EPL

Salah could ruin Liverpool legacy if he leaves, warns Carragher

By Sports Desk April 10, 2022

Mohamed Salah could ruin his Liverpool legacy if he leaves and is not "sensible" in his contact negotiations, according to Reds great Jamie Carragher.

Salah has starred for Jurgen Klopp's side since joining from Roma in 2017 for £34million (39m euro), but uncertainty remains over his future with his contract set to expire at the end of the 2022-23 season.

Reports suggest the Egypt forward, who has won the Premier League Golden Boot award twice, is looking to be made the highest-paid player at the club by a considerable distance.

Liverpool appear unwilling to budge on their wage structure, though Klopp previously suggested he is "happy" with how the ongoing negotiations are going.

Carragher pointed towards former Reds talisman Fernando Torres as he urged Salah to be cautious in how he approaches the discussions, otherwise he risks tarnishing his reputation.

"I don't think Liverpool will up their offer at this moment," Carragher said on Sky Sports ahead of what is being billed as the Premier League title decider between Manchester City and Liverpool on Sunday.

"But I think Mo Salah should be sensible, he and his representatives should understand the situation they have at Liverpool.

"He will still be getting an amazing contract. But the football he's playing now, he's playing for one of the best managers in the world, one of the best teams in the world.

"What he's done over the last four or five years makes him one of the greatest players to ever wear a Liverpool shirt. And I just think it would be sad if he was to move on, maybe to a rival in this country.

"I think he'd lose his legacy, if you like, at Liverpool. If you look at what happened to Fernando Torres, going to Chelsea... I just don't think it'd be great for his career.

"Where could he go that's better than Liverpool right now? I don't think there is anywhere."

Torres formed a formidable partnership with Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard after joining in 2007, scoring 81 times in 142 appearances, but his relationship with the Anfield faithful turned sour when he joined Chelsea in 2011.

That move coincided with a downturn in the former Spain forward's career and Carragher believes Salah could face a similar problem, though the centre-back is hopeful the forward will stay.

"I still believe he will sign, I think this is the best place for him," he said.   

"It's not as though Mo Salah came to Liverpool as a superstar, he became a superstar at Liverpool and I think Jurgen Klopp, the way his team plays brings out the best in him.

"I don't think it would be a sensible move for him if he was to move on, I really don't. I think it would be better for him and obviously the club if he could put pen to paper."

Related items

  • Football rumours: Brentford monitoring Norwich striker Josh Sargent Football rumours: Brentford monitoring Norwich striker Josh Sargent
    What the papers say

    Brentford are reportedly keeping tabs on Norwich’s in-form American striker Josh Sargent. The Sun says the Bees view the 24-year-old, who has scored 11 goals in 17 matches this season, as an ideal replacement for Ivan Toney, who is expected to be sold in the summer.

    Miguel Gutierrez is on the radar of Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag, according to The Sun. Citing a report from Spanish outlet Mundo Deportivo, the paper says the 22-year-old defender is a high priority transfer target for the United boss, though Gutierrez’s former club are thought to Real Madrid retain 50 per cent of his rights and a buy-back clause and could prove a substantial roadblock for the Red Devils.

    And the Daily Mirror reports Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United all had scouts in attendance to watch Sporting Lisbon striker Viktor Gyokeres net his 31st goal of the season against Benfica last week.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Andy Robertson: Football Insider says Liverpool are set to open contract talks with the defender, who has been linked with Bayern Munich in recent days.

    Francesco Camarda: Gazzetta dello Sport, via Football Italia, reports Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund are monitoring the 15-year-old AC Milan forward.

  • On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea On this day in 2012: Andre Villas-Boas sacked by Chelsea

    On this day in 2012, Andre Villas-Boas left Chelsea as former midfielder Roberto Di Matteo was appointed interim manager until the end of the season.

    Villas-Boas, 34, lost the job he had held for just eight months less than 24 hours after a 1-0 defeat at West Brom which left the Blues sitting in fifth place in the Premier League table and having won just five of their previous 15 games in all competitions.

    The Portuguese had been recruited at great expense – around £13.3million – as Carlo Ancelotti’s replacement by then Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich in June 2011 and handed the task of overhauling an ageing squad after winning a remarkable quadruple with Porto.

    However, he quickly found himself under pressure and reports of dressing room unrest coupled with faltering form prompted the club to act ahead of an FA Cup trip to Birmingham and an impending Champions League showdown with Napoli.

    In a statement, they said: “Unfortunately the results and performances of the team have not been good enough and were showing no signs of improving at a key time in the season.

    “The club is still competing in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup, as well as challenging for a top-four spot in the Premier League, and we aim to remain as competitive as possible on all fronts.

    “With that in mind, we felt our only option was to make a change at this time.”

    Assistant Di Matteo was placed in temporary charge and made rather a good fist of it, at least initially.

    The Italian guided Chelsea to FA Cup final victory over Liverpool and then famously at the Allianz Arena, a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final as Didier Drogba, whose late header had taken the game to extra time, converted the decisive spot-kick to complete Abramovich’s quest for European glory.

    Di Matteo’s reward was a permanent two-year contract, although his reign too proved short-lived when he was sacked after just five months at the helm.

  • Frenkie de Jong and Pedri both injured as Barcelona draw with Athletic Bilbao Frenkie de Jong and Pedri both injured as Barcelona draw with Athletic Bilbao

    Barcelona remain third in LaLiga after being held to a 0-0 draw by Athletic Bilbao at San Mames.

    A frustrating evening for Barca included midfielders Frenkie de Jong and Pedri coming off with injuries in the first half.

    Xavi’s men are eight points behind leaders Real Madrid, who had drawn 2-2 at Valencia on Saturday.

    And they are a point behind second-placed Girona, whose 1-0 loss at Mallorca earlier on Sunday, via a first-half Jose Manuel Copete goal, had offered Barca the chance to climb the table.

    Fourth-placed Atletico Madrid beat Real Betis 2-1 at home with a Rui Silva own goal and Alvaro Morata effort putting the hosts in charge before William Carvalho’s reply, and Alexander Sorloth netted a hat-trick as Villarreal thrashed second-bottom Granada 5-1 at El Madrigal.

    In Serie A, second-placed Juventus suffered a third defeat in five games as they lost 2-1 at Napoli.

    Giacomo Raspadori scored a late winner on the follow-up when Victor Osimhen’s penalty was saved by Wojciech Szczesny, after Federico Chiesa had cancelled out Khvicha Kvaratskhelia’s opener.

    It leaves Juve 12 points adrift of Inter Milan, who host Genoa on Monday.

    Fourth-placed Bologna strengthened their Champions League bid by coming from behind to triumph 2-1 at Atalanta, with Scotland’s Lewis Ferguson netting the winner.

    Cagliari moved up a place to 18th with a 1-0 win at Empoli. They are level on points with 17th-placed Hellas Verona, who beat Sassuolo 1-0 at home.

    Sunday’s other top-flight game in Italy saw Frosinone and Lecce draw 1-1.

    Bayer Leverkusen went 10 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga with a 2-0 win at 10-man Cologne.

    After the hosts had Jan Thielmann sent off early on, Jeremie Frimpong and Alejandro Grimaldo scored in each half for Xabi Alonso’s men as they took full advantage of second-placed Bayern Munich being held at Freiburg on Friday.

    Maximilian Beier’s first-half brace secured a 2-1 win for Hoffenheim at home against Werder Bremen, the hosts holding out for three points after having Marius Bulter sent off in the 73rd minute and conceding a stoppage-time Skelly Alvero goal.

    In Ligue 1, Brest are nine points behind Paris St Germain in second after Pierre Lees-Melou’s first-half effort secured a 1-0 home win over Le Havre, extending their unbeaten run to 13 games.

    Toulouse came from behind to win 2-1 at home against fifth-placed Nice, and Lens are up to sixth following a 3-0 win at Lyon.

    Lorient moved out of the relegation zone with a 2-1 win at Rennes, Montpellier dropped in having drawn 2-2 at home with Strasbourg and second-bottom Metz won 2-0 at Nantes.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.