Spanish football chiefs double down on Vilda support after 15 players make coach complaint

By Sports Desk September 23, 2022

Spanish football chiefs threw their support behind women's coach Jorge Vilda on Friday, siding with him ahead of 15 players who announced they would not play for the national team again while he remains in charge.

Ana Alvarez, director of women's football at Spain's national federation, the RFEF, said Vilda's position was "unquestionable".

She confirmed the women who wrote with their concerns would not be selected, saying that was in keeping with their wishes.

Alvarez also said it would be "in bad taste" and "not reality" to suggest there was anything more than sporting reasons behind the women's opposition to Vilda remaining in charge.

The RFEF said on Thursday that the players had individually sent identical emails in which they resigned from Vilda's national team due to the impacts on their "emotional state" and "health". The precise cause of their dissatisfaction with Vilda has not been disclosed.

Vilda has an agreement to remain as coach until 2024, and his team have qualified for next year's World Cup.

There was a scathing initial response from the RFEF to the emails, which it said were "far from exemplary and outside the values ​​of football and sport, and are harmful".

Alvarez followed up in similar fashion on Friday by making it clear the players would not get their way.

"We will not tolerate this kind of pressure," she said. "In their communications they make clear what their situation is. And we listen to them, of course. We will attend to your request not to be called up."

She added, quoted by AS: "Jorge Vilda will make a list in which these 15 players will not feature, as they themselves wish, for their well-argued and respected reasons."

Veteran United States women's national team star Megan Rapinoe told the disenchanted Spanish group she would be "a 16th standing with you", adding in an Instagram post: "This many players together like this is so powerful. We should all listen."

Alvarez explained Vilda was "surprised and disappointed" by the players' emails but remained "strong", and stressed his position is secure, saying: "Today it is unquestionable. We trust him and his work."

She said the RFEF were "very surprised" that the players each cited their health and emotional state, saying that previously they had only raised complaints of "a sporting issue".

"From here we would like them to be recovered as soon as possible, even if they were available for the weekend, since there is a Liga," she said.

Frowning on speculation, Alvarez added: "What is being insinuated is that something more serious is happening beyond sports. We emphatically deny it. We find it in bad taste to imply that there may be something more."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Liverpool consider move for Bayern's Musiala as Bellingham alternative Rumour Has It: Liverpool consider move for Bayern's Musiala as Bellingham alternative

    Real Madrid are keen on Jude Bellingham, and so too are Premier League giants Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.

    Given the hot pursuit, some are said to be considering alternative targets, particularly Liverpool who had a quiet off-season in the transfer market.

    Jurgen Klopp's Reds added Darwin Nunez, with Sadio Mane exiting, but they did not make a major midfield signing in the off-season.

    TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL EYE MUSIALA AS BELLINGHAM ALTERNATIVE

    Liverpool are among the clubs circling for Borussia Dortmund's Jude Bellingham. Should they miss out, they will turn to Bayern Munich's Jamal Musiala, according to the Mirror.

    Germany international Musiala spent time with Southampton and Chelsea in his youth and was capped by England at age-group level.

    Sky Germany reports Liverpool are among several top clubs keeping tabs on the 19-year-old, although it is believed he has no plans to exit the Allianz Arena anytime soon.

    ROUND-UP

    – Tottenham are the latest club to join the race to sign Milan's Portuguese forward Rafael Leao, reports Calciomercato. Chelsea and Manchester City have been linked with Leao who is set to receive a fresh contract offer from Milan.

    – Calciomercato claims Real Madrid will rival Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain, who are both keen on Inter defender Milan Skriniar. The Slovakian's contract ends in mid-2023, prompting interest, although Inter are trying to renew his deal.

    – Marca claims Barcelona have reached an agreement to permanently sell Antoine Griezmann to Atletico Madrid for half of the €40m asking price. Griezmann is in the second season of a two-year loan deal, but Atletico have been playing him in on reduced minutes to avoid triggering a clause in his contract.

    – Football Insider reports Arsenal are monitoring Marcus Rashford's situation at Manchester United, with the forward's contract to expire at the end of this season.

    – Southampton are on the brink of sacking manager Ralph Hasenhuttl after managing only seven points from eight games to start this Premier League, according to the Telegraph. Hasenhuttl has been at the Saints helm since 2018.

    – There is a manager merry-go-around with Nottingham Forest's under-pressure boss Steve Cooper in contention to replace Hasenhuttl at Southampton, claims the Daily Mail.

  • 'Madrid want to finish the group as soon as possible' – Kroos targets early last-16 qualification 'Madrid want to finish the group as soon as possible' – Kroos targets early last-16 qualification

    Toni Kroos insists Real Madrid want to secure qualification for the Champions League knockout stages "as soon as possible" following victory over Shakhtar Donetsk.

    The holders maintained their 100 per cent start in Group F with first-half goals from Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior sealing a 2-1 win at Santiago Bernabeu.

    Despite converting just two of their 36 shots on goal, Madrid moved five points clear at the group summit after winning their opening three games in the competition for the first time since the 2014-15 campaign.

    Los Blancos could book their place in the last 16 with victory over Shakhtar in the return fixture in Warsaw next week, which would be the ideal scenario for Kroos.

    "The idea is to finish the group as soon as possible," the midfielder told Movistar+. "We have nine points out of nine, we have played three very good games, and we want another victory in Warsaw. 

    "There are days when the ball does not want to enter, it has been a game to win 7-1 or something. But in the end, it is three points, and it has been a deserved victory.

    "In the end, it's hard to believe we won only 2-1, but there are days like that. The ball will go in over the next few games."

    Head coach Carlo Ancelotti warned his players against complacency after they were pegged back against the run of play by Oleksandr Zubkov's spectacular strike.

    But the Italian was thrilled at seeing his side creating so many chances; Madrid only registering more shots on goal in a single Champions League match against Roma in March 2016.

    "[I am] satisfied because I think we played very well; the front three combined very well in front, pressing more," Ancelotti added. "We have had many opportunities, but we have not succeeded. The important thing was to have opportunities.

    "We have lowered the intensity [at 2-0 up]; we thought we were comfortable. I gave a call for attention at half-time because the game was not over.

    "It's pretty normal that it can happen. We were playing very well, it seemed easy, but these were the dangerous matches. You get ahead of yourself. 

    "I think it's important to leave this group behind next week, so we can focus on the league."

  • Messi hits another Champions League landmark with goal against Benfica Messi hits another Champions League landmark with goal against Benfica

    Lionel Messi broke yet another record with his delightful goal for Paris Saint-Germain in Wednesday’s Champions League meeting with Benfica

    His first-half goal made him the only player to have scored against 40 different opponents in UEFA's flagship club competition.

    The 35-year-old started off an intricate one-touch move before receiving the ball from Neymar and stroking home a delightful left-footed strike into the left-hand corner.

    Out of the 40 teams he has found the net against, Messi has scored more times against Arsenal (nine) than any other club, while the former Barcelona star has also scored six goals against his current team, PSG.

    The goal was his 127th in the competition, meaning only Cristiano Ronaldo (141) has scored more. His first in the competition was against Panathinaikos in November 2005, when the Argentine was 18.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.