EPL

BREAKING NEWS: Bruno Fernandes signs long-term contract with Manchester United

By Sports Desk April 01, 2022

Bruno Fernandes has signed a new long-term contract with Manchester United that will keep the midfielder at Old Trafford until at least 2026.

Portugal international Fernandes has been a transformative figure since arriving at United from Sporting CP in January 2020 for an initial fee of £47million (€55m).

The 27-year-old still had three and a half years to run on his deal, with the option to add a further year, but United have moved to extend those terms.

 

Fernandes has played 117 times for United since making his debut in February 2020, scoring 49 goals and assisting 39 more in all competitions.

The former Sampdoria star's 88 direct goal involvements over that period has been bettered by only five players in Europe's top five leagues.

Indeed, Fernandes ranks first among United players in terms of goals (35), assists (25) and chances created (201) in the Premier League since he arrived.

The new deal is reported to be worth £240,000 a week, which is a significant increase on Fernandes' previous salary.

Related items

  • Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card

    Crystal Palace defender Joachim Andersen has highlighted the torrent of abuse he has received on social media following the club's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield.

    The Danish defender was involved in one of the biggest flashpoints of the game, when Reds forward Darwin Nunez headbutted Andersen and received a red card.

    Andersen was able to get under the skin of the Uruguayan, leading to a rise in frustrations and ultimately to Nunez's angry reaction after the pair clashed in the penalty box.

    While Liverpool were able to cancel out Wilfried Zaha's opener through Luis Diaz, the draw leaves them without a win from their opening two Premier League matches of the season and Andersen was a target for trolls on social media after the game.

    Revealing the abuse on Instagram, Andersen shared 17 images including death threats and abusive messages while urging football's governing bodies to take action.

    "Got maybe 300 to 400 of these messages last night. I understand you support a team but have some respect and stop acting tough online," he said.

    "I hope Instagram and the Premier League do something about this."

    Abuse against footballers on social media has been well documented in recent years and there have been frequent calls for more firm action to be taken.

    On Tuesday, a man was handed an eight-week suspended custodial sentence following racist abuse targeted at England footballers Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford following their missed penalties in the European Championship final against Italy last year.

    Last April, English clubs announced a boycott of social media in response to discrimination and abuse aimed at footballers, pundits and other members of the footballing community.

  • Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus Ronaldo has no interest in Fenerbahce move - Jesus

    Jorge Jesus says Fenerbahce have no chance of signing Cristiano Ronaldo as the Manchester United forward wants to play in one of the 'big five' leagues.

    The Red Devils are reportedly open to offers for the Portugal captain, who only returned to Old Trafford from Juventus last September.

    Ronaldo was on the bench for United's 2-1 defeat to Brighton and Hove Albion in their opening game of the Premier League season, before starting in the chastening 4-0 thrashing at Brentford last Saturday.

    The prolific forward's future has long since been the subject of speculation and Fenerbahce are among a host of clubs said to be keen to sign him before the transfer window closes on September 1.

    Fenerbahce head coach Jesus has ruled out any possibility that the prolific 37-year-old could be on his way to Turkey.

    He said: "Yes, I'm a friend of Ronaldo, But he doesn't want to come, he has other ideas.

    "I think he doesn't want to play in any league other than one of the big five."

    Asked if he thinks Ronaldo will stay at United, the Portuguese replied: "I know that he will not play for Fenerbahce."

  • Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo Neville fears bottom-half Man Utd finish without Cristiano Ronaldo

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United over the ramifications of an exit for Cristiano Ronaldo, expressing his fears the club could finish in the bottom half of the table.

    United's start to life under Erik ten Hag has been woeful, losing back-to-back matches against Brighton and Hove Albion and Brentford to sit at the foot of the Premier League.

    Pressure is already mounting on Ten Hag, who faces a stern test on Monday against Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool, and the final weeks of the transfer window could be decisive.

    United have been linked with a host of players, but the biggest story continues to be the future of Ronaldo, who is widely reported to be pushing for an exit due to his desire to play Champions League football.

    Reports on Tuesday suggest United's stance has changed, with the club now said to be willing to listen to offers for the 37-year-old, but Neville is fearful of the impact his departure could have.

    "I think there's a massive decision they have to make on Cristiano Ronaldo and they're damned if they do, damned if they don't," he said on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

    "A few weeks ago before the season started, these two results, [the] best thing to do was facilitate a move out the club for Cristiano because he's obviously not happy and the club aren't happy with him.

    "The problem they have now is if they lose him, there's nothing left in terms of the goalscoring part of the pitch and I genuinely think if they don't bring players in or if they bring in poor players in and he leaves, I genuinely think they can finish in the bottom half of the table.

    "That's a bottom half of the table team, that's a massive statement."

    Suitors for Ronaldo appear to be few and far between, with Italian giants Inter and Milan said to have rebuffed a potential move, while fans of Atletico Madrid have made their feelings against a transfer clear.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.