Barcelona move a 'no-brainer' for Lionesses star Bronze

By Sports Desk June 23, 2022

England defender Lucy Bronze says the choice to move to Barcelona was a "no-brainer" and that she always draws confidence from the interest of big teams.

The Lionesses full-back has made the switch to Spain from Manchester City, electing to stay in Europe despite speculation she was set to head to the United States for the next step in her career.

Having previously played for Lyon, where she was a three-time Champions League winner, it marks another move to the continent for the 87-cap veteran.

"I had offers from Lyon and Barca, the two best teams in the world. It wasn't bad to be able to pick from that and make my decision," Bronze stated.

"It gives me loads of confidence as a player knowing these big teams who are so successful want to sign me."

"I knew I wanted to play abroad again. My experience at Lyon was the best time and best moments in my career," she added.

"Going out and pushing myself into a different culture, a different experience, playing with the world's best players - to have the chance to do that again was a no-brainer.

"Maybe I can't hype doing the same experience again with Barca but I would love to. I've not had that experience in England quite the same as in Lyon.

"Hopefully, I can do it again."

Related items

  • Xabi Alonso: Bundesliga celebrations will not affect Leverkusen against West Ham Xabi Alonso: Bundesliga celebrations will not affect Leverkusen against West Ham

    Bayer Leverkusen boss Xabi Alonso had bad news for David Moyes after insisting there are no lingering hangovers from their historic Bundesliga title celebrations.

    Leverkusen clinched the first title in the club’s history when they beat Werder Bremen 5-0 on Sunday.

    But their attention is now focused on defending a 2-0 lead in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final at West Ham.

    Hammers boss Moyes admitted he hoped the Leverkusen players might have indulged in a few too many steins of German beer.

    But Alonso revealed: “A few of them, probably. But not too many. We had control.

    “For sure it was a moment to enjoy it. On Sunday we knew we had a chance so we took one day, in case of winning, to enjoy it.

    “But from Tuesday our mind has been focused on West Ham. Now it’s the Europa League and we have a great chance to make a great season even better.

    “The commitment, the way we’ve trained, give me reasons to believe we will play well tomorrow.

    “We have big challenges ahead. West Ham have good players, they have recent experience of beating Freiburg. We need to put in our best performance.

    “I don’t have any feeling that our mentality will be any different from the one that has given us this chance to reach the quarter-final.”

    Former Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka managed to achieve what Harry Kane could not do by winning the title in his first season in Germany.

    Kane’s switch from Tottenham to Bayern Munich was expected to end in Bundesliga glory but his new side have been left trailing in Leverkusen’s wake.

    “Before you transfer to another country you speak with the club and the coach about the plan and the philosophy,” said Xhaka.

    “But of course how we are playing is unbelievable, more than people were thinking before the season. I’m proud to be a part of this team.”

  • Jofra Archer: I don’t know if I’ve got another stop-start year in me Jofra Archer: I don’t know if I’ve got another stop-start year in me

    England bowler Jofra Archer admits he may not be able to cope with any fresh injury problems, revealing “I don’t know if I have another stop-start year in me”.

    Archer has been plagued by a litany of fitness problems since bursting on to the international scene in 2019 but is on the comeback trail with hopes of featuring in June’s T20 World Cup in the United States of America and his native Caribbean.

    The seamer is not yet certain if he will make the tournament, having last played competitively 11 months ago following a repeat stress fracture in his right elbow, but insists avoiding further setbacks is crucial.

    The mental and physical toll has been considerable on Archer and he accepts another breakdown could be one too far.

    “It’s been a while and honestly, I don’t know if I’ve got another stop-start year in me. That’s the truth, I don’t know if I’ve got another one,” he told the 4Cast’s Athlete’s Voice podcast.

    “I haven’t played cricket for a whole 12 months as yet. Last year I played from January to May. I think the year before that, I played maybe one or two games for Sussex, so you know I’ve had a whole year of nothing.”

    England are taking a cautious approach with his latest return, taking an early decision to withdraw him from the Indian Premier League and pre-emptively ruling him out of the rigours of Test cricket until next year.

    Instead they hope to unleash him in familiar territory in the West Indies, where they will look to defend their 20-over crown.

    He shares that ambition but is refusing to count on it.

    “Come the first game in June I really do want to be in the team. The last two years have been really stop-start, so I just think that, you know, everyone’s going to just take it a bit easy,” he said.

    “If I’m ready then fine, happy days, but if I’m not they’re still supporting me. Worst-case scenario, I don’t really want to think about this, but even if I don’t make it to the World Cup for whatever reason, there’s still the T20 Blast, there’s still The Hundred.

    “There’s still cricket that I haven’t got a chance to play in the last couple of years, so as much as I want to play in the World Cup, if it doesn’t happen for whatever reason, at least I still know I could be somewhat active.”

    And if Archer does manage to pull an England shirt back on during their visit to his home island of Barbados, he is expecting to see some friendly faces in the crowd.

    “I know it’s not dog friendly in the Caribbean as much as it is here in the UK, but I’d love my family and my dogs at that first game back,” he added.

  • Jamaica's participation in UEFA U-18 Friendship tournament aimed at player development Jamaica's participation in UEFA U-18 Friendship tournament aimed at player development

    The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has assembled an Under-18 team to contest a week-long tournament in Turkey, which is aimed at strengthening the country’s youth programme and, by extension, prepare players for future tournaments.

    With their being no FIFA or Concacaf Under-18 tournament to qualify for, JFF's technical committee chairman Rudolph Speid views this UEFA Under-18 Friendship tournament as part of the Under-20 qualifying programme and overall national team development.

    A 20-player team to be led by Lenworth ‘Teacha’ Hyde and former Reggae Boyz player Rudolph Austin, will depart the island of on Friday for Turkey, where they will cross swords with Saudi Arabia, the host nation, and Mali on April 22, 24 and 27, with cross zone games being played on April 30. Ecuador, Guatemala, Morocco and Slovakia, will contest Group B.

    “It is a development tournament. A lot of the players are eligible for the under-20 World Cup qualifiers, the younger ones of the group. The ones now taking part in the under-20 qualifiers are the 18 and 19-year-olds, so the 18-year-olds on the (youth) World Cup qualifying squad will be included here,” Speid said in a recent interview.

    This UEFA Friendship tournament is a new initiative aimed at creating opportunities for talented young players to gain additional experience playing international football against teams from different confederations.

    The tournament will provide a unique opportunity for technical staff and players to grow both on and off the pitch, as they will experience different playing styles and cultures.

    “It is just another way to try and develop the players and give them international exposure as part of the whole World Cup qualifying development programme. We are doing a lot of things to get the team up to standard to compete. Even if some of these guys don’t make it into the qualifying squad, the exposure will be good for them," Speid noted.

     

    Delegation: Players – Jordane McDowell (Portmore United), Javin Williams (Reno FC), Taywane Lynch (Mt. Pleasant), O'Neil Headley (Chapelton Maroon), Dustin Cohen (Vere United), Jloyd Smith (Cavalier FC), Daniel Clarke (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Arnett Gardens), Justin McPherson (Unattached), Nashardo Gibbs (Real Mona), Dylan John (Unattached), Orane Watson (Chapelton Maroon), Matthew Ellis (Cavalier FC), Ja-Son Whyte (Humble Lion), Ron Webb (FC Manchester), Deandre Gallimore (Chapelton Maroon), Alex James (Real Mona), Dantae Escoffery (Petersfield FC), Odane Wilberforce (Cavalier FC), Keyanni Jackson (Cavalier FC)

    Staff -Lenworth Hyde (Head coach), Rodolph Austin (Ass. coach), Andrew Sewell (Goalkeeper coach), Tyrese Palmer (Equipment Manager), Karen Clarke-Lumsden (Manager), Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Gregory Daley (Head of Delegation)

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.