West Ham identify two offenders following alleged attack on German commentators

By Sports Desk April 29, 2022

West Ham have identified two offenders responsible for the alleged attack on two German commentators during Thursday's Europa League clash with Eintracht Frankfurt.

The alleged incident at the London Stadium is said to have taken place after Michail Antonio had equalised 21 minutes into the semi-final first-leg tie.

German outlet Bild reported during the match that the commentators, who were working for ARD, had their headsets ripped off and were punched several times.

West Ham believe they have found those responsible and have threatened the pair with lifetime bans if found guilty.

"In line with our zero-tolerance approach, the offenders' details have been passed onto the police, who will now conduct their own investigation," a West Ham spokesperson said.

"If the offenders are found guilty, they will be given an indefinite ban and not be permitted to enter London Stadium, nor travel with the club. 

"Behaviour of this kind is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at West Ham United."

Frankfurt won the game 2-1 in London thanks to goals from Ansgar Knauff and Daichi Kamada either side of Antonio's close-range finish.

The return leg takes place at Deutsche Bank Park next Thursday, with the winners to face either RB Leipzig or Rangers in next month's final in Seville.

 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd boss Ten Hag keen on Chelsea's Ziyech but faces resistance Rumour Has It: Man Utd boss Ten Hag keen on Chelsea's Ziyech but faces resistance

    Manchester United's transfer market activity appears to be getting increasingly desperate.

    The English giants have added only Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez to their first team in this window.

    United have been linked with a host of other players but missed out, including Benjamin Sesko, while no deal has transpired despite their attempts to sign Frenkie de Jong.

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD BOSS TEN HAG KEEN ON ZIYECH

    Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has identified Chelsea winger Hakim Ziyech as a target, according to the Manchester Evening News.

    However, United's hierarchy are not convinced and have offered resistance to the Dutchman's plans to sign the Moroccan, whom he worked with previously at Ajax.

    United have been priced out of their move for Ajax's Antony, and Ten Hag views Ziyech as a good alternative.

    ROUND-UP

    – SPORT1 claims Bayern Munich will attempt to bring Kai Havertz to the club from Chelsea. The Germany international, who moved to Chelsea from Bayer Leverkusen two years ago, is seen as someone who can offset Robert Lewandowski's departure.

    – Juventus are still keen on Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Leandro Paredes, according to Fabrizio Romano. The Bianconeri are ready to swoop once Adrien Rabiot's move to Manchester United is sealed.

    – The Athletic reports Newcastle United may target Chelsea's United States international Christian Pulisic.

    – West Ham have entered the race for Barcelona's Memphis Depay, submitting a "big-money" offer to the Blaugrana, according to Football Insider.

  • Eintracht Frankfurt sign Juventus left-back Pellegrini on season-long loan Eintracht Frankfurt sign Juventus left-back Pellegrini on season-long loan

    Eintracht Frankfurt have signed Italy international left-back Luca Pellegrini from Juventus on a season-long loan.

    The Rome-born 23-year-old, who has one Italy cap from 2020, debuted for Juventus last season, going on to make 21 appearances in all competitions.

    Pellegrini's move coincides with left wing-back Filip Kostic's arrival at the Bianconeri from Eintracht this week.

    The former Italy youth international, who was loaned out to Cagliari and Genoa in 2019 and 2020 respectively, would also have faced competition for the left-back role with Alex Sandro.

    Europa League winners Eintracht have made a raft of personnel changes this off-season in preparation for their participation in the Champions League.

    Jens Petter Hauge, Lucas Alario, Hrvoje Smolcic, Kristijan Jakic and Mario Gotze are among their new signings.

  • Kounde the only new Barca signing not registered Kounde the only new Barca signing not registered

    Jules Kounde is the only one of Barcelona's new signings who was not registered on the eve of the LaLiga season.

    Barca head coach Xavi on Friday revealed the club were "very optimistic" that their new recruits would be registered, but all five may not be given the green light for their first match of the LaLiga campaign against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

    It later emerged that Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie have been registered along with Ousmane Dembele and Sergi Roberto, who signed new contracts

    Centre-back Kounde's registration has not been sanctioned by LaLiga despite Barca having activated a fourth economic lever on Friday.

    It had been reported that Kounde may be the last of the five new recruits the Catalan giants have brought in to be registered, given the big-money signing from Sevilla underwent surgery to repair a minor pelvis injury in June.

    Barca have been busy raising funds to try and meet LaLiga's salary limits and sold a further 24.5 per cent of their production company for €100million, having also agreed a hugely lucrative sponsorship deal with Spotify and sold a percentage of broadcast rights.

    The Blaugrana have lowered their wage bill by offloading players and could also sell Frenkie de Jong and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who have both been linked with Chelsea.

    Blaugrana head coach Xavi said in a press conference on Friday he was prepared for the possibility that some of his new men may not be eligible to play this weekend.

    He told reporters: "We are working hard and everyone at the club is very positive. Maybe not 100 per cent [of the players will be registered], but we are optimistic. We'll see. The club has signed very well, I am very excited about the players we have signed. We have time until tomorrow and now we are very optimistic."

    Barca are expected to make Chelsea full-back Marcos Alonso their next signing and they continue to be linked with Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.