Sevilla to sign Isco after Real Madrid release

By Sports Desk August 07, 2022

Sevilla have announced an agreement in principle to sign Spain international Isco on a free transfer.

The 30-year-old brought an end to a nine-year stint with Real Madrid following the expiration of his contract in June, having fallen down the pecking order since Carlo Ancelotti's return to the club.

Isco departed the Spanish capital with a stacked trophy cabinet that includes three La Liga titles and five Champions League triumphs.

Capped 38 times by Spain, though his last call up was in 2019, Isco's move to Sevilla will see him reunite with former national team boss Julen Lopetegui – who also had a brief stint at Real Madrid.

Sevilla confirmed Isco would undergo medical tests on Monday ahead of signing a two-year deal with the club.

The club commence their 2022-23 season at Osasuna on Friday.

Related items

  • Barca injury woes worsen as Kessie sustains thigh injury in training Barca injury woes worsen as Kessie sustains thigh injury in training

    Barcelona have lost another player to injury after announcing midfielder Frank Kessie pulled up in training on Wednesday.

    The Ivory Coast international, who was a late substitute in Tuesday's 1-0 Champions League loss at Inter, strained an adductor muscle in his right thigh.

    Barca said in a statement that the 25-year-old's injury will be monitored, but no timeframe has been put on his return to action.

    He has played eight times for the Catalan giants since joining as a free agent from Milan in the close season, six of those coming as a substitute.

    Kessie's injury came on the same day Barca confirmed Andreas Christensen suffered a ligament sprain during the highly contentious defeat to Inter.

    They join Ronald Araujo, Jules Kounde, Hector Bellerin, Frenkie de Jong and Memphis Depay on the sidelines during a gruelling run of fixtures for Barca.

    Xavi's side host Celta Vigo and Inter in LaLiga and the Champions League respectively over the next week, before taking on Real Madrid in a top-of-the-table Clasico on October 16.

  • Xabi Alonso replaces Seoane at Bayer Leverkusen Xabi Alonso replaces Seoane at Bayer Leverkusen

    Xabi Alonso has replaced Gerardo Seoane as Bayer Leverkusen's head coach.

    Former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich midfielder Alonso coached Real Sociedad B between June 2019 and May 2022, having previously worked in Los Blancos's youth system.

    The 40-year-old has now been handed his first head coach role at the top level on a two-year deal, with Leverkusen opting to part ways with Seaone after a dismal start to the season has left them sitting 17th in the Bundesliga.

    "Gerardo Seoane has done a good job for Bayer 04 over the past year and a half, above all by qualifying for the Champions League," said sporting director Simon Rolfes. 

    "Unfortunately, we have strayed from the road to success. From our point of view, the early elimination from the DFB-Pokal, but especially the fact that the current position in the Bundesliga is far below our expectations, made the change of coach imperative.

    "In Xabi Alonso, we have signed a coach who, as a player, was an absolute world-class professional for many years, an intelligent strategist and extremely successful in three of the most demanding European leagues."

    Alonso, who helped Spain win the 2010 World Cup, made 79 Bundesliga appearances for Bayern between 2014 and his 2017 retirement, winning three successive league titles under Pep Guardiola and Carlo Ancelotti.

    "I know Leverkusen from my time in Germany as an excellent club," Alonso told his new team's official website. 

    "Bayer 04 have always had great players, and I see a lot of quality in the current squad too.

    "During discussions with the club, it quickly became clear that, despite the current difficult situation, ambitious goals are still being pursued in principle. I am very excited about this task and I am sure that we will live up to this claim."

    Seaone's final game in charge was a 2-0 Champions League loss at Porto on Tuesday, Leverkusen's fourth defeat in their last five away games in the competition. 

  • Southgate believes England will be stronger for poor run as World Cup approaches Southgate believes England will be stronger for poor run as World Cup approaches

    Gareth Southgate believes England have grown stronger as a result of their poor form ahead of the World Cup, as he pledged to stand firm on his selections.

    England suffered a humiliating relegation from the top tier of the Nations League last month, finishing their campaign with three points – and no wins – from six games.

    The Three Lions begin their World Cup campaign against Iran on November 21, and their six-match winless run is their longest such sequence going into a major tournament.  

    Southgate was jeered by England supporters in the aftermath of a 1-0 defeat to Italy on September 23 and has been criticised for standing by Manchester United's struggling defender Harry Maguire.

    Speaking at Monday's Legends of Football event in aid of Nordoff Robbins Music, Southgate accepted criticism of his decisions, but maintained he must sometimes resist "popular appeal".

    "I think everybody in the country can see we're trying to accomplish extraordinary things," he said. "To accomplish extraordinary things is incredibly difficult. 

    "This is a job where every decision, every selection is questioned, debated, ridiculed. That's just by my postman, by the way!

    "Column inches are full, airwaves are filled. As a manager, you're not going to get every decision right.

    "But I have to be strong enough to withstand popular appeal for something and do what I really believe gives us the best chance to win. 

    "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, and blaming it on you. If you can trust yourself, when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too. That doubting, that noise that surrounds us is because people care. They're passionate. 

    "They just want to win, and I understand that. And if we don't win for six matches, then quite rightly, I have to accept that criticism. 

    "That's what goes with our job. If nobody cared or commented, then it wouldn't be the great and incredible challenge that it is."

    England failed to score an open-play goal in their first five Nations League games, before coming from 2-0 down to lead 3-2 in last week's thrilling draw with Germany, but Southgate believes the team's poor run could benefit them heading to Qatar.

    "Milan was painful. I knew walking over to our fans that it wasn't going to end well. But I wasn't going to take a backward step," Southgate added.

    "I've enjoyed the warmth and the adulation, so you've got to ride with the discomfort as well.

    "Against Germany, I think we showed what we're capable of, good and bad. It showed there is character there. As a team, I think we'll be better for that challenging period we've just been through.

    "You wouldn't choose to go into a World Cup with the run of results we've had, but I actually think we're stronger for that and the players have had to take some ownership. 

    "Those moments, like coming back from to 2-0 down and hearing the roof lift off Wembley, are hard to describe."

    With England reaching the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 and finishing as runners-up at Euro 2020, expectations surrounding the Three Lions have undoubtedly risen.

    "In seven weeks' time, I get to lead my country to another World Cup. We have players I'm proud to lead, who give us everything," Southgate said.

    "We want to bring people together, create memories and history. I've said before the last two tournaments: if we can make people proud, we'll have had an amazing time.

    "I know that the bar of what might be deemed success is raised and getting higher for us. But as a team, we have to focus on performance, and the rest will fall into place.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.