Rumour Has It: West Ham increase bid for Lille midfielder Amadou Onana

By Sports Desk July 19, 2022

West Ham are reportedly confident they will be able to land 20-year-old Lille midfielder Amadou Onana after increasing their bid for the Belgium international.

Onana, who made his senior international debut on June 3 against the Netherlands in Nations League action, enjoyed a terrific first season in Ligue 1 after leaving Hamburg in Bundesliga 2 for a £6million fee.

The defensive midfielder totalled 41 club appearances in the season, including eight games in the Champions League, but the Hammers may face some competition for his signature from within the Premier League.

 

TOP STORY – WEST HAM SET SIGHTS ON LILLE'S BIG BELGIAN YOUNGSTER

According to The Athletic, West Ham had a £25million bid rejected by the French club, but the Evening Standard claims that the English side are confident an increased bid of £30m plus add-ons will get the job done.

However, The Athletic's report states that there is also interest in Onana coming from Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle United, which could throw a wrench in West Ham's plans.

West Ham appear to still have plenty of business to take care of, with the Evening Standard also linking them with a £30m move for 20-year-old Chelsea striker Armando Broja, as well as trying to convince Jesse Lingard to return after a successful loan stint in the latter half of the 2020-2021 season.

 

ROUND-UP

– According to Sport, Barcelona are trying to attach Memphis Depay to their offer for Sevilla centre-back Jules Kounde after not meeting the €65m asking price, while Marca claims Chelsea have already agreed to personal terms with him and have offered Sevilla €55m.

– AS is reporting that Atletico Madrid have enquired with Cristiano Ronaldo's representatives about the superstar's interest in joining the club.

Leeds United and West Ham are said to be competing for £34m Rennes striker Martin Terrier, according to L'Equipe.

– Calciomercato claims Paris Saint-Germain have been offering Georginio Wijnaldum to Roma and Milan in an effort to move him on from the club, despite arriving on a free transfer 12 months ago.

– Fabrizio Romano claims Manchester City have a bid ready to go for 23-year-old Brighton fullback Marc Cucurella to replace the outgoing Oleksandr Zinchenko.

Related items

  • Barcelona boss Xavi reveals he turned down opportunity to join Brazil Barcelona boss Xavi reveals he turned down opportunity to join Brazil

    Barcelona boss Xavi has revealed he was offered a role as part of Brazil's backroom team ahead of the World Cup, but turned it down to hold out for the top job with the Blaugrana.

    The former Spain international succeeded Ronald Koeman last year in charge at Camp Nou, and has helped to revive fortunes at the Catalan side since his arrival.

    Though his team have slipped into the Europa League for a second season running, they remain competitive in the domestic top-flight, sitting two points ahead of rivals Real Madrid at the World Cup break.

    Xavi has revealed he was approached by Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Rogerio Caboclo over a role with the Selecao during his time in charge at Al Sadd, but that he turned them down to hold out for Barca.

    "It was an opportunity [that came] through the president of the CBF," Xavi told ESPN. 

    "They [came] to Qatar, and they talked to me, [and asked if] I could be part of Tite's staff.

    "But I wanted to be a coach, not an assistant. My desire was to be a coach.

    "It would be a tremendous opportunity - it was [a chance] to make history, to be the first European to work in the Brazilian national team.

    "But, at that moment, it did not happen. I was clear that I wanted to be coach of Barcelona, ​​which was my dream, and here I am."

    However, Xavi teased he would not rule out taking up the chance if it was offered again, adding: "You never know. It would be a spectacular opportunity.

    "But my intention was to take over Barcelona. You never know about the future [though]. I'm working hard, and you can't rule anything out."

  • Casemiro gives his best to Ronaldo, unless they become opponents Casemiro gives his best to Ronaldo, unless they become opponents

    Casemiro is wishing the best to Cristiano Ronaldo following his exit from Manchester United, except in games in which they may face off in the near future.

    United confirmed on Tuesday that a mutual agreement had been reached for the termination of Ronaldo's contract, which was set to run until the end of the season.

    A seismic interview with Piers Morgan, in which Ronaldo widely criticised the club and manager Erik ten Hag, ultimately spelt the end for the Portuguese star's second spell at Old Trafford.

    Ronaldo's next destination is yet to be decided and Casemiro wished him success, apart from in potential games against United.

    "I didn't text him after that [interview]," the Brazil midfielder told a press conference on Saturday. "Cristiano is a very experienced guy, he knows what is good for his career.

    "Of course, we are sad there at Manchester for a player leaving, even more one of the best in the world.

    "He is already very experienced, right? He knows what is good for him. We, as friends, wish him all the luck, everything good in his life, except against me."

    Both Casemiro and Ronaldo are on duty representing their nations at the World Cup, enjoying victories against Serbia and Ghana respectively in their opening group matches.

    Their campaign continues on Monday, when Brazil face Switzerland in Group G and Portugal tackle Uruguay in Group H.

  • Ten Hag doing 'unbelievable job' but Man Utd must strengthen - Fortune Ten Hag doing 'unbelievable job' but Man Utd must strengthen - Fortune

    Erik ten Hag is doing an "unbelievable job" at Manchester United but the club must continue to strengthen, says their former midfielder Quinton Fortune.

    The ex-Ajax head coach replaced Ralf Rangnick in the Old Trafford dugout following an inconsistent 2021-22 season, which also saw Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sacked as United finished 13 points off the top four.

    The Red Devils lost their first two Premier League games under Ten Hag, but have gone on to register 26 points after the first 14 outings - five more than they managed at the same stage of the previous campaign.

    Fortune spent seven years at United under Alex Ferguson between 1999 and 2006, winning the Premier League title in the 2002-03 season.

    He is pleased with the strides made by his former club, who he hopes can land silverware under the Dutchman this term.

    "Ten Hag has done an unbelievable job compared to what I've seen last season," Fortune told Stats Perform.

    "I'm sure Ten Hag would like to win a trophy this season, because that's the nature of the game at the moment.

    "He's made so many good changes already, and you can see when you go to Old Trafford the positivity around the place about the way the team's playing."

    It is now 23 years since Fortune joined a United side who had just won an unprecedented treble of the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League the previous season.

    The former South Africa international believes it will take time for the Red Devils to return to those heights, but highlighted the importance of Ten Hag finding the right profile of players to improve the squad. 

    "Of course, he needs to make signings to strengthen the team and to have competition in the team," he added.

    "I was very fortunate that when I arrived in 1999 - just after we won the treble - there was competition for every position, and it was relentless in training.

    "It's not easy playing for Manchester United, the pressure that comes with it. So, they need to get the right characters that want to play for Manchester United.

    "They need players who have got the desire to win, and that fit in with the style of play and in the changing room.

    "That's just the nature of the culture at Manchester United - it's not about winning one trophy, it's winning every single trophy and trying to do it.

    "Yes, it will take a few windows for him to get the players that he wants, but at the moment for us, from what I've seen, it's looking very positive."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.