Perez 'proud of history' as Casemiro bids farewell to Real Madrid ahead of Man Utd transfer

By Sports Desk August 22, 2022

Real Madrid are "very proud of the history" Casemiro has made at Santiago Bernabeu, ahead of his transfer to Manchester United.

That is according to club president Florentino Perez, who spoke glowingly of the 30-year-old at his farewell ceremony on Monday.

Casemiro brings the curtain down on a nine-and-a-half-year stint at Madrid this week, as he nears a move to Manchester United.

A mainstay of the great Madrid side that won a trilogy of Champions League triumphs under Zinedine Zidane, Casemiro leaves as one of their most decorated stars.

Speaking ahead of the player's own farewell words, Perez delivered a glowing tribute to the outgoing player, stating that he departs as a "legend".

"We're very proud of the history you have made at this club," he stated. "Real Madrid is a very demanding club, but you've not only been able to cope with it, but also made it better.

"You've been a role model for this club, and everybody admires you for the commitment you have given since the day of your arrival. You have given the best for this club and your attitude and talent has taken you very far.

"It’s not easy to close this impressive cycle of your career at Real Madrid. You've won 18 trophies; five Champions League titles, three Super Cups, three LaLiga titles.

"For everything that you've given this club you have the right to take your own decisions, as far as the future is concerned. You leave after being voted man of the match in the Super Cup final.

"I'm very proud of you, and our fans are too. You are joining a legendary club, Manchester United, to continue to make history. Regardless of where you are going to be in the future, you will always be an example here.

"You have achieved so much. You are leaving the club as a Real Madrid legend. Thank you very much for helping us make history at Real Madrid."

Related items

  • Rashford did not deserve England spot for Euro 2024, says Ten Hag Rashford did not deserve England spot for Euro 2024, says Ten Hag

    Marcus Rashford's poor form for Manchester United meant he could have no complaints about being left out of England's Euro 2024 squad, believes his club boss Erik ten Hag.

    Along with Manchester City's Jack Grealish, Rashford was a surprise omission from Gareth Southgate's party for the tournament in Germany.

    Anthony Gordon, Eberechi Eze and Jarrod Bowen were among the wide players preferred to Rashford, who had been a mainstay in the Three Lions' squad since making his first tournament appearance at Euro 2016.

    Rashford scored just seven goals in 33 Premier League appearances in 2023-24 as the Red Devils limped to an eighth-place finish – their lowest in the competition's history.

    Only in 2015-16, 2016-17 (both five) and 2021-22 (four) has Rashford scored fewer goals in a top-flight campaign. 

    Speaking in his role as a pundit for NOS on Sunday, Rashford's club manager said the forward had not done enough to be considered for his country.

    "Grealish and Rashford were both lacking this season. And when you are lacking, you risk not getting picked for your country," Ten Hag said.

    Ten Hag's job was thought to be under threat as United enter their first full season under the Jim Ratcliffe regime, but it was confirmed last week he will stay at the helm.

    He was asked on Sunday whether he had any desire to manage the Netherlands in the future, but he maintains he is content at Old Trafford.

    "I've never been chasing anything," Ten Hag said. "I'm very happy with where I am now. And I want to make the most of it."

  • Ten Hag reveals Man Utd future was settled 'on holiday in Ibiza' Ten Hag reveals Man Utd future was settled 'on holiday in Ibiza'

    Erik ten Hag revealed his Manchester United future was settled whilst on holiday in Ibiza, though he is yet to agree a contract extension at Old Trafford.

    The Dutchman's future with the Red Devils was in doubt following a disappointing 2023-24 season, in which they recorded their lowest Premier League finish of eighth.

    Although Ten Hag, who has a year remaining on his existing contract, did lead United to FA Cup glory following a 2-1 victory over rivals Manchester City in the final at Wembley.

    The club's new co-owner Jim Ratcliffe reportedly spoke to several candidates to potentially replace the Dutchman, including former Chelsea and Bayern Munich boss Thomas Tuchel.

    Ten Hag confirmed this, before United officials visited him to confirm he would remain in charge, and they would extend his stay at Old Trafford.

    "The club management came to me while I was on holiday in Ibiza," he told Dutch TV channel NOS. "They suddenly showed up on my doorstep and told me they wanted to continue with me."

    "Ineos took their time. They are new to football; it's normal to reflect on the season. It's no secret that they talked with multiple candidates.

    "In the Netherlands, that is not done. You are not even allowed to talk to another club if there is a current manager there. But in England, the rules and laws are different.

    "Manchester United have told me that they spoke with Tuchel, but they eventually came to the conclusion that they already have the best manager.

    "We had a good discussion and various topics were discussed. One of the conclusions is that we will extend the contract, but we still have to reach an agreement."

  • No changes as Brazil confirm final Copa America squad No changes as Brazil confirm final Copa America squad

    Dorival Junior has stuck with the same 26-man squad he provisionally selected for Brazil's 2024 Copa America campaign.

    Juventus' Bremer, Atalanta midfielder Ederson and Porto forward Pepe were all called up when CONMEBOL announced the squads were being expanded from 23 players to 26.

    The Brazilian had already had to make changes after Manchester City's Ederson was ruled out due to an injury sustained at the end of the Premier League season, with Rafael brought in to replace him.

    Lucas Paqueta also keeps his place after the Brazilian Football Association (CBF) confirmed he would be allowed to stay with the squad despite being charged by the England Football Association (FA) for allegedly breaching betting rules.

    Casemiro, Gabriel Jesus and Thiago Silva had already been left out of the provisional squad announced in May, while Richarlison and Neymar are both missing due to injury.

    Brazil are nine-time winners of the Copa America and will begin their campaign against Costa Rica on June 24 before also facing Paraguay and Colombia in Group D.

    Final Brazil squad: Alisson (Liverpool), Bento (Atletico PR), Rafael (Sao Paolo), Beraldo (PSG), Bremer (Juventus), Eder Militao (Real Madrid), Gabriel (Arsenal), Marquinhos (PSG), Danilo (Juventus), Yan Couto (Girona), Guilherme Arana (Atletico MG), Wendell (Porto), Andreas Pereira (Fulham), Bruno Guimaraes (Newcastle), Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), Ederson (Atalanta), Joao Gomes (Wolves), Lucas Paqueta (West Ham), Endrick (Palmeiras), Evanilson (Porto), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Pepe (Porto), Raphinha (Barcelona), Rodrygo (Real Madrid), Savinho (Girona), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid).

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.