Former Manchester United and Juventus striker Carlos Tevez announces retirement

By Sports Desk June 04, 2022

Carlos Tevez has confirmed his retirement from football at the age of 38, citing the death of his father as the reason why he turned down offers to continue playing.

Tevez enjoyed a glittering career, particularly in England where he played for both Manchester United and Manchester City.

As well as three separate spells at boyhood club Boca Juniors, he also spent time at Corinthians, West Ham United, Juventus and Shanghai Shenhua.

Tevez played his final game for Boca Juniors in 2021 before saying goodbye, though at the time he left the door open for a move to another team.

However, in quotes relayed by Mundo Albiceleste, Tevez said on Friday that even though he had received offers from Major League Soccer in the United States, he had stopped playing because he no longer had his "number one fan" after the passing of his father.

"I have retired, it's confirmed," he said. "They offered me many things, including from the United States. But that's it, I have given everything.

"Playing the last year was very difficult but I was able to see my old man. I stopped playing because I lost my number one fan."

Tevez won a remarkable 26 titles in his career and is among only four Argentine players to win both the CONMEBOL Libertadores Cup and the Champions League, lifting the biggest prize in European club football with United in 2008.

He also played at two World Cups for Argentina, in 2006 and 2010.

Related items

  • Fulham seal £15m deal for West Ham defender Diop Fulham seal £15m deal for West Ham defender Diop

    Fulham have completed the signing of towering West Ham defender Issa Diop for a reported fee of £15million.

    The 25-year-old, who had just one year remaining on his contract at the London Stadium, has penned a five-year deal with Marco Silva's side, who earned a creditable 2-2 draw against Liverpool in their Premier League opener last Saturday.

    Diop came through the ranks at Toulouse before joining the Hammers in 2018, but only made 13 league appearances last season after falling out of favour under David Moyes.

    The defender is the seventh arrival at Craven Cottage during the transfer window, following Fulham's acquisitions of Joao Palhinha, Andreas Pereira, Kevin Mbabu, Bernd Leno, Manor Salomon and Shane Duffy.

    Director of football operations Tony Khan told Fulham's website: "Issa is a talented and imposing defender whom we've pursued for a long time, and his experience and formidable presence will be important to our squad in this Premier League season."

    Diop could make his Fulham debut when Silva's team face Wolves at Molineux on Saturday.

  • Bernardo Silva irritated by Man City players not getting due credit Bernardo Silva irritated by Man City players not getting due credit

    Bernardo Silva is frustrated about Manchester City players apparently not getting as much credit as they deserve.

    City have won four of the past five Premier League titles, a feat only previously managed by Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

    Pep Guardiola's arrival in 2016 has undoubtedly had an impact on their domination, with the Catalan coach quickly establishing a team identity that has made them one of the most entertaining and ruthless sides in Europe.

    But Bernardo, who joined a year after Guardiola, thinks City are not as appreciated as they should be, with the Portugal international suggesting the end-of-season awards are evidence of this.

    Last season, the Professional Footballers' Association's (PFA) Team of the Year contained only three City players – including Bernardo – to Liverpool's six and Jurgen Klopp took the managers' award, despite City winning the title.

    While that does appear to be an anomaly, with City boasting the most Team of the Year representatives and Guardiola claiming the managers' prize in each of their previous three title-winning campaigns before last season, Bernardo still feels the champions are judged differently to the rest.

    Asked specifically if he gets the praise he deserves, Bernardo – who took the opportunity to go off on a bit of a tangent – told ESPN: "From Man City fans, definitely. I feel a lot of support, and they show a lot of appreciation for what I do.

    "From outside, it's difficult. I'm not complaining here, but I feel like other clubs get a lot more credit than Man City for doing less.

    "For example, when I was at Benfica – a huge club in Portugal with more fans, more everything – you do something nice and they make it look like it's great. Here at Man City, you do something great and they make it look like it's just good.

    "Again, I'm not complaining, but playing in the Premier League and winning four titles in five years and checking the Premier League Team of the Year every year and knowing that we're never the team that has the most players.

    "We don't have the best manager, we don't have the best players, but we still win four Premier Leagues in five years? It just doesn't make sense. It probably shows that Man City players don't get as much credit as they should.

    "For me, it doesn't matter honestly. I'm happy with the titles that we have and with the memories that in the last five years, we won four times. Of course, we don't get the credit that we deserve."

  • Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links

    Bernardo Silva expects any developments around his Manchester City future to be "very respectful" but says the club "know what I want".

    Silva has been an outstanding performer for City since signing from Monaco in 2017, winning four Premier League titles in five years.

    But he has been linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium in this transfer window, with big-spending Barcelona said to be interested.

    It has been suggested Silva would be keen to join Barca, and the midfielder did not rule out the possibility of a transfer in a wide-ranging interview with ESPN.

    "I've always said that I'm happy here, but I have no idea what's going to happen," Silva said. "We'll see, honestly.

    "My relationship with the club is very honest. I've been open with them, and they know what I want.

    "If I stay, I'm very happy, and I will always respect this club and give all my best. If not, it's football and we'll just see what happens.

    "It's a big club, and they don't want players who are not happy at the club. They always say to all of us that if you're not happy, you can go.

    "Of course, they are in business and they want the right amount of money for letting us go, but personally it's a relationship with the club that is very respectful.

    "They have always been honest with me, and I have always been honest with them.

    "As I said, I will always respect my relationship with Man City, with the fans, with the staff, with my team-mates, so whatever happens happens, and for sure, it will happen in a very respectful way."

    Having started 33 matches in the Premier League last season, Silva was a substitute in Sunday's opening win over West Ham, appearing for the final 12 minutes.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.