England's record goalscorer White announces retirement at 33 after winning Euro 2022

By Sports Desk August 22, 2022

Ellen White has announced her retirement at the age of 33, finishing her career as England women's all-time leading goalscorer.

Manchester City forward White was in the first England women's team to lift a major trophy when she was part of the squad that won the Euro 2022 title at Wembley Stadium in July, beating Germany 2-1 in the final.

She came through the Arsenal academy before leaving to join Chelsea in 2005, where she spent three seasons before joining Leeds United.

During her time at Leeds, she scored on her England debut in a 3-0 win over Austria in March 2010.

White returned to Arsenal later in the year and stayed for three years, winning three league titles and two FA Cups in a successful spell.

She then spent time with Notts County and Birmingham City, before making the move to City. In February 2021, she became the all-time record goal scorer in the Women's Super League.

White became England's record scorer when she netted a hat-trick in a 20-thrashing of Latvia last year, and her shining moment came when she helped the Lionesses to European glory on home soil. She scored twice across six appearances in the tournament.

She scored 52 goals for her country, having won 113 caps.

In a statement on social media, White said: "This has been one of the hardest decisions of my life but one that I know is the right decision for me.

"And this is my time to say goodbye to football and watch the next generation shine. It has been my greatest honour and privilege to play this game.

"In particular playing for England has and always will be the greatest gift. My dreams came true on July 31, winning the Euros and becoming a European champion.

"Finally, let’s use the momentum from the Euro's win to make sure that every young person in all communities has the opportunity to play and feel connected to all England football teams."

Related items

  • Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica

    Talented Bournemouth winger Jaidon Anthony insists he is in no hurry to decide his future with both international teams England and Jamaica being options at this point.

    In truth the 22-year-old winger might not be a major consideration for either country at this point, having not secured much time on the pitch in the English Premier League (EPL).

    In total the player has made only 12 appearances but has shown plenty of ability with the 3 goals he has scored so far.  At Bournemouth, Antony is teammates with Jamaica international Jamal Lowe who has already attempted to sell the young player on representing the Caribbean team.  At this point in time, however, he insists he is not yet ready to consider it.

    “My mum and my dad are both from Jamaica as well. I have got good heritage from there,” Anthony told the Beautiful Game Podcast.

    “It would be an honour to represent either.  One of my team-mates, Jamal Lowe, plays for Jamaica. He’s always saying you need to come!

    “I have only been playing professional football for two years. I don’t want to rush any decisions. We will see what happens.”

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    I’m ready now – Whisper

  • Xhaka in shirt controversy as Switzerland advance Xhaka in shirt controversy as Switzerland advance

    Granit Xhaka found himself at the centre of another controversy involving Serbia after donning a shirt with 'Jashari' on the back following Switzerland’s 3-2 win in Doha on Friday.

    Xhaka produced a man of the match display as the Swiss hit back from 2-1 down to secure second place in Group G and advance to a last-16 clash with Portugal on Tuesday.

    But his actions after the final whistle could attract the attention of FIFA.

    In the post-match celebrations, Xhaka put on a shirt carrying the name 'Jashari'. Asked afterwards what it meant, the Arsenal midfielder claimed it was for Switzerland squad member Ardon Jashari.

    However, the name carries significance in other ways with Adem Jashari a late founder of the Kosovo Liberation Army, a Kosovo Albanian separatist group that fought for independence from the former Yugoslavia.

    Xhaka is of ethnic Albanian heritage linked to Kosovo, which declared independence in 2008 but has not been recognised by Serbia. 

    Asked about the shirt afterwards, Xhaka said: "There’s no political background to it whatsoever.

    "Ardon is part of our squad and we spend a lot of time together. I told him if we won I would wear his shirt."

    Xhaka was a key figure throughout a feisty encounter. He also prompted a second-half melee that saw the Serbia bench encroach on to the pitch after making a crude gesture, thought to be in the direction of substitute goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic, whose personal life has been the subject of speculation this week.

    Switzerland boss Murat Yakin said he will "wait and see" if action is taken against Xhaka.

    "We will enjoy this moment, it cost us a lot of emotions and energy. It was a fair match," he said.

    "Before the game a lot of people were talking about the situation but we were able to face that challenge.

    "We are happy we are moving on. Everything else is speculation and we will wait and see."

    On the incident involving Rajkovic, Yakin added: "What I saw was a Granit Xhaka who was focused fully on football and performed very well. I saw the players from Serbia crossing the line, and others trying to calm them down. It was a normal exchange."

    It is not the first time Xhaka has been embroiled in controversy against Serbia. At the 2018 World Cup in Russia, he and Xherdan Shaqiri were fined after crossing their hands to mimic the eagle displayed on the Albanian flag in Switzerland’s 2-1 win.

    Shaqiri also played his part in Switzerland's victory here, scoring the opening goal at Stadium 974, but appeared annoyed to be taken off after 69 minutes.

    "No-one likes to be subbed," Yakin said. "Every player wants to play the whole game, but it’s part of my responsibility to protect players. He scored his goal and had a great assist.

    "The substitutes brought great energy and I thought they did well."

    The flashpoints overshadowed a wonderful game with Switzerland’s greater composure at key moments proving decisive.

    Serbia coach Dragan Stojkovic praised his players but lamented the fact so many were struggling for fitness throughout their time in Qatar. He also insisted he had no intention of resigning.

    He said: "We are not happy with the result but, given the problems we faced from our arrival here and the injuries we had to contend with, it was too much for us to cope with.

    "The guys put up a fight but at this level that is not enough.

    "As for my future, in March we start the qualifiers for the European Championship and we have a great desire to qualify."

    Stojkovic claimed not to hear any of the chants that prompted an announcement over the public address system asking fans to refrain from discriminatory songs or gestures, thought to originate from sections housing Serbian supporters.

  • Brazil waiting on Neymar news as Tite dismisses idea of 'easy' draw Brazil waiting on Neymar news as Tite dismisses idea of 'easy' draw

    Tite warned Brazil must be "very careful" in the knockout stage of the World Cup, when they will hope to have Neymar back from injury.

    The Selecao lost 1-0 to Cameroon on Friday but still topped Group G, meaning they will face South Korea in the second round, rather than Portugal.

    Spain's defeat the previous day appeared to open up the draw further for Brazil, who would now play the winner of Japan's clash with Croatia in the quarter-finals.

    Regardless of their opponents, Brazil will feel more comfortable once Neymar is back in action, but he has not yet trained with a ball following his matchday one injury.

    Team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar added: "With 72 hours before the next match, we have time on our side. We still have possibilities."

    With or without his star man, coach Tite certainly will not become complacent, explaining: "Brazil lost to Cameroon. Portugal lost to South Korea. France lost to Tunisia. Argentina lost to Saudi Arabia. I think the results speak for themselves.

    "I think these are very strong, very tough matches. I don't think we can think any prior situation makes it easy. We need to be very careful.

    "We were very careful with the match against Cameroon. We were. We had all of those cares, we took them. They had their merits, played vertically very well. They have merit for the victory like Tunisia and the others.

    "We can't say it's easier and we have an advantage. We can't say that."

    Tite had made nine changes to his Brazil team, selecting an entirely different XI to that which started their finals opener.

    But he said: "Who lost? All of us. Our preparation is joint preparation, our wins are joint wins, our losses are also joint losses."

    The coach called on Brazil to "feel the loss", saying: "The World Cup doesn't give you a second chance, but this time it did.

    "We have to concentrate for 24 hours, suffer for 24 hours, and tomorrow we start getting ready."

    Besides Neymar's progress, there was mixed news on the injury front, with Alex Sandro still recovering alongside the forward but Danilo set to train normally on Saturday.

    That is a timely boost as Alex Telles and Gabriel Jesus are set for scans on knee injuries sustained against Cameroon.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.