Casemiro 'as determined as ever' to win trophies at Man Utd as he completes Madrid switch

By Sports Desk August 22, 2022

Casemiro is "as determined as ever" to win trophies with Manchester United following confirmation of his transfer from Real Madrid.

United confirmed last week an agreement had been reached with Madrid, and the reported £60million (€70m) deal officially went through on Monday.

The 30-year-old bade an emotional farewell to Madrid at a news conference prior to travelling to Old Trafford for United's clash with fierce rivals Liverpool.

And after being paraded on the pitch ahead of kick-off, United announced on their website that Casemiro has penned a four-year deal with the option of a further 12 months.

Vastly experienced Brazil international Casemiro won 18 trophies in his decade with Madrid, including five Champions Leagues, and is eager to land more silverware in England.

"The opportunity to start a new challenge at Manchester United and in the Premier League is extremely exciting," he said.

"I've worked with many great managers in my career, and having met with Erik [ten Hag] and heard his ideas, I can't wait to work closely with him, his staff and my new team-mates in the coming years.

"I'm ending one beautiful journey in Madrid whilst starting another in Manchester as determined as ever to win football matches, win trophies and make our fans proud by bringing success to this great club.

"Everybody knows the history of Manchester United, the significance of the club around the world and what it means to its supporters. 

"To represent United is an honour and I am ready to give everything to help the team achieve our ambitions."

Casemiro has played over 550 games in his career and has 22 trophies to his name, including Copa America success with Brazil, whom he is expected to represent in this year's World Cup.

He becomes United's fourth signing of the window following the arrivals of Lisandro Martinez, Tyrell Malacia and Christian Eriksen.

"Casemiro is a serial winner and one of the best midfielders in world football; his exceptional record speaks for itself," said United football director John Murtough.

"He compliments the skillsets of the squad and will be a great addition to the dressing room with his experience, knowledge and character.

"I know that Casemiro remains as determined as ever to be successful on the pitch and we look forward seeing that happen in a Manchester United shirt."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement Rumour Has It: Chelsea on verge of finalising £52m Nkunku deal after reaching Leipzig agreement

    Christopher Nkunku has long been inked with Chelsea, with reports he had undergone a medical in September.

    The 25-year-old Frenchman netted 20 goals in the Bundesliga last season and already has 12 this term.

    The Blues are undergoing a period of change under owner Todd Boehly and new head coach Graham Potter – and could be about to land a big-name target.

     

    TOP STORY - NKUNKU'S CHELSEA DEAL SET TO BE SIGNED

    Chelsea are on the cusp of finalising the deal for RB Leipzig forward Nkunku with contracts set to be signed, reports Fabrizio Romano.

    The Blues have reached an agreement with Nkunku's German club Leipzig for more than £52million (€60m).

    Nkunku, who was ruled out of the World Cup earlier this month due to a knee injury, will apparently pen a long-term deal starting from June 2023.

    ROUND-UP

    - ESPN has reported that  Lionel Messi has not agreed to a deal to join Inter Miami from Paris Saint-Germain following reports that he is on the verge of a deal with the Major League Soccer club.

    Chelsea are reportedly not willing to let Christian Pulisic depart on loan in January, amid links with Premier League trio Manchester United, Newcastle United and Arsenal. The Blues would prefer a permanent deal for the United States international.

    - Sky Sport's Florian Plettenberg claims RB Leipzig's Konrad Laimer has reached a verbal agreement to join Bayern Munich at the end of this season, with a view to a long-term deal until 2027.

    Edin Dzeko is set to earn a new one-year deal with Inter, according to Gazzetta. But the 36-year-old must accept a pay cut, from about €5.5m to €3m per season (plus bonuses).

    - Ecuador international midfielder Moises Caicedo, who is currently on Brighton and Hove Albion's books, is drawing interest from Manchester United, claims Sky Germany.

    - Fabrizio Romano reports Brighton are in talks with Molde to sign 19-year-old Ivorian striker David Datro Fofana. The Norwegian club want more than €10m (£8.6m) for him.

  • Uruguay unlikely to shift Real Madrid star Valverde forward after consecutive scoreless outings Uruguay unlikely to shift Real Madrid star Valverde forward after consecutive scoreless outings

    Uruguay head coach Diego Alonso believes his Real Madrid star Federico Valverde is best suited as a defensive midfielder, but that the team will need to perform better as a whole to allow him to "shine more".

    Alonso's comments came after Monday's disappointing 2-0 loss to Portugal, leaving Uruguay alongside Mexico and Tunisia as the only teams without a goal through two matches.

    Following their failure to score in their 0-0 opener against South Korea, Uruguay were well-handled by the Portuguese, controlling only 40 per cent of the possession, although they only narrowly trailed in expected goals 1.33 to 1.27.

    Not short on talent, Uruguay fielded a starting XI that included Liverpool's Darwin Nunez and 135-cap veteran Edinson Cavani up front, while Tottenham's Rodrigo Betancur partnered Valverde in midfield.

    Having played both in central midfield and on the wing for Madrid, Valverde was deployed in the engine room against Portugal, and despite their desperation for goals, Alonso made it clear that is where he feels the 24-year-old is most valuable.

    "I think Federico has played full matches with us in the qualifying round," he said. "He’s played in the same position, even playing higher up. 

    "I think he played as a defensive midfielder with a second pivot together with Bentancur. It's the same position that you saw today. He was even playing higher up, or as a wide midfielder. 

    "I think his main skill is playing through the central lanes. With us, he's showed a great performance in that position.

    "When you talk about shooting, I think he shot once [against Korea], it just missed the top corner. He was unlucky he couldn't score. 

    "For us, he's an important player with many skills. When the team plays better, I'm sure he will shine more."

    Despite their lack of potency going forward, Uruguay still have a chance to advance to the knockout stage if they can defeat Ghana in their final Group H fixture – a rematch from 2010's quarter-final where Uruguay advanced on penalties.

    "We are looking for victory against Ghana, there is no doubt about it," Alonso said. "If we have to make slight modifications, that is what we'll do. 

    "We will provide a team all the weapons we have at hand, so I have full trust in my players. I'm sure the next game will be hard, but we will go all out so that we have a victory and we qualify.

    "We are talking about qualifying or not qualifying. It was very important back in [2010], but this is a different situation. It will be a crucial game, but has nothing to do with what happened 12 years ago.

    "We need to feel free and move freely as we played during the second half against Korea. We need to gamble more and push forward, playing in between the lines and going for one-on-ones on the sides. 

    "Sometimes, opponents also play, they stop you, they know which are your main skills and they try to counter your play. But we need to continue trusting our team, our skills, the players we have, and to also give them trust to develop their game."

  • Arsenal-Man City Premier League date confirmed after Europa League postponement Arsenal-Man City Premier League date confirmed after Europa League postponement

    Arsenal have confirmed a new date for their Premier League game with Manchester City, with the pair now set to face off on February 15.

    The two teams had been set to meet on October 19, in a crucial bout with both teams in the midst of an early campaign title battle.

    But the game was forced off the schedule in order to make way for the Gunners' Europa League match with PSV Eindhoven, with the latter match having been postponed in the wake of the death of HM Queen Elizabeth II.

    Now the club has confirmed a new date, with Mikel Arteta's side hoping they remain at the top of the pile heading into their encounter.

    "Our home Premier League clash with Manchester City has been rearranged for Wednesday, February 15," read a club statement.

    "The game was previously arranged for October 19 but was postponed to allow us to fulfil our Europa League commitments."

    Arsenal and City's title fight this year has painted an intriguing portrait for the two clubs, particularly with Arteta – assistant to Pep Guardiola before his return to north London –having raided his old team for new recruits.

    In Gabriel Jesus and Oleksandr Zinchenko, the Gunners have acquired two players who have been among their key performers this term, helping them to mount challenges both at home and abroad in Europe.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.