Women's Euros: Wiegman emphasises team effort in England tournament success

By Sports Desk July 31, 2022

Sarina Wiegman paid tribute to the players, who interrupted her media conference, and the staff as she celebrated guiding England to success in the Women's European Championship final.

The Lionesses overcame Germany 2-1 after extra-time at Wembley, with substitutes Ella Toone and Chloe Kelly scoring either side of Lina Magull's equaliser.

The win means that Wiegman has won back-to-back Euros, having lifted the 2017 trophy while in charge of her native Netherlands.

Speaking at a media conference after the trophy celebrations, Wiegman said: "What we have done is really incredible. I didn't follow everything [in the media] but I knew that England was behind us.

"Over the tournament we have had so much support from our fans. I am so proud of the team, the staff, and the support at The FA."

Wiegman has won all 12 of her matches in charge at the Women's Euros, with her teams scoring 35 goals and conceding just five in the process.

She was asked what made the difference in what had been a tight game at Wembley Stadium, but before she could answer she was interrupted by the entire England squad coming into the room and dancing around, singing "Football's coming home".

After composing herself, Wiegman was asked if football had come home, to which she replied: "We won the cup, I guess 'home' is in Switzerland [UEFA HQ] or wherever."

She also revealed her celebration tipple, saying: "For the first time in years I had a beer. I don't [usually] like it but I drank it, and I liked it too."

Wiegman added that she would need some time to process that she has won two Euros tournaments, and also revealed that she kissed her wrist after the win as a tribute to her late sister, before crediting her for Germany hitting the woodwork in the second half.

"After we had the trophy, I thought 'this is really incredible'… I think I need some time to realise [winning two in a row].

"The armband on my wrist, it was my sister's, who passed away… I think she was here and she was on the crossbar."

The Lionesses manager also revealed what is next for her European champions, saying: "First, we are going to party.

"We should be really proud of ourselves, the development of this game has gone so fast that many countries could win this tournament. Germany, France, Spain, Sweden, even more countries. So it's not easy to win this tournament.

"Now it’s time to party, have some time off, then prepare for the World Cup qualifiers and go again."

Related items

  • Deschamps dismisses suggestion Mbappe 'ego' would influence team selection Deschamps dismisses suggestion Mbappe 'ego' would influence team selection

    France boss Didier Deschamps dismissed suggestions striker Kylian Mbappe has an ego, and denied the Paris Saint-Germain star would influence his team selection for Wednesday's game against Tunisia.

    Les Bleus have already secured their place in the knockout stage following wins over Australia and Denmark, meaning Deschamps is set to make several changes to his side for the Group D match at Education City Stadium.

    Deschamps was not willing to go into detail on his starting XI but swatted aside a question implying Mbappe's ego would mean he'd demand to start.

    "His fitness is fine so we don't need to manage that, so you are saying we have to manage his ego?" he said.

    "What do you know about that? I know but you don't. Kylian doesn't have a big ego, that's not true.

    "He's a key player but he's a team player. Of course, he's a star but he's not 18 years old anymore, he's more experienced.

    "He wants to play tomorrow but not all of them can start the match, that's normal.

    "You can imagine lots of things but I have a lot of factors to take into account. And my information is first hand, straight from the horse's mouth."

    Tunisia must beat France and hope Denmark avoid defeat by Australia to be in contention to qualify, and Deschamps knows he has to balance his squad's needs with the integrity of the competition.

    He added: "We are going through so we don't need to go all out for the victory, and it looks like we are going to win the group.

    "But this is a World Cup game against an opponent that needs a result go through, and Australia and Denmark are also playing for their qualification. We will try to get the best result possible.

    "I am going to have to manage the squad, I have a lot of things to take into account. I have some more time to make my decision - you will find out tomorrow - but yes, there will be changes, I just can't tell you how many."

    There were reports on Monday that Deschamps' injury-hit squad may be boosted by the return of striker Karim Benzema, who sustained a recurrence of a thigh problem on the eve of the tournament, but has remained on France's squad list.

    Benzema has left Qatar to receive treatment but Les Bleus' boss was baffled by talk of an imminent comeback for the Ballon d'Or winner.

    "I am not sure, that's not something I am thinking about," he said. "Who is saying that?

    "I talked to Karim after he left the squad but you know the situation, you know how long it will take him to recover. It is up to you if you want to speculate and imagine scenarios, that's not what I am focusing on at the moment."

  • Del Piero open to helping Juventus as Italian giants look for new chairman and board Del Piero open to helping Juventus as Italian giants look for new chairman and board

    Alessandro Del Piero is open to helping Juventus as the Serie A giants begin their search for a chairman to replace Andrea Agnelli and an entire new board.

    Juve announced after an emergency meeting on Monday that Agnelli, vice-president Pavel Nedved and managing director Maurizio Arrivabene have all quit their roles.

    It comes amid an investigation into alleged tax fraud, which Juventus have denied, and on the back of the club registering a record loss of €254.3million for 2021-22. 

    Exor, who have a controlling stake in Juve, indicated on Tuesday that Gianluca Ferrero is in line to replace Agnelli as president.

    Any decision over who succeeds Agnelli, Nedved and Arrivabene is expected to be made at a shareholders' meeting on January 18.

    In what is another difficult period for the Turin side off the pitch, club legend Del Piero has indicated he is ready to aid Juve in any way possible – just as he did as a player.

    “You're asking the question to someone like me that spent almost 20 years there," Del Piero, who spent nine years with the Bianconeri, told beIN SPORTS. 

    "I got relegated with the team and I decided to stay so the relationships with me and the team, with the owners, the fans, are quite deep, very deep.

    "We've been through everything to reach the top of the world and the bottom point in the club's entire history. This great journey brought me here with you. 

    "It's something where every news regarding Juve is emotional for me and I'm going to stand by and see what's going to happen. 

    "I was with them this summer for the tour they did in Los Angeles where I lived, and also in Lisbon. I'm friends with Pavel and everybody. It's sad for me seeing this situation."
      
    Del Piero added: "I don't know the plan; nobody has called me. I don't know what's going to happen, but I know very well all that's happened. I still have a house in the city..."

    Juve were stripped of titles and relegated to Serie B in the 2006-07 campaign over the 'Calciopoli' scandal, but Del Piero does not expect any such punishments this time around.

    "This is not regarding the team; it's not going to affect the team in terms of relegation or other things," he said. 

    "It's going to affect the people because it's allegations ongoing about the people, not only the president but the other board members. This will affect them if there's proof."

  • 'Everything went wrong' - LeBron James rues latest loss after Lakers pipped by Pacers 'Everything went wrong' - LeBron James rues latest loss after Lakers pipped by Pacers

    LeBron James acknowledged "everything went wrong" for the Los Angeles Lakers after their last-gasp 116-115 loss to the Indiana Pacers.

    Andrew Nembhard hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer at the Crypto.com Arena to help his side secure victory after fighting back from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

    Defeat marks a second in four matches for the Lakers, who bounced back from their loss to the Phoenix Suns last week with back-to-back wins over the San Antonio Spurs.

    James, who posted 21 points in a tough outing, says he and his team-mates ultimately failed to shut the match down and ensure a hungry Pacers side could have no way back.

    "[You have] just got to finish the game," he stated. "Everything has to go wrong in order for you to lose a game like that.

    "Everything went wrong today. You tip your hat off to Indiana, they kept fighting, they kept pushing."

    Coach Darvin Ham took full responsibility for his side's late collapse and questioned how he can fix his team's inability to chase offensive action over the closing stages.

    "You get a lead like that and the free-throw line allows you to maintain your lead," he added. "I wish we'd been a lot more aggressive, [and] continued playing with pace.

    "That falls on me. I take responsibility for that. Late in the game, [we were] just giving up offensive rebounds. That's been something that has plagued us the last couple of games."

    The Lakers next welcome the Portland Trail Blazers on November 30, with the team mired in 13th place in the Western Conference.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.