EPL

Man Utd loanee Williams 'followed and taunted' after Norwich defeat

By Sports Desk May 09, 2022

Norwich City full-back Brandon Williams has claimed he was followed and subjected to taunts and abuse by Canaries supporters in the aftermath of the defeat to West Ham.

A Said Benrahma double and strikes from Michail Antonio and Manuel Lanzini condemned the already relegated Norwich to a 4-0 hammering at Carrow Road on Sunday.

Manchester United loanee Williams started at left-back for Dean Smith's side after Norwich fans gathered outside the stadium prior to kick-off to protest against owners Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones.

Williams suggested he had been followed after the game, posting on Instagram: "For the people that followed me, he's always awake", and a stream of laughing face emojis.

The 21-year-old has since released a statement, claiming he was followed by some Norwich supporters, who only stopped once they realised he had noticed them.

"Yesterday after leaving the stadium I was taunted and abused by fans surrounding the stadium whilst I was in my car," Williams posted on Twitter.

"After the abuse I was followed by individuals who only stopped following me once they became aware I had noticed them.

"However passionate fans are it is not right that a small minority abuse players or, in this case, follow them.

"Since arriving at Norwich I have played for the club as if I were a permanent member of the team. It is unfortunate that a small number of fans behave like this."

Williams posted a photo of a raised middle finger with the caption "What a beautiful day. Easy up Norwich City", with a location marker for "Suffolk" after the loss. Both Instagram posts were subsequently deleted.

Reports suggested Norwich had opened an investigation into Williams' social media activity, but the defender assured that is not the case.

"There is no club investigation into my conduct as incorrectly reported in the media," he added.

"I would like to thank those fans who have sent me messages of support at this unsettling time.

"I would also like to thank Norwich City and their staff for the support they have given me in the past two days and for their concern."

Related items

  • James Vincent: It’s taken years to realise the importance of my cup-winning goal James Vincent: It’s taken years to realise the importance of my cup-winning goal

    James Vincent admits he has only recently started to grasp the full magnitude of his Scottish Cup-winning strike for Inverness eight years ago.

    The 33-year-old midfielder scored the biggest goal in Caley Thistle’s history when he burst forward from his auxiliary role at right-back to tap home in the 86th minute as his 10-man team overcame a late flurry from Falkirk to claim the old trophy in 2015.

    But Vincent, who returned for a second spell with Inverness between 2019 and 2021, admits it took him some time to fully appreciate the importance of what he had accomplished.

    “It really is the sort of thing you grow up dreaming of, scoring a late winner in a cup final,” Vincent told the PA news agency on the eve of his old side’s Scottish Cup final showdown with Celtic.

    “It’s probably something that has become heightened over the years, partly by doing interviews like this. At the time I thought it was just another game to be brutally honest.

    “I didn’t quite understand how it affected the lives of fans and staff. It’s only when you’re still getting messages from fans about the cup final all these years later that you understand how it impacted other people and that it was the biggest moment for the club they support.

    “It’s probably something that I’ve come to realise over the years was such a big occasion and I’m so happy that I was part of it.”

    Vincent was sent on by manager John Hughes as a 72nd-minute substitute to try and help Inverness – who were in the Premiership at the time – maintain control at a time when they led their second-tier opponents 1-0.

    A red card for Caley Thistle defender Carl Tremarco just three minutes later, however, changed the whole dynamic of the match and Falkirk equalised with 10 minutes left.

    Just as the Bairns looked set to turn the screw, the Highlanders broke away and won it when Vincent followed up to tap in the rebound after attacker Marley Watkins had surged from his own half and forced a save out of Jamie MacDonald.

    “Circumstances on the day were crazy,” recalled Vincent. “We had ups and downs, a red card, people playing out of position, but I just took a bit of a risk towards the end and fortunately it paid off.

    “When I came on, it was still 11 v 11 but Falkirk were getting a bit of a foothold. I went on for Ryan Christie to play in an advanced midfielder position but within three minutes we were down to 10 men and I got moved to right-back.

    “John Hughes liked utilising us in different positions, which I felt was a strength of ours. The remit from there was to shut up shop, get to extra time and see if we could take it to penalties but I had the chance to break forward and I took it.

    “A lot of the boys had played the majority of the game and were tired, especially when we were down to 10 men, but I had a bit of freshness about me and I was on the pitch so I just thought ‘I’ll have a go’. You don’t get to play in many occasions like that and I just took a gamble and kept going.

    “I got myself ahead of the midfield line and it was only Marley up top and he managed to brush off a defender and get a shot away. I still think he should have passed to me but he had a shot and I was in the right place at the right time.

    “Even though Falkirk were in the Championship, they had a really good squad and had been on the cusp of promotion for a couple of years. We were the favourites going into it but the tide turned when we had Carl sent off and we probably became the underdogs.

    “It was tough, it was backs-against-the-wall at times, but we had a great attitude about us. I don’t think anybody expected us to finish the game the way we did.”

    Vincent will be watching his former colleagues from his Glossop home on Saturday, hoping he will be joined in Inverness folklore by a new cup final-winning hero.

    “It’s really nice to see Aaron Doran and Danny Devine trying to do it again,” he said of the two remaining members of the 2015 squad. “They’re the two boys, along with Billy McKay who I’m still really close to and still talk to quite regularly.

    “Those lads will be really valuable to Inverness because they’ve got the experience. I think they’ve got a nice blend of younger and more experienced player.

    “I’ll be watching on television as a fan and I’d love to see them have a go at Celtic and see where it takes them. If they do that and give it their all, nobody will moan regardless of the score.”

  • West Ham walk off pitch after alleged racial abuse in seven-a-side tournament West Ham walk off pitch after alleged racial abuse in seven-a-side tournament

    West Ham players walked off the pitch during a seven-a-side tournament in America after alleged racial abuse.

    The issue happened against Dallas United in the The Soccer Tournament event on Thursday.

    Dalles have withdrawn from the £1million competition following the allegation, which came towards the end of the game with Dallas leading 2-0.

    Former Hammers Anton Ferdinand, Carlton Cole, Matt Jarvis, Marlon Harewood, Zavon Hines and Jimmy Walker are among those taking part in North Carolina.

    It is unclear what was said – or to which player – but Ferdinand reportedly told media at the game the Hammers walked off due to racism.

    A statement from TST read: “After conducting an investigation into the final moments of the match between West Ham United and Dallas United, we have concluded that Dallas United violated TST’s code of conduct.

    “We have been in dialogue with leadership from both clubs and we are all aligned that the best path forward is Dallas United withdrawing from competition. All parties involved are unified in wanting to make a statement against racial insensitivity.

    “We seek to run an event that is not only fiercely high stakes for all competitors, but also one in which all competitors feel safe and protected. As a result, tomorrow’s game between Dallas United and Far East United has been cancelled.”

    The referee reportedly told players he did not hear what was said, before West Ham decided to walk off.

    Dallas United wrote on Twitter: “In light of the shadow cast by an opposing player’s accusation during tonight’s match, the Dallas United players unanimously decided to withdraw from the remainder of the competition.

    “Our coaches and staff fully support the team’s decision. We thank @TST7v7 for the opportunity to compete in the tournament.”

    Wolves,  Borussia Dortmund and Wrexham are among the teams taking part.

  • Junior Stanislas to leave Bournemouth after nine years with club Junior Stanislas to leave Bournemouth after nine years with club

    Junior Stanislas will leave Bournemouth at the end of his contract, ending a nine-year stint at the club.

    The 33-year-old joined the Cherries in 2014 and has made 178 appearances, scoring 38 goals.

    He has won two promotions to the Premier League and helped them stay in the top division on five occasions, but will depart the Vitality Stadium this summer.

    AFC Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake said on the club’s official website: “One of our longest serving players, we wish Junior nothing but the best for what comes next.

    “He’s played a massive part in helping the club get to where we are today and his talent and dedication has been an inspiration for those around him.

    “We appreciate all of his hard work both on and off the pitch, with his excellent work in the community also a huge testament to his character.”

    Stanislas is the latest exit confirmed by the Cherries, following the departures of Jefferson Lerma and Jack Stacey.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.