Ajax star Alvarez expects 'big club' to target him after missing out on Chelsea move

By Sports Desk October 29, 2022

Edson Alvarez has opened up on the blow of missing out on a move from Ajax to Chelsea, but the Mexico midfielder expects another top European club to come knocking.

The 25-year-old is set to be an important figure for his country at the Qatar 2022 World Cup, where he will have another chance to impress possible suitors.

The former Club America player was said to have been the subject of a €50million offer from Chelsea in the last transfer window, which Ajax refused, leaving Alvarez by his own admission "very disappointed".

Alvarez has been unable to prevent Ajax slipping to an early exit from the Champions League, but domestically they are leading the way in the Eredivisie, even after losing head coach Erik ten Hag and star winger Antony to Manchester United.

United are among the clubs to have been linked with Alvarez, who hopes the "difficult situation" of the last transfer window can be quickly forgotten.

"Of course there was interest from Chelsea. Nobody expected that they would make another offer," Alvarez said. "Ajax really couldn't go anywhere. They couldn't do anything more. They didn't have a player in my position."

Speaking to ESPN, Alvarez said he "fought as far as I could" before committing to Ajax for this season, knowing future opportunities could arise should he again be a top performer.

He has attempted more tackles (38), contested the most duels for the ball (174) and made more interceptions (22) than any other Ajax player so far this term.

By producing on the pitch, he is keeping the door open for more transfer opportunities in the future.

"Eventually you are aware that everything changes. A better competition, a better life for yourself and for your family. Because that's what it's all about in the end," Alvarez said.

"I've always thought for myself that I'm here because of my love for football, but also for my family.

"On the other hand, it motivates me enormously that clubs of that size keep an eye on my matches, my actions. I am very disappointed, but I am convinced that sooner or later a big club will come for me."

Related items

  • Al-Riyadh 2-2 Al-Nassr: Laporte sent off for punch as Al-Nemer salvages point Al-Riyadh 2-2 Al-Nassr: Laporte sent off for punch as Al-Nemer salvages point

    Former Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte was sent off for punching Mohammed Al-Aqel on the arm as Al-Nassr played out a 2-2 draw with Al-Riyadh in the Saudi Pro League.

    Meshari Al-Nemer's 97th-minute strike salvaged a point for Al-Nassr, who had trailed for over half the game and played with a one-man disadvantage for over half an hour.

    Otavio had put Al-Nassr ahead only for Andre Gray to drag the hosts level, before Al-Aqel gave David Ospina no chance with a terrific overhead kick to make it 2-1.

    Al-Nassr's position was put in further jeopardy when Laporte was sent off following a bizarre off-the-ball incident which saw him grab and punch Al-Aqel on the elbow, while Cristiano Ronaldo came up with a glaring miss from Sadio Mane's pass across the six-yard box.

    Al-Nemer levelled at the death for Al-Nassr, though they still sit some 14 points adrift of champions Al-Hilal, who could complete an unbeaten season against Al-Wehda on Monday.

    Data Debrief: Laporte's horror show

    It was a game to forget for Laporte, whose bizarre punch on Al-Aqel put Al-Nassr up against it versus a team still in danger of relegation.

    Laporte did not attempt a single tackle in the game while his four duels contested were the joint-fewest of every outfield starter (alongside Khalid Al-Shuwayyi). He was also sent off in Al-Nassr's AFC Champions League quarter-final tie against Al Ain in March.

  • Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona Putellas signs two-year deal with Barcelona

    Barcelona midfielder Alexia Putellas has signed a two-year deal until 2026, the club announced on Thursday.

    Putellas was due to be out of contract next month, but extends her 12-year relationship with Barcelona, with the new deal also including an option for an additional season.

    The 30-year-old is a two-time Ballon d’Or winner in 2021 and 2022, though she has struggled with injuries that have kept her sidelined since winning the second.

    Overall, she has made 424 appearances, scoring a record 189 goals for the club, playing a pivotal role in Barcelona’s recent domination in women’s football.

    Putellas has won 29 major trophies with Barcelona and is looking for another on Saturday when they face Lyon in the Champions League final.

    Having already clinched Liga F, the Copa de la Reina and the Spanish Supercopa this season, Putellas can help Barcelona to complete an unprecedented quadruple with a win over the French champions.

  • Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad

    United States coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 27-man preliminary squad ahead of the Copa America.

    Josh Sargent, the Norwich City forward, has earned a recall to the USA squad for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Colombia, and is set to feature for his country for the first time since 2022.

    With first-choice right-back Sergino Dest injured, meanwhile, Berhalter has turned to Nashville SC's Shaq Moore in defence.

    Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Matt Turner, Weston McKennie and Brendan Aaronson are among the established names to feature.

    Former Arsenal forward Folarin Balogun, who opted to represent the USA rather than England, has also made the cut, as has Coventry City's Haji Wright, who has had a strong season in England's second tier.

    Berhalter explained Sargent had been called up to give him another option in attack, with Wright seen primarily as a wide option.

    "Between their club form and what they've done for the national team in the past, we think it's a talented group of strikers," he said.

    Giovanni Reyna, the 21-year-old Borussia Dortmund attacker who has been on loan at Nottingham Forest since January, has also been included, despite a feud between Berhalter and the playmaker's family in the wake of the World Cup.

    Antonee Robinson has had another impressive season with Fulham, and has been called up alongside club-mate Tim Ream.

    Former Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen was a notable omission, as were MLS stars Jesus Ferreira and Jordan Morris.

    "This summer presents an opportunity for us to progress and grow as a team as we continue to build towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup," Berhalter said.

    "We have a talented group of players and are excited about the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the world."

    Berhalter will cut down his squad after the friendlies, with Copa hosts USA taking on Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia in Group C.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.