Manchester United offered 'twice as much' as rivals for Bellingham, reveals former Birmingham City chief

By Sports Desk December 29, 2022

Manchester United offered double the nearest offer for Jude Bellingham when he was at Birmingham City, only to still miss out on the midfielder.

The teenager left the West Midlands outfit to join Borussia Dortmund in 2020, and has enjoyed a meteoric rise since, earning both the captaincy of the Bundesliga club and full England honours.

After a series of strong World Cup performances, Bellingham is now tipped to head to a major European rival next year, with Liverpool and Real Madrid both linked with his signature.

But former Birmingham chief Xuandong Ren has revealed United previously made an aggressive pursuit of the 19-year-old when he was in the English lower leagues, ultimately coming up short with a package to persuade their target.

"[Former managing director] Ed Woodward was the one who was most insistent," he told Mundo Deportivo. "We sat down and talked about how we could convince Bellingham.

"Manchester United offered twice as much as the rest of the clubs [chasing him]. They even brought him together with [former manager Alex] Ferguson, [Eric] Cantona and [Ole Gunnar] Solskjaer.

"But Jude did not make any decision based on money. They were offering much more salary compared to the rest, maybe double. He was going to be guaranteed millions in the bank and he didn't take it.

"That's not normal for a player. It was a difficult position, because I wanted to respect his decision. Our promise was that we would let him make the decision because of the loyalty he showed us."

Related items

  • Andre Onana says Man Utd will learn from mistakes after FA Cup semi-final scare Andre Onana says Man Utd will learn from mistakes after FA Cup semi-final scare

    Andre Onana vowed Manchester United will learn from their mistakes ahead of facing Manchester City in the FA Cup final after their late collapse in the semi-final against Coventry almost led to an embarrassing defeat.

    United surrendered a 3-0 lead at Wembley and were saved from a humiliating exit in extra time only by a VAR intervention, ruling out for offside what would have been a last-gasp winner for the Sky Blues.

    They survived to edge through on penalties and set up a re-match of last year’s final against City on May 25, the first time since 1885 that the same two clubs have contested the final in consecutive seasons.

    But after they were ripped into in the closing stages by a Coventry team eighth in the Championship, United goalkeeper Onana indicated radical improvement will be needed if the Red Devils are to avenge the 2-1 loss they suffered against Pep Guardiola’s men last season.

    “It’s mixed feelings,” said the 28-year-old. “Of course the most important thing is the victory but the way we won, it’s a difficult situation.

    “We had the game under control, then some individual mistakes, gave some goals away. But we will learn from our mistakes. We have to continue working hard.”

    The manner in which United allowed Coventry back into the game has increased the pressure on manager Erik ten Hag, with the team currently seventh in Premier League and in a fight to qualify for Europe next season.

    Should they fail to overcome City in the cup final they face the prospect of missing out on European qualification for just the second time in the Premier League era.

    “If you put everything on the table, we can speak about everything; about injuries, bad luck,” said Onana. “We missed a lot of important players, it’s difficult for such a big club to play without such big players.

    “I don’t pay attention about how many shots we have conceded, because at the end of the day it’s about winning. We won so we have to look forward.

    “It’s a big responsibility and it starts with myself. We are here to take the bullet. When things are not going good, (it is important) not to point fingers.

    “Everything was under control and we gave goals away, so it’s more (our responsibility) than other people.”

    Asked what United needed to improve in order to overcome City in the final, he said: “Having more possession, being more dominant on the ball.

    “We play against a very good team who are very good on the ball. We’re going to make them run.”

  • Mark Clattenburg did not ask for Forest’s VAR to be changed Mark Clattenburg did not ask for Forest’s VAR to be changed

    Nottingham Forest did not ask for Stuart Attwell to be taken off VAR duties for their match against Everton, sources have told the PA news agency.

    Forest issued an extraordinary statement on social media on Sunday after their 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park, saying they had “warned” referees’ body Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) that Attwell “was a Luton fan” but that “they did not change him”.

    The statement also complained about three penalty appeals which were turned down. Forest said they were now “considering their options”, while the Football Association is understood to be investigating the post.

    PA understands Forest’s referee analyst Mark Clattenburg contacted PGMOL’s chief refereeing officer Howard Webb on Friday to share that manager Nuno Espirito Santo might be asked about Attwell’s appointment at his pre-match press conference, but ultimately no such questions were asked.

    However, the PA news agency has been told Forest, and Clattenburg, did not request for the appointment of Attwell to be changed and nor did the club express that they had any problem with the appointment.

    Forest have been contacted for comment.

    The Reds were furious not to be awarded spot-kicks by referee Anthony Taylor for challenges on Giovanni Reyna and Callum Hudson-Odoi by Ashley Young, who also escaped a handball decision. Attwell backed the referee’s on-field decision in each case.

    The club’s social media post on X read: “Three extremely poor decisions – three penalties not given – which we simply cannot accept.

    “We warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn’t change him. Our patience has been tested multiple times. NFFC will now consider its options.”

    Clattenburg later wrote in a Daily Mail column: “One of these errors would have been bad enough. Three was a joke, and that is why Nottingham Forest were left feeling victimised after another defeat in which zero big decisions went their way.

    “In a season where they have had to endure some egregious refereeing, this trip to Everton was as grim a game as they have encountered since returning to the Premier League.”

    He added: “You will have seen the statement released by the club — how the PGMOL was contacted to warn that it was not appropriate for a Luton fan such as Attwell to play such a pivotal role in a massive match that would impact the relegation race.

    “Certainly, I would not have risked this situation if I were the head of the referees and all of this could have been avoided had the PGMOL simply made smarter appointments.

    “Referees do not make mistakes deliberately but this was mind-boggling to watch. Why Attwell did not send Taylor to his screen, only he will know.”

    Clattenburg also spoke out last month after Forest’s defeat to Liverpool, when he highlighted that referee Paul Tierney had made an error in law by mistakenly handing possession back to Liverpool for a drop ball late in the game.

    On that occasion, the club were fined £75,000 for failing to control their players while first-team coach Steven Reid was fined and given a two-match touchline ban for his abusive behaviour towards Tierney.

  • Jose Mourinho: Man Utd tenure could have been different if club trusted me more Jose Mourinho: Man Utd tenure could have been different if club trusted me more

    Jose Mourinho believes his time with Manchester United may have been more successful had he been afforded the same level of support and trust as current manager Erik ten Hag.

    Mourinho won the Carabao Cup and Europa League in his first season at Old Trafford before finishing second in the Premier League the following campaign.

    But the Portuguese, who revealed he endured a difficult working relationship with former United chief executive Ed Woodward, was sacked in December 2018 after a poor run of results.

    The fortunes of the 20-time English champions have improved little since his departure, with Dutchman Ten Hag taking over in 2022 following the tenures of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and interim coach Ralf Rangnick.

    “My relationship with Ed Woodward was good – good as in the personal point of view,” Mourinho told the Telegraph.

    “But from a professional point of view it was not the best.

    “I am who I am. I am a football man. Ed comes from a different background and what Ten Hag has in his time at Manchester United I didn’t have. I didn’t have that level of support. I didn’t have that level of trust.

    “So I left sad, because I felt I was in the beginning of the process.

    “In some moments, I felt if they trusted me and believed in my experience things could be different.”

    Former Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid manager Mourinho returned to the Premier League with Tottenham in 2019 before taking charge at Roma, a role he left in January.

    The 61-year-old “would love Manchester United to succeed” but suggested some squad members remaining from his tenure lack the professionalism to represent a club striving to compete with the world’s best.

    “There are a couple of players still there I didn’t want five or six years ago,” he said.

    “I think they represent a little bit what I consider not the best professional profile to a club of a certain dimension.

    “But I did my job there. Time always tells the truth. I would love Manchester United to succeed.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.