'We wish him much health' – Pele gets message of support from Brazil's World Cup squad

By Sports Desk December 01, 2022

Pele is in the thoughts of Brazil's World Cup stars as he undergoes treatment in hospital, head coach Tite said on Thursday.

Three-time World Cup winner Pele, regarded among the greatest players of all time, is receiving medical care at home in Brazil.

The 82-year-old underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year, and has been in and out of hospital since.

His daughter, Kely Nascimento, has said there is "no surprise or emergency" over her father's hospitalisation after he was admitted this week.

Particularly coming at a time when a World Cup is taking place and he is not present, the news of Pele needing hospital attention has caused concern for many.

Tite read out a statement before taking questions at Brazil's press conference, saying: "We all wish a lot of health to Pele.

"We found out the news from the press. He’s the biggest representative of the national team and we wish him much health. That is the feeling of all the squad, we wish Pele the very best."

Pele's daughter said in her statement on Wednesday that "the media is freaking out again", adding that she planned to visit her father in the new year, with her brothers visiting at present.

 

As Brazil got their tournament under way last week, Pele sent the squad a message of good luck. He was a World Cup winner in 1958, 1962 and 1970.

He wrote on Instagram: "Today we start writing a new story. No matter the size and tradition of the opponents: we must respect and play each match with the focus of a final.

"It is important to play beautifully, yes, but it is also essential to leave everything on the pitch.

"Today, we will be more than 200 million hearts beating as one, vibrating with each achievement of our Selecao.

"I am sending all positive energies to you. I'm sure we'll have a happy ending. God bless you. Bring this trophy home!"

Brazil have begun their campaign with a 2-0 win over Serbia and a 1-0 success against Switzerland, rounding off their Group G campaign against Cameroon on Friday.

Related items

  • Kolo Toure lasts less than two months at Wigan Athletic Kolo Toure lasts less than two months at Wigan Athletic

    Kolo Toure has been sacked by Wigan Athletic less than two months after taking charge of the Championship club.

    Toure, the former Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool defender, was appointed Wigan manager on November 29. It was his first job in management.

    However, the 41-year-old was sacked on Thursday after just 59 days having failed to win any of his nine games in charge.

    Toure's Wigan lost six of those fixtures and sit bottom of the Championship with 25 points from 28 matches.

    The Latics' chief executive Malachy Brannigan said: "Firstly, I'd like to thank Kolo [for his] efforts during [his] time at the football club. 

    "Unfortunately, the results on the field have not been as we would have liked and as tough a decision as this was, the Board felt it necessary to give us the best possible chance of remaining a Championship club next season."

  • Lyon president vows Gusto will stay despite Chelsea interest Lyon president vows Gusto will stay despite Chelsea interest

    Malo Gusto will remain at Lyon despite interest from Chelsea, with club president Jean-Michel Aulas claiming the right-back will stay in Ligue 1.

    The youngster has been linked with a switch to the Premier League heavyweights, who have presided over a high-spending January transfer window.

    France youth international Gusto is the latest to be touted for a move, and has reportedly already agreed personal terms on a six-and-a-half-year deal.

    But reports also said Lyon knocked back a £17.6million (€20m) offer from the Blues on Wednesday, and Aulas has claimed the 19-year-old will not be going anywhere this month.

    "I have the pleasure to explain that Malo Gusto, one of Lyon's big talents, will continue to play for Lyon until at least June 30," he wrote on Twitter.

    Gusto is out of contract at the end of next season with the Ligue 1 outfit, who currently ninth with just one win from their last five top-flight matches.

    The club reportedly value him closer to £35m (€40m) and may well be playing hardball in order to convince Chelsea to either up their offer or wait for the end of the campaign.

    With 47 appearances for his hometown club, Gusto is already knocking at the door of the France senior team under Didier Deschamps.

    If he was to move to Chelsea, he would become their seventh arrival of the transfer window, and second from Ligue 1 after Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile.

    David Datro Fofana, Andrey Santos, Mykhaylo Mudryk and Noni Madueke are the other permanent arrivals at Stamford Bridge, while Joao Felix also joined on loan from Atletico Madrid.

  • England job 'greatest privilege' for Southgate as manager reflects on decision to stay England job 'greatest privilege' for Southgate as manager reflects on decision to stay

    Gareth Southgate described the England manager job as "the greatest privilege" of his life and said he wanted to make sure he was "fresh and hungry" before committing to remain in the role after the Three Lions' World Cup exit.

    A year-and-a-half on from reaching the Euro 2020 final on home turf, England were edged out 2-1 in the quarter-finals of Qatar 2022 by France.

    The tournament nevertheless marked a turnaround in form for the Three Lions after a dismal Nations League campaign, underlining Southgate's record in his role.

    But the former Middlesbrough boss acknowledged he needed time to ensure he made the right call in choosing to remain on board.

    "I never want to be in a position where my presence is affecting the team in a negative way," he told BBC Sport.

    "I didn't believe that was the case, but I just wanted a period after the World Cup to reflect and make sure that was still how it felt."

    "Is it the right thing to keep taking this project on? I wanted to make sure I'm still fresh and hungry for that challenge. [It is] the greatest privilege of my life.

    "The quality of performances and the progress that we're making [shows] the team [is] still improving. We're all gaining belief in what we're doing."

    England face a banana-skin qualification pathway for Euro 2024, with defending champions Italy, Ukraine, North Macedonia and Malta in their group.

    The Three Lions will play the former two sides in March as they begin their campaign working towards next year's tournament in Germany.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.