Ceferin defends allocation of Champions League final tickets after Klopp criticism

By Sports Desk May 11, 2022

Aleksander Ceferin has defended UEFA's allocation of Champions League final tickets following criticism from Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp.

The Stade de France has a capacity of 75,000, but less than 20,000 tickets apiece will be allocated to Reds and Real Madrid fans for the showdown on May 28.

Liverpool manager Klopp made his feelings about that perfectly clear after his side beat Villarreal at the semi-final stage.

He said: "It is absolutely not right, but it happens everywhere. It doesn't make it better, just in this specific case you are not only paying more than last time for a ticket, but you only get 50 per cent of the tickets and the rest goes to people who pay thousands and thousands for the tickets."

Klopp added: "When you see the ticket prices and all this kind of stuff, the amount of tickets you get only... did I read, is it right that we only get 20,000, they get 20,000, [but] 75,000 in? That makes 35,000, what? Where are these tickets?

"I cannot be more appreciative, more thankful for what [the fans] are doing. Unbelievable... It is the only bad thing about the journey [fans struggling to obtain tickets]. I really hope they all can make it somehow and can create an incredible atmosphere.

"That is what I love about this game, really. The world will be red or white, but everybody will be either or, so that's really cool."

UEFA president Ceferin responded by stating that the system works.

He said: I explained the same thing to one of the coaches of the two teams [Liverpool and Madrid] a couple of days ago and I can do it here. I explained it to him a bit more and took much more time because I went through every single number.

"From the revenues from the finals, UEFA gets 6.5 per cent and 93.5 per cent goes to the clubs. From the other matches 100 per cent of the revenues goes to the clubs.

"Fans of both teams get 20,000 tickets each. If sponsors that pay 100 or more million euros sponsorship – of which 93.5 per cent goes to the same clubs – get some tickets, it's part of a contractual obligation that we have.

"UEFA doesn't get more tickets than the others. Some tickets go to the market, some tickets go to the fans and some go to the partners. It's not UEFA. I'm not giving tickets for free to my friends or selling to my friends.

"It's the system that works, and clubs couldn't function differently. For us, not much will change if all the tickets will be €10, but it will change a lot for the clubs. A lot."

Related items

  • Putellas marks historic 100th cap for Spain with a goal Putellas marks historic 100th cap for Spain with a goal

    Alexia Putellas became the first female to make 100 appearances for Spain and marked the occasion in style by scoring in a 1-1 draw against Italy.

    The 28-year-old made her debut for La Roja in 2013 and, less than a decade on, won her landmark century cap in Castel di Sangro on Friday.

    Putellas will be a key member of Spain's Euro 2022 squad and again proved her worth with an equaliser to cancel out Valentina Bergamaschi's opener in the friendly.

    Barcelona attacker Putellas, who has also appeared three times for Catalonia, now has 27 goals for Spain at senior level.

    The game was the final warm-up for both nations ahead their European Championship campaigns getting under way in England next week.

    Spain are in a group with Germany, Denmark and Finland, while Italy will face France, Belgium and Iceland.

  • Botman aiming to help Newcastle 'get to the top' after completing move from Lille Botman aiming to help Newcastle 'get to the top' after completing move from Lille

    Sven Botman is hoping to help Newcastle United in their goal to "get to the top" after finalising his move from Lille.

    Newcastle confirmed earlier this week a deal, worth a reported upfront cost of £31.8million (€37m), had been reached with Lille to sign the central defender.

    That transfer was made official on Friday, with the ambitious Premier League club seeing off interest from a number of other teams, including Serie A champions Milan.

    Netherlands Under-21 international Botman becomes Newcastle's third signing of the window following the permanent capture of Matt Targett and the arrival of Nick Pope.

    Eddie Howe's side continue to be linked with an array of other players, and Botman is confident he has made the right choice in moving to St James' Park.

    "I'm really happy – delighted – and I can't wait to start this new adventure," Botman, who penned a five-year contract, told Newcastle's official website. 

    "This is the best day of my life, to sign a contract with Newcastle United. It's a day I've worked hard for and I'm very excited.

    "Newcastle had a long-term plan to get to the top, for both me and for the club, and they play in the Premier League which is the best league in Europe. 

    "The whole package is just perfect. I'm looking forward now to meeting the fans and also my new team-mates."

    Newcastle may reportedly pay up to £35m for Botman, which would make him their third-most expensive signing behind Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton (both £40m).

    Botman won the Ligue 1 title during his two years with Lille, having previously emerged through Ajax's youth system without making a competitive senior appearance.

    "I'm delighted Sven is joining us. He is technically very good, physically very good and has a great attitude," Newcastle boss Howe added.

    "At 22, he already has solid experience at the top level but he is at a great age to grow with this team. 

    "I am looking forward to getting to work with him and seeing him with his new team-mates."

    Newcastle begin their 2022-23 Premier League season at home against newly promoted Nottingham Forest on August 6.

  • Milan sign Florenzi from Roma on permanent deal Milan sign Florenzi from Roma on permanent deal

    Milan have confirmed the signing of Alessandro Florenzi from Roma on a permanent deal following the right-back's successful spell on loan last season.

    Florenzi made 30 appearances in all competitions in the 2021-22 campaign, including 24 league outings in Milan's first Scudetto-winning campaign in 11 years.

    Having played his part in that historic triumph, Milan announced on Friday they have taken up the option to sign Florenzi on a three-year-deal.

    The Italy international had been on Roma's books since 2011, but he fell out of favour and spent time on loan at Valencia and Paris Saint-Germain prior to joining Milan.

    Milan also announced on Friday that back-up goalkeeper Antonio Mirante, who did not feature at all last season, has extended his contract until the end of this coming season.

    It comes after club directors Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara – who overlook transfer activity – extended their own stays at San Siro.

    Stefano Pioli's men begin their Serie A title defence at home to Udinese on August 13.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.