European semi-final.”

  • Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como

    Cesc Fabregas says Italian club Como must remain committed to their long-term plan even if their progress is expedited by winning promotion to Serie A this season.

    The former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder is assistant manager at the lakeside club and, working under Welshman Osian Roberts, has guided them into the automatic promotion positions in Serie B.

    They currently have a three-point lead over third-placed Venezia and if they do not falter in their final five games they will return to the top flight of Italian football for the first time since 2003.

    The club have been declared bankrupt twice since then, but the 2019 takeover by Indonesian company Djarum Group heralded a new dawn.

    They are owners with big ambitions and they sought out advice from people in the game, with Thierry Henry and Fabregas becoming minority shareholders, while former England international Dennis Wise has also acted in an advisory role.

    Fabregas is currently earning his full coaching badges and his goals are aligned with the club’s.

    Returning to the top tier of Italian football has always been the plan, with further ambitions of titles and European football in the coming years.

    But Fabregas insists that will only happen if they “respect the process”.

    “We are pushing, we have a clear vision of where we want to go, where we want to get, we know who we are,” he told the PA news agency.

    “We know where we are at the moment and we need to respect the process, take the right steps.

    “We are working well, people are very dedicated, the owners are investing well and smartly.

    “We are all on the same page, evolving every single week to try and create this family, this union, let’s see where we are at the season.”

    When Fabregas joined Como as a player in the summer of 2022, it could have been easy to think he was easing into retirement in an idyllic part of the world.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Cesc Fàbregas (@cescf4bregas)

     

    But that would not be fitting with his work ethic and drive, which sees him one day wanting to be a manager in his own right.

    “I agree that Como is beautiful but if I am being honest my life is work, home, work, home,” he said.

    “Then when I am home I try to be with my family. Even if I was at the end of the world or in another place my life would not change that much.

    “Como is beautiful, we appreciate it so much but my job and my life doesn’t change too much.”

  • Pete Wild fumes at ‘outrageous’ penalty as Barrow held by Crawley Pete Wild fumes at ‘outrageous’ penalty as Barrow held by Crawley

    Furious Barrow manager Pete Wild criticised the award of Crawley’s penalty in his side’s 1-1 draw at the Broadfield Stadium as an “outrageous, ludicrous decision”.

    Striker Emile Acquah headed Barrow into the lead shortly before the interval but Danilo Orsi’s 20th goal of the season from the spot midway through the second half dragged Crawley level and kept them in the play-off places along with their opponents.

    Wild severely criticised referee Sam Purkiss for “taking 20 seconds” to make the penalty decision for a handball by Rory Feeley, and he answered in the affirmative when asked if he thought the linesman had made the decision because the referee had not seen it.

    Said Wild: “We were outstanding, especially with what we’ve gone through (losing three games in a row).

    “It was a classic Barrow performance, solid at the back and threatening on the counter-attack.

    “That was very pleasing but then it’s all ruined by an outrageous, ludicrous decision that was made without any thought.

    “It’s ruined it for us after scoring a great goal.”

    Wild was mystified why referee Purkiss took the time he did in deciding to give a penalty, and added: “It took 20 seconds to make that decision, why was that?

    “There were two more crosses going into the box in that time before the decision was made.”

    Crawley’s point came after two successive defeats and boss Scott Lindsey felt his men did everything they could to try and force victory.

    He said: “We did everything possible to try and win a game of football.

    “We were up against a strong, defensive unit in Barrow and if we perform like that in our last two games we’ll be fine.”

    Seventh-placed Crawley hold a one-point advantage over Walsall and Lindsey believes his side are the “calmest” team in the play-off places owing to them being written off as “relegation fodder” at the start of the season.

    He said: “We are the calmest because we are not supposed to be there. It is still in our hands and we are not worrying about other teams.”

    Lindsey admitted he was “angry” about the booking of midfielder Jay Williams as he claimed Purkiss “booked the wrong player” and Williams will now miss the last two games.

    The former Swindon boss said: “I’m angry about that as Jay has done so well for me.

    “Jeremy Kelly made the foul but Jay won the tackle and yet he was booked. It’s the wrong decision, it’s not fair and should be looked at.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.