Eintracht Frankfurt deserved stunning Europa League victory over Barca, says Xavi

By Sports Desk April 14, 2022

Barcelona boss Xavi says Eintracht Frankfurt fully deserved their stunning 3-2 victory in the second leg of their Europa League quarter-final tie at Camp Nou on Thursday.

Filip Kostic scored twice, the first of which came from the penalty spot, and Rafael Borre slammed in from long range as the Bundesliga side sealed a memorable 4-3 aggregate win over the Catalan giants, who scored twice in stoppage time through Sergio Busquets' fine strike and a Memphis Depay penalty.

The result ended Barca's 15-game unbeaten run, which was the longest in the top five European leagues, while it was only the second time in their last seven knockout ties in Europe when they have avoided defeat in the first leg that they have been eliminated.

Xavi had no complaints about the result and admitted his side were well off the pace they have set in recent months.

"We scored two goals but we weren't able to attack in the best way," he told a media conference.

"We didn't play as well as in other games and they came out very well on the counter-attack. They had that first penalty that went very well for them and then with a great goal with a silly loss from us on the right.

"We have had control but we haven't generated enough to hurt them, and they have done it with little [of the game]. With a penalty, with a counter from a loss from us and the third comes from a play after we had been pressing.

"They are mistakes that we have paid for. This is what happens in Europe and we leave disappointed.

"It's not a failure. We've tried. It's a disappointment because we had high hopes and we've put everything on the pitch, and in the end Frankfurt won. It's a competition and if there is failure we are going to learn.

"We can only congratulate them because they deserved it."

A significant number of Frankfurt supporters roared their side on, with far more than their allocation of 5,000 present in the stadium.

Xavi says that had an impact on his side and confirmed the club is looking into why there were so many opposition fans.

"The atmosphere hasn't helped us," he added. "We expected some 70,000 or 80,000 people from Catalonia and that hasn't happened. It looked like a final with divided support. I think the club is checking what happened."

Barca are next in action on Monday when they host Cadiz in LaLiga.

Related items

  • Morata's agent not ruling out a move for Man Utd and Juve-linked striker Morata's agent not ruling out a move for Man Utd and Juve-linked striker

    Alvaro Morata's agent has not ruled out a move for the in-form Atletico Madrid star but declared "at the moment I say that he stays".

    The Spain international scored twice as Atleti started the LaLiga season with a 3-0 win at Getafe on the back of a hat-trick in a 4-0 friendly rout of his former club Juventus.

    Morata has been linked with Manchester United and a return to Juve, where he was on loan for the past two campaigns.

    The 29-year-old's representative, Juanma Lopez, says the ex-Real Madrid forward will remain with Diego Simeone's side as it stands, but suggested he could depart before the transfer window closes on September 1. 

    He told Chiringuito: "At the moment I say that he stays at Atletico Madrid, we are in August. Will he stay? Yes, he has a contract with Atletico."

    Simeone was unable to give any assurances over Morata's future following the victory over Getafe.

    "I am not the owner of the club, I am the coach," the Atleti boss said. "He is doing very well, working in an extraordinary way, and we hope that Morata will continue with us.

    "I think that all footballers have to have confidence to do important things. He came with humility, desire to work, without demanding anything, striving to get to this shape and that is what we want to see."

  • World number one Swiatek: I feel like a 'kid from kindergarten' around Serena Williams World number one Swiatek: I feel like a 'kid from kindergarten' around Serena Williams
  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang Rumour Has It: Man Utd considering moves for Vardy and Aubameyang

    Manchester United have come in for huge criticism following their poor start to the season.

    United have failed to land major off-season transfer targets and are eager to add reinforcements.

    The start of Erik ten Hag's tenure as manager has been hugely disappointing, with back-to-back Premier League defeats.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN UTD TURN TO VARDY TO SOLVE STRIKER ISSUES

    Manchester United are considering a bid for Leicester City forward Jamie Vardy to solve their striker conundrum, claims The Athletic.

    The Red Devils have endured a frustrating transfer window and have only netted once in their opening two league games.

    Vardy is among a number of targets United are keen on, having also been linked with Barcelona's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, according to The Sun.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – TalkSPORT claims Manchester United are getting close to a €50million (£42m) deal for Atletico Madrid's Brazilian forward Matheus Cunha. The 23-year-old joined Atletico from Hertha Berlin last year on a five-year deal.

    Chelsea are closing in on a deal for Inter's Cesare Casadei, according to Calciomercato. Inter have set their asking price at €15m (£12.5m) plus €5m in bonuses, which the Blues are edging closer to meet. The deal may aid Romelu Lukaku sealing a permanent switch to the Nerazzurri.

    – Talks are ongoing between Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus on agreeing a move for Leandro Paredes, reports Fabrizio Romano. Personal terms have been agreed between the Argentinian and the Bianconeri on a long-term deal.

    Wolves will sign Portuguese midfielder Matheus Nunes for a club-record fee of €45m (£38m) plus €5m in add-ons from Sporting CP, according to Record. Liverpool, West Ham and Manchester City had been tracking Nunes.

    – Diario Sport claims Barcelona may be willing to let Samuel Umtiti exit as a free agent amid interest from various unnamed clubs. Umtiti, who is contracted at Camp Nou until 2026, has struggled with injuries during his time at the Blaugrana.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.