Griezmann move 'impossible', says Athletic Bilbao presidential candidate

By Sports Desk June 22, 2022

A move to take Antoine Griezmann to Athletic Bilbao is "impossible" according to Inaki Arechabaleta, the presidential candidate who has pledged to appoint Marcelo Bielsa if he wins the club's upcoming elections.

Griezmann came through the ranks at Athletic's local rivals Real Sociedad, meaning the 2018 World Cup winner is often spoken about as a potential target for the club, who remain committed to a policy of only recruiting players hailing from the Basque Country.

Having returned to Atletico Madrid on a two-year loan deal from Barcelona last August, Griezmann struggled to tie down a regular starting spot during an injury-hit season.

He made fewer appearances in all competitions (36) than fellow forwards Angel Correa (49), Luis Suarez (45) and Matheus Cunha (37).

The 31-year-old's frustrating campaign in the Spanish capital had fuelled speculation he could be targeted by Athletic, particularly as prospective boss Bielsa attempted to sign the forward during his first spell at the club between 2011 and 2013.

But Arechabaleta says the France star's significant wages make such a move implausible at this stage.

"With Marcelo we have talked about the possibilities of signing players for Athletic and, therefore, we will be attentive to the possibilities we have to strengthen our squad," he told Spanish podcast El Partidazo de Cope.

On a potential move for Griezmann, he said: "He could be [a target] because it's part of the club's philosophy, but I think it's absolutely impossible.

"The problem is not whether Griezmann enters our philosophy. Griezmann is unattainable at the moment for salary and what you have to pay for him."

Meanwhile, Arechabaleta revealed he has been in contract with managerial target Bielsa since the immediate aftermath of his Leeds United dismissal in late February, as he prepares for the elections on June 24. 

"Marcelo is a great professional, one of the best in the world and is an asset, who joins a lot of assets that we have presented these days," he added.

"I had one of the first contacts in the month of March. The first thing he told me is that he really likes the Basque Country and Athletic, but that we should let him analyse the Spanish league and the current Athletic.

"He is a very up-to-date football genius."

Related items

  • Nottingham Forest sign free agent Andre Ayew Nottingham Forest sign free agent Andre Ayew

    Nottingham Forest have completed the signing of Ghana international Andre Ayew on a free transfer.

    The 33-year-old forward becomes the club's 30th signing since the end of last season, and was able to join after the closure of the January transfer window as he had been a free agent.

    Ayew, who had also been linked with a move to Everton, has penned a deal with the Premier League side until the end of the campaign.

    After leaving Qatari side Al Sadd, Ayew returns for his second spell in English football, having spent time at Swansea City and West Ham between 2015 and 2021.

    Ayew is reunited with manager Steve Cooper, who previously worked with him at Swansea.

    "It's a great feeling to sign for Nottingham Forest," he told the club's website after his signing was confirmed on Thursday.

    "I know how big the club is, and I know how much the club means to the city and the fanbase. It's always been difficult whenever I've played against Forest and at The City Ground and I love the stadium.

    "Steve Cooper is someone who knows me very well and knows how to work with me both on and off the pitch. We have a strong relationship, he's a special coach and a special human being and someone who I really look up to.

    "I know what I can bring to the team, I'm ready to give my all and make sure that we are able to stay in the Premier League."

  • Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships

    Head coach Merron Gordon and his staff have selected the 20-man squad which will represent Jamaica at the Concacaf U17 Men’s Championship in Guatemala from February 11-26.

    He also named four reserves who will continue to train with the team as changes can be made in case of injury, as late as match day minus one.

    Gordon’s assistant coaches will be Andrew Peart and Vassel Reynolds while Andrew Sewell will serve as goalkeeping coach.

    The rest of the staff reads: Ronald Watson (Kit Man), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Lamar Morgan (Physical Trainer), Dr. Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Remawn Thomas (Team Manager), Alvin Green (Masseur), Tajay Bailey (Physiotherapist), Baron Watson (HOD).

    The delegation departs on February 9.

    The squad is as follows: Taywayne Lynch (Mount Pleasant Academy), Joshua Grant (Inter Miami FC), Ahir Dixon (Mount Pleasant Academy), Alexavier Gooden (Cavalier SC), Malik Robinson (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Unattached), Ronaldo Barrett (Cavalier SC), Adrian Reid (Cavalier SC), Malachi Molina (FC Dallas Academy), Brandon Bent (Inter Miami FC Academy), Ja-son White (Unattached), Jordan Mantagal (South Florida Academy), Everald Swaby (Unattached), Jahmani Bell (Phoenix Academy), Dusting Cohen (Vere United FC), Orane Watson (Harbour View FC), Nicholas Simmonds (Richmond United Academy), Adrian Mahoney (Toronto FC Academy), Ashton Gordon (Atlanta United Academy), Dyllan John (Phoenix Academy).

    Reserves: Odane Wilberforce (Mount Pleasant Academy), Samir Bloise (FC Prime), Ryan Heron (Orlando City FC), Che-Daniel Gardner (Unattached).

  • Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

    Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

    A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    "A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

    A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

    "In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

    "We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

    Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

    "The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

    "Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

    Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.