Alexander-Arnold celebrates 'unreal' FA Cup win as Liverpool star completes the set

By Sports Desk May 15, 2022

Liverpool's FA Cup triumph has been described as "unreal" by Trent Alexander-Arnold, who has now won every major club honour available to him so far in his career.

Alexander-Arnold scored his spot-kick as Liverpool went on to beat Chelsea 6-5 in the penalty shoot-out at Wembley on Saturday.

After a goalless draw over 120 minutes, Edouard Mendy saved Sadio Mane's penalty, but Alisson subsequently denied Mason Mount, setting the stage for Kostas Tsimikas to net the winning spot-kick.

The Reds won the EFL Cup against Chelsea in February in similar circumstances, triumphing 11-10 in a shoot-out on that occasion.

Alexander-Arnold is only 23, but has already won the FA Cup, EFL Cup, Champions League, FIFA Club World Cup and the Premier League.

He told the Reds' official website: "[It feels] unreal, to be honest. I was sat there thinking this is the only one I’ve got left now to complete the set and to do it is an amazing feeling. 

"It's something that I've dreamed of and it's something that not many players can say they have done, so to be able to do it with this amazing club and this amazing team is a special feeling for me."

Liverpool, who face Real Madrid in the Champions League final on May 28, have won both of England's domestic cup competitions for the first time since 2000-01, when they also went on to win a European trophy that season.

The EFL Cup final between these teams also finished goalless, despite the array of attacking talent on show, while the two league fixtures both ended all square this season.

Alexander-Arnold added: "Honestly, it's always tight when we play Chelsea. We just can't get the better of each other, it always comes down to pens and draws.

"That's four draws now [this season], it's rare, so it's hard to beat them but we were resilient and we've got the job done when it matters. We've kept calm under pressure."

Tsimikas was the unlikely hero for Liverpool, with the back-up left-back keeping his cool from 12 yards after replacing Andrew Robertson.

"It just shows the depth that we've got, lads coming in," Alexander-Arnold said. "The way we did it in the EFL Cup and now.

"It's amazing, the changes we've made, the players coming on and doing their job unbelievably well. It's an amazing group and it's a special season."

Liverpool still harbour hopes of sealing an unprecedented quadruple, though they have only two games left to catch league leaders Manchester City, who are three points clear.

Related items

  • Trincao returns to Barcelona as Wolves opt against triggering option Trincao returns to Barcelona as Wolves opt against triggering option

    Francisco Trincao has returned to Barcelona after Wolves opted against triggering their purchase option.

    The 22-year-old winger joined Wolves on loan last July, reportedly paying £5.1million (€5.9m) to borrow him for the season.

    As part of the deal, Wolves secured an option to buy the Portugal international for £25million (€29m) at the end of the loan, but that rarely looked a realistic outcome.

    Trincao featured 28 times for Wolves in the Premier League, though only 16 of those appearances were as a starter, and he had a hand in just four goals.

    Despite Wolves letting Trincao return to Barcelona, they will – according to a report published on Sunday by the West Midlands-based Express and Star – receive 20 per cent of his next transfer fee.

    He heads back to Barca with his future at Camp Nou unclear, as the club are keen to offload deadwood amid something of a financial crisis.

    Barca reportedly spent €31million in January 2020 to bring Trincao to the club from Sporting Braga, but his impact has been largely minimal.

  • Africa Cup of Nations moved from 2023 to January 2024 Africa Cup of Nations moved from 2023 to January 2024

    The next edition of the Africa Cup of Nations will take place in January and February 2024, rather than between June and July 2023, according to CAF president Patrice Motsepe.

    Africa's premier international tournament was due to be held in Ivory Coast during the European off-season next year, but the threat of heavy flooding in the country at that time of year means it will again take place midway through the club campaign.  

    Speaking in the Moroccan capital Rabat, where a meeting of the CAF Executive Committee was taking place, Motsepe said: "We cannot take the risk.

    "January is not the ideal time because of the European clubs, but it is the only choice we have."

    In 2017 CAF announced its intention to play the tournament at the end of the European club season.

    However, this year's edition, won by Senegal in February, was twice rescheduled after being slated to start in both June 2021 and June 2022, owing to the COVID-19 pandemic and adverse weather conditions in Cameroon.

    The move is unlikely to be popular with several big-name club coaches, with Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp one high-profile critic of the decision to play the most recent tournament at the height of the European season.

    CAF Secretary-General Veron Mosengo-Omba, however, insisted the contrasting weather conditions across the continent meant a permanent switch to a January-February tournament was not on the cards.

    CAF also announced the creation of an African Super League on Sunday, with the first edition of the 24-team tournament, which will run alongside the African Champions League, slated to begin in August 2023. 

  • Galtier's switch to PSG 'good for everyone' says Nice president Galtier's switch to PSG 'good for everyone' says Nice president

    Nice president Jean-Pierre Rivere harbours no ill-will towards Christophe Galtier, who he hopes the best for at Paris Saint-Germain.

    Galtier left Nice on June 27 and is expected to replace Mauricio Pochettino at PSG.

    The former Lille coach enjoyed a fine start to his single season in the south of France, with Nice flying high in Ligue 1 and embarking on a run to the Coupe de France final, beating PSG en route.

    However, Nice were unable to keep up their push for Champions League qualification and ultimately had to settle for fifth place, while they were defeated 1-0 by Nantes in the Coupe de France final in May. 

    Nevertheless, Rivere is happy that Galtier has the chance to coach a star-studded PSG team, and believes the impending move suits all parties.

    He told L'Equipe: "I am very happy that Christophe has the opportunity to coach PSG and I will always keep a watchful eye on him.

    "This alignment of the planets is good for everyone."

    Galtier did not reportedly see eye to eye with Nice sporting director Julien Fournier, and Rivere conceded there were issues at the club.

    "There were these tensions that should not have been expressed in the press," he added.

    "It may seem very confusing, but we analysed the situation calmly and I was able to explain my strategy to [INEOS director of sport] Dave [Brailsford].

    "Nice must project itself with an offensive style, from the training centre to the first team. The pleasure we had at one time has been lost over the last three years."

    Lucien Favre, who enjoyed success at Nice between 2016 and 2018, has been appointed as Galtier's successor.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.