Simeone does not consider the critics after Atletico Madrid's defeat at Man City

By Sports Desk April 08, 2022

Diego Simeone says he does not care what others think in response to criticism of his methods following Atletico Madrid's Champions League loss to Manchester City.

Atleti slumped to a first-leg defeat at Etihad Stadium against Pep Guardiola's side, after Kevin De Bruyne struck in the second half to secure a 1-0 advantage in the quarter-final tie.

Simeone's side failed to register a single shot throughout the match, becoming the first team for a decade to do so in the competition in the process, after APOEL in 2012.

That performance prompted criticism from ex-Atleti coach Arrigo Sacchi.

Simeone's approach was the subject of intense scrutiny from Sacchi, who bemoaned that the Argentine's defensive capabilities had turned his team of title-winners into a "boring" team.

But speaking ahead of his side's trip to Mallorca in LaLiga on Saturday, Simeone stated he does not care to listen to their verdicts.

"I don't think what others think," he responded when asked about criticism of his approach. "Everyone has their own thoughts, everyone is respectable.

"From humility, [we have to] keep working and do our best for Atletico Madrid. We cannot value what people from outside may think or speak."

Atleti also look set to face repercussions from fan discord during their midweek defeat, after UEFA confirmed they had opened an investigation into the club's supporters.

"Disciplinary proceedings have been instigated in accordance with Article 55 of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations," read an official statement from the governing body.

"The charges against Club Atletico de Madrid [are] discriminatory behaviour [under] Article 14 [and] throwing of objects [under] Article 16(2)(b).

"The UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) will decide on the matter in due course."

Related items

  • Inter Miami v Chicago Fire: Messi missing again as title tilt continues Inter Miami v Chicago Fire: Messi missing again as title tilt continues

    Inter Miami will again be without injured superstar Lionel Messi as they look to continue on their course for the Supporters' Shield on Saturday.

    Miami will host Chicago Fire with Messi absent, just as he was for the midweek home win over Toronto FC.

    "Leo will continue to be evaluated by our medical staff week to week," coach Tata Martino said.

    "We will see how he recuperates without taking any type of risk."

    Messi suffered an ankle injury while on Copa America duty with Argentina, winning that competition but appearing to hamper Inter's title hopes in the process.

    But Martino's men are still well placed to achieve their goals, starting with the regular-season championship.

    With victory over Toronto, in which Federico Redondo took centre stage with two goals, Miami became the first team to reach 50 points this season.

    They have achieved that feat within 24 games, joining esteemed company. The only six teams to previously tally 50 points inside 24 games have gone on to win the Supporters' Shield.

    Next opponents Chicago at least head into this encounter off the back of a win of their own, beating FC Cincinnati on the road on Wednesday.

    "When you come on the road and get a result like this, it's a great team effort," said Fire coach Frank Klopas.

    "Certain guys are playing really well at the moment, but I still feel that everyone can give more. There's a lot more potential in there with the group.

    "That's why this game on Saturday is so massive for us."

    PLAYERS TO WATCH

    Inter Miami – Federico Redondo

    Miami may be missing Messi, but the supporting cast has consistently stepped up this season. They have had four different players score two or more goals in a match, tied for the most in MLS.

    The latest of those was Redondo, scoring his first goals in MLS against Toronto. With an assist in that game, too, he will hope that is the start of a strong run of game.

    Chicago Fire – Brian Gutierrez

    The Fire have had just three goals from substitutes in 2024, yet two of those have been among their past three goals. The latest, their winner against Cincy, saw Gutierrez emerge from the bench to score.

    The midfielder will not want that to develop into a consistent theme, however, surely preferring to play from the start. He had done so in each prior game going back to April.

    MATCH PREDICTION: INTER MIAMI WIN

    Chicago have actually won four of their six games against Miami, including the past three in a row.

    But New York City FC are the only team to further extend such a streak against Miami, and their run of five straight victories ended back in 2022. Miami are a very different prospect in 2024.

    Their stretch of scoring in 10 consecutive MLS matches is a club record, with their tally of 19 goals across those games showing the task that lies before Chicago – with or without Messi.

    OPTA WIN PROBABILITY

    Inter Miami – 64.2%
    Chicago Fire – 16.7%
    Draw – 19.1%

  • Savinho joins Man City on five-year deal Savinho joins Man City on five-year deal

    Manchester City have completed the signing of Savinho from Troyes on a five-year deal.

    The Brazil international is Pep Guardiola's first arrival ahead of the 2024-25 season, in which City will look to extend their unprecedented four-year hold on the Premier League trophy.

    Savinho played a key role during a loan spell with Girona last term, his 11 goals and 10 assists helping them to a third-place finish in LaLiga and qualification to the Champions League for the first time in their history.

    The 20-year-old, who was part of Brazil's recent Copa America campaign, will wear the number 26 shirt at the Etihad Stadium, and could make his debut in the Community Shield clash with Manchester United on August 10.

    "I'm so happy to be joining Manchester City, the Premier League champions and Club World Cup winners," he told the club's official website. "Everyone knows they are the best team in the world right now, so to be here is very exciting for me. 

    "I'm excited about the chance to work under Pep Guardiola, one of the greatest coaches ever, and someone I know will help me improve even more.

    "I had an amazing time in Spain, and I'm looking forward to a new challenge of playing in the Premier League and alongside some of the best players in the world.

    "I can't wait to meet the fans and my new team-mates and hopefully be a part of bringing more success to City."

  • Aubameyang leaves Marseille to join Saudi Arabian club Al-Qadsiah Aubameyang leaves Marseille to join Saudi Arabian club Al-Qadsiah

    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has joined newly promoted Saudi Pro League side Al-Qadsiah on a two-year deal.

    The 35-year-old is the latest high-profile signing for the Khobar-based club, following the arrivals of Nacho and Koen Casteels from Real Madrid and Wolfsburg respectively.

    Aubameyang joins after just one season with Marseille, for whom he scored 30 goals in 51 appearances while also becoming the record marksman in Europa League history.

    A LaLiga title winner with Barcelona, the forward also won the DFB-Pokal during his time with Borussia Dortmund, and the FA Cup at Arsenal.

    Aubameyang stepped onto the pitch for the first time with his new club during their pre-season friendly with Borussia Monchengladbach on Thursday.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.