EPL

Ronaldo appears to hit back at 'jealous' Rooney after Man Utd return criticised

By Sports Desk April 07, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo has seemingly hit back at Wayne Rooney after the Derby County manager suggested the forward's return to Manchester United had not paid off.

The Portugal captain has managed 18 goals in 33 games in all competitions since his Old Trafford comeback, averaging a goal every 148 minutes, but United are out of all the cup competitions and languishing in seventh in the Premier League.

That has led to questions over the capabilities of Ralf Rangnick, the identity of his successor at the end of the season, and United's transfer dealings.

Rooney, speaking on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football, concluded that Paul Pogba should move on and agreed with fellow pundit Jamie Carragher that the return of Ronaldo had proved a mistake.

"You'd have to say no, at the minute," he said when asked had Ronaldo's transfer worked. "He's a goal threat, but the rest of his game, I think they need more. I think they need young, hungry players.

"He's scored the hat-trick against Tottenham, but I think if you're looking to the future of the club, you have to go with younger, hungry players to lift Manchester United over these next two to three years.

"Obviously Cristiano is getting on a bit, he certainly isn't the player he was when he was in his 20s, and that happens, that's football."

Rooney later posted a photo to Instagram of him on the programme, and Ronaldo appeared to make his views known.

"Two Jealous," he replied in a message to former team-mate Rooney, who he played with during his first stint at United, presumably referring to the comments made alongside Carragher.

United will be hoping Ronaldo can quieten his critics when they visit strugglers Everton on Saturday.

Related items

  • Aldershot move into play-off places with victory at 10-man Gateshead Aldershot move into play-off places with victory at 10-man Gateshead

    Kwame Thomas headed Aldershot into the National League play-off places in a 1-0 win away to a Gateshead side who played almost half the match with a defender deputising in goal.

    Gateshead had goalkeeper Nathan Harness sent off in the 47th minute for bringing down James Daly outside the box and, with no stopper on the bench, Louis Storey went between the posts for the rest of the night.

    Storey made a good save to keep out Cian Harries’ free-kick in the 51st minute, but could do nothing as the visitors took the lead 10 minutes later.

    Thomas got on the end of a looping cross from Josh Barrett to head in, and it proved enough for a win that puts them one point above FC Halifax, who host Oldham on Thursday.

  • Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como Respect the process – Cesc Fabregas committed to long-term plan at striving Como

    Cesc Fabregas says Italian club Como must remain committed to their long-term plan even if their progress is expedited by winning promotion to Serie A this season.

    The former Arsenal and Chelsea midfielder is assistant manager at the lakeside club and, working under Welshman Osian Roberts, has guided them into the automatic promotion positions in Serie B.

    They currently have a three-point lead over third-placed Venezia and if they do not falter in their final five games they will return to the top flight of Italian football for the first time since 2003.

    The club have been declared bankrupt twice since then, but the 2019 takeover by Indonesian company Djarum Group heralded a new dawn.

    They are owners with big ambitions and they sought out advice from people in the game, with Thierry Henry and Fabregas becoming minority shareholders, while former England international Dennis Wise has also acted in an advisory role.

    Fabregas is currently earning his full coaching badges and his goals are aligned with the club’s.

    Returning to the top tier of Italian football has always been the plan, with further ambitions of titles and European football in the coming years.

    But Fabregas insists that will only happen if they “respect the process”.

    “We are pushing, we have a clear vision of where we want to go, where we want to get, we know who we are,” he told the PA news agency.

    “We know where we are at the moment and we need to respect the process, take the right steps.

    “We are working well, people are very dedicated, the owners are investing well and smartly.

    “We are all on the same page, evolving every single week to try and create this family, this union, let’s see where we are at the season.”

    When Fabregas joined Como as a player in the summer of 2022, it could have been easy to think he was easing into retirement in an idyllic part of the world.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Cesc Fàbregas (@cescf4bregas)

     

    But that would not be fitting with his work ethic and drive, which sees him one day wanting to be a manager in his own right.

    “I agree that Como is beautiful but if I am being honest my life is work, home, work, home,” he said.

    “Then when I am home I try to be with my family. Even if I was at the end of the world or in another place my life would not change that much.

    “Como is beautiful, we appreciate it so much but my job and my life doesn’t change too much.”

  • Football rumours: Jadon Sancho open to Man Utd return if Erik ten Hag leaves Football rumours: Jadon Sancho open to Man Utd return if Erik ten Hag leaves

    What the papers say

    Jadon Sancho would be open to an attempt to relaunch his Manchester United career if manager Erik ten Hag leaves, The i reports.
    Sancho returned to former club Borussia Dortmund on loan in January.

    Liverpool are set to appoint David Woodfine as the assistant sporting director to work alongside Richard Hughes, with Woodfine returning to Anfield less than a year after leaving, according to the Liverpool Echo.

    The Sun writes that Manchester United will open talks with 18-year-old Kobbie Mainoo over a new contract.

    Social media round-upPlayers to watch

    Arthur Okonkwo: The Athletic reports that Wrexham want to turn the 22-year-old’s loan from Arsenal into a permanent deal.

    Dominic Calvert-Lewin: Football Insider says Everton are keen to extend the 27-year-old striker’s contract, which is due to run out at the end of next season.

    Federico Chiesa: Juventus will listen to offers for the Italian player, who has been linked with Liverpool and Newcastle, after disagreements between the 26-year-old forward and Massimiliano Allegri, reports Tuttosport.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.