Melbourne City keeper Glover avoids ban for throwing flare towards supporters

By Sports Desk December 27, 2022

Melbourne City goalkeeper Tom Glover has avoided a ban for his part in the violent pitch invasion that forced this month's derby against Melbourne Victory to be abandoned.

The A-League clash between Victory and City on December 17 saw flares thrown by both sets of fans during the opening quarter of the game at AAMI Park.

Trouble escalated when a flare hit a pitchside cameraman before exploding, with City keeper Glover throwing two flares off the field, one of which landed in the stands.

Fans behind the goal stormed the pitch and Glover was hit in the face with a metal bucket, while referee Alex King was also struck, leading to the game being brought to an end.

Three men have subsequently been charged by Victoria Police, while an independent match review panel (MRP) was tasked with determining if Glover deserved to be punished.

After reviewing the match footage and consulting referee King's match report, it was announced on Tuesday that no further action will be taken against Glover.

King confirmed in his report that he saw the incident involving Glover and he did not in any way feel the 25-year-old intentionally meant to throw a flare into the stands.

"Since the independent MRP was satisfied that the incident had not escaped the referee's attention, the MRP did not proceed to consider whether Glover should have been sanctioned with a direct red card," a Football Australia (FA) spokesperson said.

"Accordingly, the MRP has not cited the incident pursuant to the regulations."

Glover was therefore cleared to play for City in Tuesday's A-League encounter with Central Coast Mariners.

Victory were last week hit with a range of attendance-related sanctions by FA, with the club unable to sell tickets for any game up to and including January 15.

Additionally, the "active supporter bays" at both ends of AAMI Park are to be shut, and Victory fans will be unable to attend away games unless they appear on a pre-approved FA list of individuals who can qualify for complimentary tickets, though there will only be 1,000 of those available.

Even more significant punishments are still expected to be dished out to Victory, with FA adding "no determination regarding the final sanctions" had been made yet, with potential fines or points deductions reportedly on the table.

Related items

  • Chelsea players must set ego aside or 'situation will hardly change', Silva warns Chelsea players must set ego aside or 'situation will hardly change', Silva warns

    The departing Thiago Silva warned Chelsea's players to set their egos aside, or their "situation will hardly change" next season.

    Silva, who will return to hometown club Fluminense in the close season, is gearing up for his final appearance for the Blues after four years at Stamford Bridge, where they host Bournemouth on the final day of the 2023-24 campaign.

    A draw would be enough for sixth-place Chelsea to secure a return to European football next season, while they could still overtake Tottenham in fifth with a win and Spurs losing to bottom side Sheffield United.

    But despite a positive end to the campaign, during which they have won four successive games and lost just one of their last 14, Mauricio Pochettino's side are a whopping 28 points adrift of leaders Manchester City.

    Silva believes the club deserves better, having spent over £400 million on no fewer than 13 players over the past year, and has urged the squad to prioritise teamwork over their personal ambitions next term.

    "I hope [the players] understand that everything they did to get to Chelsea has to be worth it," he told Sky Sports. "Because the season we're having is not worthy of Chelsea. I think they need to do more next year.

    "These boys need to be aware that Chelsea has to fight for [for trophies] in the top positions. If we take a little of our ego and put it in favour of the team, I think it will work. If we don't do that, the situation will hardly change, unfortunately."

  • Mbappe left out of PSG squad for final Ligue 1 game Mbappe left out of PSG squad for final Ligue 1 game

    Kylian Mbappe has been left out of Paris Saint-Germain’s squad for what would have been his final league game for the club.

    PSG face Metz on Sunday having already secured the Ligue 1 title for a record-extending 12th time, but Mbappe will play no part in the match.

    The Frenchman is not listed on the club’s medical list, though he did miss their win over Nice on Wednesday as a precaution. PSG did not give a reason to justify his absence.

    PSG still have the Coupe de France final to play on May 25 against Lyon, which Mbappe could return for.

    Mbappe confirmed he would be leaving the club at the end of the season after seven years. He is the club’s top scorer with 256 goals, with 191 of those coming in Ligue 1. 

  • 'Age is not an issue', insists energised Casemiro 'Age is not an issue', insists energised Casemiro

    Casemiro insists "age is not an issue" and the midfielder is feeling optimistic about the future at Manchester United.

    The Brazil international and his team-mates have endured a frustrating season at Old Trafford, with the club in danger of suffering their lowest Premier League finish in eighth place.

    Casemiro enjoyed a successful first campaign with the Red Devils, who he helped to a third-place finish and victory in the Carabao Cup.

    However, injuries have prevented the 32-year-old from building on that momentum this term, with critics suggesting his age is preventing him from coping with the physical demands of the English top flight.

    But the former Real Madrid midfielder rubbished those suggestions, highlighting notable examples of players shining in their mid to late 30s.

    "I feel very well, very well," he told Sky Sports. "I feel healthy, with energy and the same mentality I always had.

    "I guess people end up talking about the age factor, but it's been proven. Recently, our friend Thiago Silva - at the age of 39, came here and showed that, yes, you can play. The previous Ballon d'Or winners were over 34.

    "At Manchester City, there's Kevin De Bruyne. (Mo) Salah at Liverpool. I think age is not an issue, it is not a factor in this, but analysing one's game and knowing about everything that is happening around the game.

    "These are people who analyse football well, who see what's happening, who know what's happening, and not analyse the age.

    "But I'm well, I'm happy. As I usually say, Manchester United gave me what I wanted - this joy of being able to enjoy the game, enjoy the Premier League. So, I'm happy to be here."

    United conclude their Premier League season away to Brighton and Hove Albion on Sunday, before facing rivals Manchester City in the FA Cup final on May 25.

    Casemiro believes the vast number of injuries have played a crucial factor in the Red Devils' struggles this term.

    "It's been a season of a lot of sacrifices for all of us, with the injuries and players adapting," he added. "So, it's been very hard for us.

    "The manager came to ask me [to play at centre-half], and I told him I'm always available. That's the way I am; trying to help, committing to the team and to the coaching staff. So, when he asked me, I didn’t even hesitate.

    "I think we had over 60 or 70 injuries. I've never seen this in my life. 

    "It is hard to think about winning a Premier League when you have so many injuries to important players, players that you think will be able to play throughout the season, and you can't count on them."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.