Rumour Has It: Chelsea and Leicester reach agreement on Fofana fee

By Sports Desk August 27, 2022

Chelsea could finally be set for a transfer breakthrough after reportedly agreeing to meet Leicester City's demands of around £70million for centre-back Wesley Fofana.

Fofana, 21, has been a key target for Chelsea in their bid to replace Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen, who departed for Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona earlier in the transfer window.

While the Blues have already spent £33m to secure 31-year-old Kalidou Koulibaly – who has started all three of their Premier League fixtures this season – Fofana is yet to enter his prime and could provide defensive security for the next decade.

 

TOP STORY – LEICESTER ACCEPT CHELSEA'S NEWEST BID FOR FOFANA

According to L'Equipe, Chelsea's successful bid for Fofana includes add-ons which could make him the most expensive defender in the history of football, surpassing the £80m Leicester received from Manchester United for Harry Maguire.

Leicester had been publicly declaring Fofana was not for sale, but the situation was accelerated by the defender missing a training session, leading to him being told to train with the Foxes' under-23s.

Fofana is yet to receive his first senior cap for France, but the increased visibility that will come with a move to Stamford Bridge could tee him up for a breakthrough World Cup campaign in Qatar.
 

ROUND-UP

– Ajax star Antony has engaged in a stunning interview with Fabrizio Romano, declaring his time in the Eredivisie has run its course amid strong interest from Manchester United.

– Marca are reporting Cristiano Ronaldo has decided his best option is to return to Sporting CP, where he began his career, despite the need to take a significant pay cut should he leave United.

– According to Calciomercato, Liverpool are considering including Roberto Firmino in their offer to Paris Saint-Germain for 28-year-old midfielder Leandro Paredes.

– Sky Sports claim West Ham have had an offer in the vicinity of £51m accepted by Lyon for their 24-year-old creator Lucas Paqueta.

Chelsea are set to trigger the £12.6million release clause for Dynamo Moscow's 19-year-old midfielder Arsen Zakharyan, per the Daily Mail.

Related items

  • Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time Luis Enrique offers Kylian Mbappe no guarantees of Champions League playing time

    Paris St Germain boss Luis Enrique has offered Kylian Mbappe no guarantees about his playing time in the Champions League.

    The reported wantaway striker was taken off at half-time during PSG’s goalless draw with Monaco on Friday, having been substituted just over an hour into the draw against Rennes a week earlier.

    Asked what he expected from Mbappe in their second leg at Real Sociedad on Tuesday night, Enrique told a press conference: “I expect my team to be up to the level of the game and to approach it in the way we have throughout the season.

    “I can see that the team is full of confidence and we have a clear target, which is to try to win the game.

    “We want to beat Real Sociedad away from  home, but it will certainly be very tough.”

    PSG lead 2-0 from the first leg and Enrique added: “It is an attractive position to be in and we have the desire to be in this competition.”

    Enrique confirmed that full-back Nuno Mendes was fit to start following his lengthy injury absence.

    Real Sociedad coach Imanol Alguacil knows his side face a tough task to overturn the two-goal deficit, but is hopeful they can spring a surprise.

    “I will ask the team to show personality, just like in Paris. We made it clear over there that we are capable,” he said.

    “For our part, we will do everything we can to achieve it. I want the best atmosphere, both on and off the pitch. It won’t be easy, but we are full of hope. The important thing is to compete and to stay alive.”

  • Bruno Fernandes admits derby loss makes it ‘hard’ for United to reach top four Bruno Fernandes admits derby loss makes it ‘hard’ for United to reach top four

    Bruno Fernandes admits it is “going to be hard” for Manchester United to qualify for the Champions League after Manchester City’s “individual quality” led to an 11th Premier League loss of the season.

    An unbeaten start to 2024 came to an abrupt halt at home to Fulham last weekend and, having edged past Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup, was compounded by another league defeat on Sunday afternoon.

    Marcus Rashford put unfancied United into a shock lead at the Etihad Stadium, only for fabulous Phil Foden’s brace and a stoppage-time Erling Haaland strike to seal City a 3-1 derby win.

    “Obviously we’re disappointed,” skipper Fernandes said after the defeat. “I think we could have got something from the game.

    “I think the effort from the team was there. Everyone tried really hard to get the result today, but it wasn’t possible.

    “I said at half-time I felt that the team was doing everything we could to defend our box.

    “We know that at moments we had to defend deep and be together and be compact and help each other.

     

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Manchester City (@mancity)

     

    “We did it but obviously I think today the difference was the individual quality from the players of City that made them win this game.”

    The gulf in quality was clear to anyone watching, although under-fire boss Erik ten Hag believes the gap would be closer if United were not beset by injuries.

    Such issues have undoubtedly hurt the Red Devils in a second season to forget for the Dutchman, whose side are an eye-watering 19 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool with 11 matches remaining.

    If that was not bad enough, Ten Hag’s side are facing an uphill battle even to secure a return to European football’s top table.

    United sit sixth, 11 points off fourth-placed Aston Villa and six points behind Tottenham – who have a game in hand – in fifth spot, which could yet be enough for Champions League qualification.

    “We need to look forward,” Fernandes told MUTV, as attention now turns to the Saturday lunchtime encounter with embattled Everton.

    “We don’t depend only on ourselves to get in the positions we want. We’re not hiding from that.

    “We want to be in the Champions League, we want to try until the end of the season to get into that fourth place.

    “That gives you the possibility to be in the Champions League, so we know it’s going to be hard, but we have to do everything that is on our hands that we can do.

    “Going to the next game at home, we know that our fans will be there again, over and over again.

    “They’re being behind us, they push us and next game we have to go there and win that game.”

  • On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea

    On this day in 2012, Andre Villas-Boas left Chelsea as former midfielder Roberto Di Matteo was appointed interim manager until the end of the season.

    Villas-Boas, 34, lost the job he had held for just eight months less than 24 hours after a 1-0 defeat at West Brom which left the Blues sitting in fifth place in the Premier League table and having won just five of their previous 15 games in all competitions.

    The Portuguese had been recruited at great expense – around £13.3million – as Carlo Ancelotti’s replacement by then Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in June 2011 and handed the task of overhauling an ageing squad after winning a remarkable quadruple with Porto.

    However, he quickly found himself under pressure and reports of dressing room unrest coupled with faltering form prompted the club to act ahead of an FA Cup trip to Birmingham and an impending Champions League showdown with Napoli.

    In a statement, they said: “Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

    “The club is still competing in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.

    “With that in mind, we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.”

    Assistant Di Matteo was placed in temporary charge and made rather a good fist of it, at least initially.

    The Italian guided Chelsea to FA Cup final victory over Liverpool and then famously at the Allianz Arena, a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final as Didier Drogba, whose late header had taken the game to extra time, converted the decisive spot-kick to complete Abramovich’s quest for European glory.

    Di Matteo’s reward was a permanent two-year contract, although his reign too proved short-lived when he was sacked after just five months at the helm.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.