EPL

'The future can be brighter' – Fernandes targeting first trophy with Man Utd

By Sports Desk April 09, 2022

Bruno Fernandes revealed the desire to win his first trophy at Manchester United was instrumental in his decision to sign a new long-term contract with the club.

The Portugal international put pen to paper on a fresh deal earlier this month – reportedly worth £240,000 a week – that will keep him at Old Trafford until at least 2026.

Fernandes has been a key figure for the Red Devils since his move from Sporting CP in January 2020, scoring 49 goals and assisting a further 39 in 118 appearances across all competitions.

In fact, his 88 direct goal involvements during that period have only been bettered by five players in Europe’s top five leagues.

Nevertheless, the 27-year-old is still seeking his first trophy with United, who reached last season's Europa League final and a further three semi-finals during his time at the club.

Securing Champions League qualification is the sole priority of this season, with Ralf Rangnick's side seventh in the Premier League and three points behind Tottenham in fourth.

But Fernandes is confident that happier times lie ahead at Old Trafford.

"What I've been told – the way they convinced me to stay for a longer period – [they] make me feel that the future can be brighter," he told Football Focus.

"Obviously, the individual stats are always good, but I still don't win a trophy with the club. We reached one final; we reached many semi-finals, but still no trophy. 

"For me, it's more important that we get this trophy. For every player, you want your individual trophies; you want to have that kind of award. 

"But at the end of the day, you want to win with your team-mates, with your club, with your fans. 

"I'm still not happy; that's why I want to stay at United and try to be happy in the next few years."

Related items

  • Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United over the ramifications of an exit for Cristiano Ronaldo, expressing his fears the club could finish in the bottom half of the table.

    United's start to life under Erik ten Hag has been woeful, losing back-to-back matches against Brighton and Hove Albion and Brentford to sit at the foot of the Premier League.

    Pressure is already mounting on Ten Hag, who faces a stern test on Monday against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, and the final weeks of the transfer window could be decisive.

    United have been linked with a host of players, but the biggest story continues to be the future of Ronaldo, who is widely reported to be pushing for an exit due to his desire to play Champions League football.

    Reports on Tuesday suggest United's stance has changed, with the club now said to be willing to listen to offers for the 37-year-old, but Neville is fearful of the impact his departure could have.

    "I think there's a massive decision they have to make on Cristiano Ronaldo and they're damned if they do, damned if they don't," he said on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

    "A few weeks ago before the season started, these two results, [the] best thing to do was facilitate a move out the club for Cristiano because he's obviously not happy and the club aren't happy with him.

    "The problem they have now is if they lose him, there's nothing left in terms of the goalscoring part of the pitch and I genuinely think if they don't bring players in or if they bring in poor players in and he leaves, I genuinely think they can finish in the bottom half of the table.

    "That's a bottom half of the table team, that's a massive statement."

    Suitors for Ronaldo appear to be few and far between, with Italian giants Inter and Milan said to have rebuffed a potential move, while fans of Atletico Madrid have made their feelings against a transfer clear.

  • Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht Man City seal Sergio Gomez signing from Anderlecht

    Manchester City have confirmed the signing of full-back Sergio Gomez on a four-year deal from Anderlecht.

    The 21-year-old, formerly of Barcelona's youth set-up and Borussia Dortmund, worked with ex-City captain Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club and has joined for a reported fee of £11million.

    Gomez is City's fourth acquisition of the transfer window, following on from the captures of Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    "I am incredibly proud and happy to have joined Manchester City," he told the club's official website.

    "City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.

    "To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something any young player would aspire to.

    "The number of trophies City have won over the past few years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.

    "Playing for and being guided by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.

    "I've heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I can't wait to get started and to try and help the Club achieve even more."

    City have won their opening two Premier League fixtures against West Ham and Bournemouth, with Newcastle United next up on Sunday. 

    Our new number 21 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/5oGXj5ZdUY

    — Manchester City (@ManCity) August 16, 2022
  • Man City land Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht Man City land Sergio Gomez from Anderlecht

    Manchester City have confirmed the signing of full-back Sergio Gomez on a four-year deal from Anderlecht.

    The 21-year-old, formerly of Barcelona's youth set-up and Borussia Dortmund, worked with ex-City captain Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club and has joined for a reported fee of £11million.

    Gomez is City's fourth acquisition of the transfer window, following on from the captures of Kalvin Phillips, Erling Haaland and Stefan Ortega.

    "I am incredibly proud and happy to have joined Manchester City," he told the club's official website.

    "City are the best team in England and in Pep Guardiola I have a chance to learn and develop under the most outstanding manager in world football.

    "To be able to be part of this club is a dream come true for me and something any young player would aspire to.

    "The number of trophies City have won over the past few years has been incredible and the style of football the team plays under Pep is the most exciting in Europe.

    "Playing for and being guided by Pep and his coaches is going to be very special.

    "I've heard so much about the City fans and how passionate they are, so I can't wait to get started and to try and help the Club achieve even more."

    City have won their opening two Premier League fixtures against West Ham and Bournemouth, with Newcastle United next up on Sunday. 

    Our new number 21 #ManCity pic.twitter.com/5oGXj5ZdUY

    — Manchester City (@ManCity) August 16, 2022
© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.