Rumour Has It: Man Utd ready to move for Gakpo but PSV double their asking price to £50m

By Sports Desk December 05, 2022

Cody Gakpo's reputation has grown exponentially during the World Cup having netted three goals for the Netherlands in the group stage.

Manchester United, who are managed by ex-Ajax boss Erik ten Hag, were keen on the 23-year-old during the off-season but no move materialised.

The Red Devils have since parted ways with five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo and are eager to bolster their forward options.

TOP STORY – PSV UP GAKPO ASKING PRICE

Manchester United are ready to make their move for Netherlands forward Cody Gakpo in January, according to The Sun.

However, Gakpo's Dutch club PSV will demand £50million (€58m) for him, claims The Mirror, which is double what they wanted in the off season.

If that asking price is prohibitive, United may opt to switch their attention to Milan's Rafael Leao, who is contracted until 2024.

 

ROUND-UP

Real Madrid's plans to sign Leao will be deferred until 2024, according to Sport. Madrid's sights are set on chasing Manchester City's Erling Haaland, who reportedly has an exit clause from 2024, and Palmeiras teenager Endrick, who cannot move to Europe until he is 18, in 2024.

– Atletico Madrid are looking to sell Portuguese forward Joao Felix in January, reports Marca. Manchester United and Chelsea have been linked with the 23-year-old who is contracted until 2026.

– GiveMeSport's Dean Jones claims Newcastle United are considering Chelsea midfielder Christian Pulisic, who is currently the subject of plenty of speculation.

Arsenal are not making plans to sign a replacement for Gabriel Jesus whose World Cup was ended prematurely by a knee injury, despite there being no certainty on how long he will be out injured, claims Football Insider.

– La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that Inter are in the hunt for a midfielder and weighing up a move for Valencia's United States international Yunus Musah, who caught the eye at the World Cup.

Related items

  • Simeone not plotting Atletico Madrid exit despite Copa del Rey collapse Simeone not plotting Atletico Madrid exit despite Copa del Rey collapse

    Diego Simeone has reiterated his happiness with Atletico Madrid despite the club looking set for another season without a trophy.

    The Argentine saw his side let a one-goal lead slip in the Copa del Rey quarter-finals to rivals Real Madrid, who won 3-1 after extra-time at Santiago Bernabeu.

    Atletico's exit effectively signals the end of any silverware prospects for the season, with the club currently fourth in LaLiga, 13 points behind leaders Barcelona, and also out of Europe.

    But Simeone reaffirmed his commitment to the Rojiblancos in his post-match comments, insisting he will not walk away of his own accord yet.

    "I am enormously happy to be at Atletico," he said. "[I have been] from the day I arrived. I am going to give everything I have until I leave.

    "I will give myself a thousand per cent with this team and with the club. Now, I only have [it] in my head to work with joy and enthusiasm.

    "I have done that from the day I arrived [and I will do so] until the day [that] I have to go. That will come some day [but not now]."

    Atletico ended the match with 10 men, having seen Stefan Savic dismissed in extra-time with the score at 1-1 for back-to-back bookings.

    Frustrations from Atleti players over Dani Ceballos avoiding a second yellow for a foul earlier in the match boiled over after the final whistle.

    Goalkeeper Jan Oblak suggested that his team get unfair treatment from match officials when playing their rivals, and said they should be accustomed to such difficulties.

    "If it is a red for us, it should be a red for them too," he added. "I think they should have had their second yellow card.

    "It's been decided that way and we're used to it by now. Even so, we've fought to the end against everyone."

  • Ajax sack Schreuder after going seven Eredivisie games without a win Ajax sack Schreuder after going seven Eredivisie games without a win

    Ajax have sacked head coach Alfred Schreuder after a poor run of results.

    Schreuder replaced Erik ten Hag after his move to Manchester United at the end of last season, and initially seemed to be a good fit in Amsterdam, winning his first six league games and thrashing Rangers 4-0 in Ajax's first Champions League game of the season.

    However, elimination from the Champions League group stage also led to form dipping drastically in the Eredivisie, having not won a league game since October, although that gap included a break for the 2022 World Cup. 

    Following Thursday's 1-1 home draw with strugglers Volendam, the club decided to act after failing to win any of their past seven games in the Eredivisie (D6 L1), leaving them fifth in the table, seven points behind leaders Feyenoord.

    It is Ajax's joint-longest winless run in Eredivisie history (also seven in 1962, 1964 and 1965).

    A statement from the Dutch giants read: "The many points lost and the team's lack of development are the main reasons for this decision. 

    "The club management no longer has confidence in further cooperation."

    Ajax confirmed that assistant coach Matthias Kaltenbach had also been dismissed.

    The club's chief executive Edwin van der Sar added: "It is a painful decision, but also a necessary one.

    "After a good start to the season, we then lost an unnecessary number of points... In recent weeks it became increasingly clear that [Schreuder] could not turn the tide, while we believe that despite the many transfers he had a strong and championship worthy squad at his disposal.

    "We have also lost a lot of points in recent weeks and unfortunately we did not see any progress."

  • 'We don't like to suffer' – Benzema relieved for extra-time success in Copa del Rey 'We don't like to suffer' – Benzema relieved for extra-time success in Copa del Rey

    Karim Benzema suggests Real Madrid must find earlier goals in games if they do not wish to suffer after their 3-1 Copa del Rey comeback against Atletico Madrid.

    Los Blancos failed to find the net until the final quarter-hour of regular time at the Santiago Bernabeu, when Rodrygo cancelled out Alvaro Morata's opener.

    His superb solo finish forced extra-time in Thursday's quarter-final tie, with further goals for Benzema and Vinicius Junior cementing the turnaround for the hosts.

    The reigning winner of the Ballon d'Or acknowledged his side made themselves work for their spot in the last four with their performance at points, but stresses they always had the quality to respond.

    "It was a very difficult and complicated game," the France international reflected afterwards. "But with the players and talent we have, we knew we could make a comeback of it.

    "Perhaps we need to score goals sooner, because we don't like to suffer. Atletico positioned themselves well, got in behind, and that cost us. Rodrygo's response was a great goal."

    For Vinicius, his goal ensured a bright finish to a difficult day in which an effigy of the Brazilian winger was hung from a bridge near Madrid's training ground ahead of the derby.

    Coach Carlo Ancelotti praised the 22-year-old in his post-match comments, adding there was never any doubt he would miss the match despite the incident.

    "Vinicius has always wanted to play and was very focused on the game," he said. "He played a great game. What happened elsewhere today has been very regrettable."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.