Uruguay unlikely to shift Real Madrid star Valverde forward after consecutive scoreless outings

By Sports Desk November 28, 2022

Uruguay head coach Diego Alonso believes his Real Madrid star Federico Valverde is best suited as a defensive midfielder, but that the team will need to perform better as a whole to allow him to "shine more".

Alonso's comments came after Monday's disappointing 2-0 loss to Portugal, leaving Uruguay alongside Mexico and Tunisia as the only teams without a goal through two matches.

Following their failure to score in their 0-0 opener against South Korea, Uruguay were well-handled by the Portuguese, controlling only 40 per cent of the possession, although they only narrowly trailed in expected goals 1.33 to 1.27.

Not short on talent, Uruguay fielded a starting XI that included Liverpool's Darwin Nunez and 135-cap veteran Edinson Cavani up front, while Tottenham's Rodrigo Betancur partnered Valverde in midfield.

Having played both in central midfield and on the wing for Madrid, Valverde was deployed in the engine room against Portugal, and despite their desperation for goals, Alonso made it clear that is where he feels the 24-year-old is most valuable.

"I think Federico has played full matches with us in the qualifying round," he said. "He’s played in the same position, even playing higher up. 

"I think he played as a defensive midfielder with a second pivot together with Bentancur. It's the same position that you saw today. He was even playing higher up, or as a wide midfielder. 

"I think his main skill is playing through the central lanes. With us, he's showed a great performance in that position.

"When you talk about shooting, I think he shot once [against Korea], it just missed the top corner. He was unlucky he couldn't score. 

"For us, he's an important player with many skills. When the team plays better, I'm sure he will shine more."

Despite their lack of potency going forward, Uruguay still have a chance to advance to the knockout stage if they can defeat Ghana in their final Group H fixture – a rematch from 2010's quarter-final where Uruguay advanced on penalties.

"We are looking for victory against Ghana, there is no doubt about it," Alonso said. "If we have to make slight modifications, that is what we'll do. 

"We will provide a team all the weapons we have at hand, so I have full trust in my players. I'm sure the next game will be hard, but we will go all out so that we have a victory and we qualify.

"We are talking about qualifying or not qualifying. It was very important back in [2010], but this is a different situation. It will be a crucial game, but has nothing to do with what happened 12 years ago.

"We need to feel free and move freely as we played during the second half against Korea. We need to gamble more and push forward, playing in between the lines and going for one-on-ones on the sides. 

"Sometimes, opponents also play, they stop you, they know which are your main skills and they try to counter your play. But we need to continue trusting our team, our skills, the players we have, and to also give them trust to develop their game."

Related items

  • Nottingham Forest sign free agent Andre Ayew Nottingham Forest sign free agent Andre Ayew

    Nottingham Forest have completed the signing of Ghana international Andre Ayew on a free transfer.

    The 33-year-old forward becomes the club's 30th signing since the end of last season, and was able to join after the closure of the January transfer window as he had been a free agent.

    Ayew, who had also been linked with a move to Everton, has penned a deal with the Premier League side until the end of the campaign.

    After leaving Qatari side Al Sadd, Ayew returns for his second spell in English football, having spent time at Swansea City and West Ham between 2015 and 2021.

    Ayew is reunited with manager Steve Cooper, who previously worked with him at Swansea.

    "It's a great feeling to sign for Nottingham Forest," he told the club's website after his signing was confirmed on Thursday.

    "I know how big the club is, and I know how much the club means to the city and the fanbase. It's always been difficult whenever I've played against Forest and at The City Ground and I love the stadium.

    "Steve Cooper is someone who knows me very well and knows how to work with me both on and off the pitch. We have a strong relationship, he's a special coach and a special human being and someone who I really look up to.

    "I know what I can bring to the team, I'm ready to give my all and make sure that we are able to stay in the Premier League."

  • Nunez confident of replicating Suarez at Liverpool Nunez confident of replicating Suarez at Liverpool

    Darwin Nunez is confident he can follow in Luis Suarez's footsteps at Liverpool and explode in his second season.

    The Uruguay forward has struggled to find consistency since arriving at Anfield from Benfica in June, scoring in his opening two appearances but only managing eight goals in 23 since.

    Nunez's struggles in front of goal have come alongside Liverpool's own issues, with Jurgen Klopp's side languishing in ninth spot in the Premier League and out of both the EFL Cup and FA Cup.

    Though he recognises the problems he has encountered in the first half of his debut season in English football, Nunez identified Suarez's own slow start on Merseyside and feels he can bounce back in similar style.

    Former Ajax striker Suarez scored just 15 goals in 44 Premier League games in his first season-and-a-half at Liverpool, before hitting 54 in his next 66 prior to leaving for Barcelona in 2014.

    "Obviously, I still have many things to work on, for example my finishing. But I think the same thing is happening to me as happened to Suarez. In his second year, he tore it up," Nunez told Sky Sports.

    "Something similar happened to me already at Benfica. The first year went very badly for me and in the second, I exploded.

    "Here, I think the same thing is happening. I hope next season will be like that. I'll put my best forward and hopefully I'll get a bit of luck."

    In order to emulate Suarez, Nunez has regularly spoken to the man himself for advice and values the discussions with his compatriot.

    "Of course, it's always helpful to speak with Suarez. For me, he is an idol. He is a great example. In the national team, I now have a much better relationship with him," he added.

    "We are always talking and he is always giving me advice. I always try to keep in touch with him.

    "I ask him a lot of things because he was at this club and he has a lot more experience than me. He is an important player to give me advice and explain things to me."

  • Neville explains 'clumsy like' of Greenwood dropped charges tweet Neville explains 'clumsy like' of Greenwood dropped charges tweet

    Gary Neville has attempted to explain his 'like' of a post on Twitter that appeared to support criminal charges being dropped against Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the Crown Prosecution Service confirmed on Thursday that all charges had been dropped due to "a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light [meaning] there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction".

    Former United full-back turned pundit Neville came in for criticism on Thursday after liking and retweeting posts from Nazir Afzal, a solicitor and former Chief Crown Prosecutor for North West England, that defended Greenwood, referring to him as "an innocent man" and criticising "trial by media".

    Neville took to Twitter to explain his actions, posting: "I liked a tweet relating to the Mason Greenwood news this afternoon from Nazir Afzal (the former director of public prosecutions).

    "This like is being misinterpreted. It was a clumsy like as I obviously condemn any violence against women."

    United "will conduct its own process" before determining next steps for Greenwood.

    Greenwood last featured for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham and has been suspended by the club ever since.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.